• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
I´m going to Rome in October and I thinking about buying some nice leather shoes. How are the italian shoes? Narrow or width? The price?

shoefan

Reaction score
I have shopped at a Roman shoe store called Campanile, which I understand is a traditional destination for successful Italians. I bought a nice pair of shoes, which as I recall were maybe $150 during their winter sale; I don't think they are terribly expensive even when not on sale. Campanile also have matching belts, which is nice if you buy a pair of shoes in a color other than black. I would say the width is medium, certainly wider than the Ferragamo's and Magli's I've had.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How are the italian shoes? Narrow or width? The price?
How long is a piece of string or how expensive are Italian shoes? You can get shoes in Italy at any price point, from the cheap and nasty, via the big brands (Ferragamo, Rossetti, Magli) which are also well represented in the USA, the exclusive smaller makers like Gravati, Mantellassi, Crisci right up to Silvano Lattanzi where the sky is the limit (price wise).

Most Italian shoes only come in standard width (different width are now the sole preserve of the American market). Of course concepts of style (and also lasts reflecting that) vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most Italian shoes will hover between an American D and E width. At the moment, Fashion shoes like Prada, Rive gauche or D & G are extremely pointed and elongated. (Some of the D & G models would suit a clown very well.)

If you let us know what you are looking for, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could someone give a general feel re: widths of the following? For some insight, I wear a 2E in Ferragamo, D in Kenneth Cole.

To Boot (the one pair I have tried on was a D, a little snug but I could live with it)

Alden

Magli

Gucci

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
could someone give a general feel re: widths of the following? For some insight, I wear a 2E in Ferragamo, D in Kenneth Cole.

To Boot (the one pair I have tried on was a D, a little snug but I could live with it)

Alden

Magli

Gucci
Can't comment on the others, but Alden makes its shoes in several widths. The most popular styles come in AAA to EEE.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I remember a shop called Eddy Monetti, primarily a shirt and suit maker, son of founder Eduardo, carried shoes made by small Italian artisans.  They have two shops in Rome and others in Naples.

Also look for Stefano Branchini's shoes.  Those available in US are the lower line, half-hand-half-machine-made models (at Barney's for around $800 or less).  The top line, which are completely hand made just like Lattanzi's are US$2000+, and a rare sight as production is very small.  So even if you are not buying do take a look.  He was the founder of what is now known as StefanoBi, which he sold to LVMH some years ago.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this doesn't pertain to shoes, but....while in Rome, I hope you'll check out some of the stores listed in Flusser's book on where to go. My mother took a trip there recently, and I made her stop in at Roberto Serafini, at 62 Via Condotti. sounds like it would be worth a stop.

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
Sorry for my late response.
Thanks for all the tips, I will see what I have time to visit.

Back to the shoes:
I will primarily use them with proper jeans, occasionally with slacks, and dress shirts and I want the shoes to look quite elegant. I don't know how much I want to pay; it all depends on the shoes.

I searched the forum and I saw that quite many recommended Allen-Edmonds. How about you? I live in Sweden so I would have to buy them over the internet; I thought that I could go to my local shoemaker and have my feet measured and contact their online store and have them recommend me a proper size. What do you think?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we just got 2 new malls here in Richmond that have a Saks, Nordstrom and Franco's, so I will be going to try on quite a few shoes tonight.

sjimison

Reaction score
big bad buff- im in richmond too. isnt it fantastic to find a place where i can try on ferragamo's next to allen edmunds for once.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big bad buff- im in richmond too.  isnt it fantastic to find a place where i can try on ferragamo's next to allen edmunds for once.
it is nice. Clothingwise, all the stores are very small for menswear- but, I won't complain too much. Shoes that I know of in the 3 stores: Ferragamo, Cole Haan, Gravati, Allen Edmonds, Moreschi, Kenneth Cole, Ecco, Mephisto, Magli, To Boot, Pliner, J&M, Mezlan.

Wish we'd gotten a Neiman Marcus, as they carry just about everything I like- but there's always the Tyson's Corner store.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don't ever buy kenneth coles. ever. or shoes made for hugo boss. The leather used in kenneth coles is stiff and uncomfortable. The insides of the shoes are not comfortable unless you're wearing thick socks, which generally look stupid with nice pants. The only good thing about the KCs is that they're good for winter and I don't mind trashing them (ie wearing them to places where they might get stepped on or where someone might spill drinks on them, etc.)

As for my suede loafers by hugo boss, the rubber heels (both of them) now have holes in them. I bought them because they looked nice and they used really nice suede, but I can't believe that they've got holes in the heels after only 2 summers. Not even 2 summers.. Last summer i spent most of my time with oxfords on my feet... Thank god I got them 50% off.

I've made a vow not to touch anything below ferragamo's on the quality ladder ever again.

btw both pairs were purchased before my 'education', which was made possible largely thanks to this forum ;p

ulf

Reaction score
I live in Sweden so I would have to buy them over the internet; I thought that I could go to my local shoemaker and have my feet measured and contact their online store and have them recommend me a proper size. What do you think?
I seem to remember that they sell Allen Edmonds at NK? (I might be mistaken...)

BjornH

Reaction score
I was at NK today, and I think I saw J&M but no AE. They also have Church's but at a price, SEK 4200 ($550).

B

scot

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of kenneth cole shoes, and 2 pairs of reactions. The reactions are cool looking and comfortable, but thats about it.

For the real kc shoes I have 2 pairs of black and a pair of red (lightspeeds). The black oxford style sucked. Heel came off thread is not great etc. The other black one (square front, no idea what the style is calles) is great. Leather was tough, actually bruised my food the first day I wore it, but now they are super comfortable. Love em.

The lightspeeds are probably the best shoes I own. Unbelievably comfortable and I wear them all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads