• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with grey suit + black tie

Knucklehead

Reaction score
^^those appear to be Aldo shoes. Do not get shoes there. take your money to herring, pediwear, or call allen edmonds shoebank.

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace63
UK or US?

I'm thinking about going for red socks with the dark red tie, is this a no no or would it look good?

US. But this should not make a difference, I don't know of a single manufacturer on any side of the Atlantic that charges more for burgundy shoes than black or brown ones.

Some people can pull off red socks with red tie, if the hues are right and if one knows what one is doing. The questions you're asking and the fact that you won't spend more than 40 quid on shoes suggests that you do not know what you are doing. I would suggest sticking with the basics and matching the socks closely to your trousers.

stinsonbass

Reaction score
1st question:

If you really want to wear a black tie .. then go for the black shoes!

2nd question:

Dark! If you have a nice pattern go for it but it should be small

3rd question:

White shirt ? -> almost any tie if combined with the grey suit you mentioned.. have you considered a nice purple paisley tie? (with brown shoes)

4th question:

If going for the original black tie/grey suit outfit a tie clip would look cool but be careful :)

You should check "Neal Caffrey" in Google .. he is from a series called White Collar you might want to check out his pictures from the show.. amazing grey suits almost always wearing a tie clip.. you might get inspired :)

Ace63

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
Some people can pull off red socks with red tie, if the hues are right and if one knows what one is doing. The questions you're asking and the fact that you won't spend more than 40 quid on shoes suggests that you do not know what you are doing. I would suggest sticking with the basics and matching the socks closely to your trousers.

No, I pretty much don't know haha! I'm not spending more than 40 because I don't have the money, if I did I would definitely extend my budget.

I've gone for the red socks but I also have dark grey socks already so if it looks bad I can always change to grey
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads