• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes, Shorts, and Summer sans Sneakers and Sandals

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my head, they would look awful with shorts.

HORRIBLE with shorts.

Don't try to dress down something that has no right being dressed down.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you wear them without socks, or would you go full 90-year old man and wear them with black socks and shorts?

these would look ridiculous with shorts.
Shorts, black socks, Birkenstocks = German tourist in Rome. My gf has a theory that tourists here save money on hotels by booking rooms without mirrors.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of split toed derbys as summer shoes? The split toe design shares similarities with mocassins in the apron, but they are a lace up given the derby enclosure. Might this not be an alternative to the ranger/camp mocs, boat shoes, and loafers suggested, or would this look too formal with a pair of shorts during the day time?

I mean, I am not so sure I'd wear the Edward Green Dover in such a context, but what about something like the Allen Edmonds Bradley? Example:
m_6230dc2d7ec30c762a14e3a7.jpeg

I have this shoe in burgundy shell.
I've never been a fan of split-toed shoes--just my personal preference. But certainly not with shorts.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No because of the whole.

Guys try to justify something works because it shares similarities with other things. It would be like claming a western shirt with french cuffs would work equally well with a tuxedo as a tuxedo shirt.

That kind of reasoning is strange. What do you mean by the whole here? Is it just because we have said "these work with this, but not this?"

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you wear them without socks, or would you go full 90-year old man and wear them with black socks and shorts?

these would look ridiculous with shorts.

Why would they look anymore ridiculous than a pair of loafers? What about them would?

Given the terrible response here, it's clear I shouldn't be doing it. I just want to know what about it.

I see mocassins, loafers, etc, with a similar structure to these shoes and I am told "wear those", but I show you these and you say "don't wear those". So what is the offending feature? Is just a lace up shoe the problem here? Because even on a boat shoe, the laces are more or less irrelevant.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they look anymore ridiculous than a pair of loafers? What about them would?

Given the terrible response here, it's clear I shouldn't be doing it. I just want to know what about it.

I see mocassins, loafers, etc, with a similar structure to these shoes and I am told "wear those", but I show you these and you say "don't wear those". So what is the offending feature? Is just a lace up shoe the problem here? Because even on a boat shoe, the laces are more or less irrelevant.

I mean, the easiest answer is just that they would look incredibly stupid with shorts. Do you genuinely not see that? Is that not enough?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of split toed derbys as summer shoes? The split toe design shares similarities with mocassins in the apron, but they are a lace up given the derby enclosure. Might this not be an alternative to the ranger/camp mocs, boat shoes, and loafers suggested, or would this look too formal with a pair of shorts during the day time?

I mean, I am not so sure I'd wear the Edward Green Dover in such a context, but what about something like the Allen Edmonds Bradley? Example:
m_6230dc2d7ec30c762a14e3a7.jpeg

I have this shoe in burgundy shell.

maybe , with lederhosen ?

fwiw i could see tyroleans with shorts no socks etc

Garrister

Reaction score
I think any of the Rancourt moccasins (camp mocs, ranger mocs, boat shoes), loafers (beefrolls or Eastports ... or other Weejun-like designs), or sneakers are examples of perfect summer footwear that can pair easily with shorts. These kinds of shoes are very versatile. On the other hand, welted shoes with more of a "dress shoe" aesthetic are probably not going to work well. It depends on the design and/or materials used in the shoes but these types of shoes generally are not going to work well -- there are exceptions of course. More specifically, in my opinion, GYW derbies in brown leather are not going to pair well with shorts.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just want to know what about it.

Because they would look absolutely ridiculous with shorts! Similar to wearing a tank top with a suit.

That simple enough?

Norwester

Reaction score

The issues I see are that the Bradleys share so many features common to formal shoes. Hidden eyelets, low contrast stitching and welting, smooth leather (or shell). Here's a photo of my ranger mocs from Alden, which are the opposite in each regard. I think they look great with no-show socks and either jeans or casual linen pants. In a pinch I think they would go with shorts (though that might project sort of a summer-camp vibe). Loafers are probably a safer bet with shorts, given the Ivy tradition.

RangerMocs.JPG

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issues I see are that the Bradleys share so many features common to formal shoes. Hidden eyelets, low contrast stitching and welting, smooth leather (or shell). Here's a photo of my ranger mocs from Alden, which are the opposite in each regard. I think they look great with no-show socks and either jeans or casual linen pants. In a pinch I think they would go with shorts (though that might project sort of a summer-camp vibe). Loafers are probably a safer bet with shorts, given the Ivy tradition.

View attachment 1791183

You see? That explains it 100%. Okay. I get you here entirely.

What about something like this?

Zonkey_Boot_hand_welted_split-toe_derby_shoes_from_snuff_hunting_suede.jpg

You got the contrast stitching, the snuff suede, and the only thing it's missing is that you have hidden eyelets instead of gromets.

Sadly, the soles really kind of ruin this one. Way too dressed up.

But what if this had a more casual sole/edge?

Again, not saying this design. But if you could find a split toe with those features, would it work?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member