• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Shining a Cognac Shoe? Not sure where to begin ...

shekkery

Reaction score
I recently bought this shoe --

http://www.buy.com/prod/stacy-adams-men-s-bedford/246036877.html

and I realized I don't know how to get shoe shine for it? Should I use a neutral color or tan? I've been looking up Cognac Shoe Shine -- but I haven't found anything specific that would help me out yet.

I was hoping someone with experience might be able to recommend me something on Amazon that I could purchase.

As I understand, I've already done a few no-nos (including wearing the shoe without putting protectant on it first ...!)

Thanks for any advice here. I'm quite fashion-stupid.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe is really not worth the effort to put a shine to.

Just get one of those convenience store ready-to-shine rag or applicator and follow direction.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan or light brown will be fine. Shoes are fugly.

Lear

Reaction score
Saphir Médaille d'Or, Cognac, Nº 10, 100ml tin.

I use and like the stuff.

MdO cognac and yellow can be hard to find.

Last edited:

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, as you can see, there is no enthusiasm here for Stacy Adams shoes. If they're comfortable, affordable, and match your style, ignore the mockery. If you can afford to buy better quality shoes (better leather, better construction), consider doing so.

You should be able to get by with tan polish. Look online for more of a cognac color. Saphir is great stuff, and there are probably other, less expensive brands (e.g. Kiwi). I'm sure Amazon.com has something. Kirby at the Hanger Project has the Saphir.

eMacPaul

Reaction score

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shekkery, welcome to Styleforum. Avoid Stacy Adams altogether.
Florsheim Kenmoor (in cognac if you like) is the bare minimum quality you should start with for shoes.

For Cognac finishes (depending on manufacturers and methods) what I do here is wipe with a damp rag, let dry, apply sparingly some leather conditioner, let dry, brush and buff with a flannel rag. Accept scuffs as character. Only periodically will I ever use Meltonian Cognac creme. Overall, the lighter colour the shoe, the harder it will be to maintain that original finish. Also, lighter coloured shoes are not on the essential list. They come after establishing your basic shoes in black, brown and burgundy. Avoid neutral cremes and waxes as they tend to leave an unsightly whitish film on the leather.

Last edited:

shekkery

Reaction score
Guys, thanks! I appreciate the honesty and will probably end up taking some of the advice (minus the fire :)!

Sorry for the late response, but Happy New Years! I'm learning bit by bit, so I'm sure I'll have some more ideas about shoes in the future that I can make better decisions.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, thanks! I appreciate the honesty and will probably end up taking some of the advice (minus the fire :)!

Sorry for the late response, but Happy New Years! I'm learning bit by bit, so I'm sure I'll have some more ideas about shoes in the future that I can make better decisions.

Hello, I suggest checking the shoe care or the vintage shoe threads, loads of information and nice peope willing to help.

Cheers

dogjaeja

Reaction score
I like to use neutral for lighter cognac and chestnut leathers.
It's usually hard finding creams and waxes that perfectly match the shades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads