• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe question

FeloniusMonk

Reaction score
I had Justin Ostrich 5 pairs in the past but never wore them and gave them away, but i saw this sick pair of Lucchese Ostrich i wanted. Also some high end dress shoes
Why didn't you wear the ones you had before? Do you wear western boots on a regular basis? It seems odd to me that you'd have 5 pairs of a style of boot (at once or over time?) and never wear them. And, while I'm not overly familiar with western boots, a cursory search suggests that Justin makes pretty solid quality boots. They're not Lucchese, obviously, but a $200-$400 pair of boots (depending on the model) is generally still going to be pretty nice.

SouthernGent46

Reaction score
Why didn't you wear the ones you had before? Do you wear western boots on a regular basis? It seems odd to me that you'd have 5 pairs of a style of boot (at once or over time?) and never wear them. And, while I'm not overly familiar with western boots, a cursory search suggests that Justin makes pretty solid quality boots. They're not Lucchese, obviously, but a $200-$400 pair of boots (depending on the model) is generally still going to be pretty nice.
wear them sometimes.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ostrich leather is not my cup of tea. I don't see these often either haha (I go to Florida a decent amount). I don't see any merits in spending $700 for only occasional wear. Maybe something that is more practical for you, or you see value in, will serve you better.

SouthernGent46

Reaction score
Ostrich leather is not my cup of tea. I don't see these often either haha (I go to Florida a decent amount). I don't see any merits in spending $700 for only occasional wear. Maybe something that is more practical for you, or you see value in, will serve you better.
Your right that is too much to pay for something i wear occasionally. I live in the deep south where its always hot and not that cold

SouthernGent46

Reaction score
Instead of 700.00 for boots what about 225? They are a used vintage pair of Justin Alligator Boots from the 1990s. Would you pay that much for them? is that better?

SouthernGent46

Reaction score
Instead of 700.00 for boots what about 225? They are a used vintage pair of Justin Alligator Boots from the 1990s. Would you pay that much for them? is that better?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think its wrong? I feel bad. When people are out of work and are struggling to make ends meat and i am buy these expensive things?
don't do it if it makes you feel bad... but I would not worry about it but you could help someone else out that's in need maybe in your family if you are really concerned about it...

S-NMBR

Reaction score
Hello,
Should i feel guilty or bad if i buy a 700.00 pair of boots or 200.00 pair of shoes because people are out of work and struggling to survive? Thank you

In my opinion no.

If you have work hard and save money for anything you like to buy, you are in the full right to buy it without feel guilty.

Eventually is always nice to support some program, charity and give a contribution, I do my best to help people that’s not so lucky like me.

SouthernGent46

Reaction score
In my opinion no.

If you have work hard and save money for anything you like to buy, you are in the full right to buy it without feel guilty.

Eventually is always nice to support some program, charity and give a contribution, I do my best to help people that’s not so lucky like me.
[/QUOTE Thank you so much for your kind comment!

Joytropics

Reaction score
Only $700? This must be the bargain side of Styleforum.

Silliness aside, the ethicist Peter Singer makes a compelling argument that it is wrong to spend when others are in need.

To challenge my students to think about the ethics of what we owe to people in need, I ask them to imagine that their route to the university takes them past a shallow pond. One morning, I say to them, you notice a child has fallen in and appears to be drowning. To wade in and pull the child out would be easy but it will mean that you get your clothes wet and muddy, and by the time you go home and change you will have missed your first class.

I then ask the students: do you have any obligation to rescue the child? Unanimously, the students say they do. The importance of saving a child so far outweighs the cost of getting one’s clothes muddy and missing a class, that they refuse to consider it any kind of excuse for not saving the child.“

i find it hard to refute this argument...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads