• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just some summer sale shoe damage... I'll let you guess the provenance.

GORGEOUS :drool:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my black cap toe oxfords.

From Left to right, Loake Ayr, Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Tricker's Regent, Alfred Sargent Moore and Alfred Sargent Armfield.

nice comparison of shapes. AE is really the least good looking of them all.

Good looking comparison photo. I was waiting for the seemingly obligatory AE jab as soon as I saw the PA's in the line up. I still think people feel the need to poke at AE's simply because they are some of the most common and cost effective quality shoes around. Looking at this photo, I also see some of the most common jabs that people make at AE's being debunked. The Loake is substantially "plumper" than the Park Avenue, and yet, the Park Avenue is often presented as the poster child for being the "blobby" captoe. Also, the Park Avenue is so frequently accused of having too short of a cap toe, and yet, the cap toe looks to be about the same length as all of these with the exception of the Loake. I realize that often it is the combination of the rounded toe along with the cap that makes the Park Avenue look stubbier, while a pointier shoe can perhaps get away with a shorter cap. But, looking at the photos above, I see nothing to complain about.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After some experience with the AE brand, I have only some quality and consistency issues, possible some styling indifference. The captoes don't seem as short as criticized I will admit. I do like the Ramsey styling best though.

Sorry to derail the thread...

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ravello ptb
argyles otc

Last edited:

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its either Santoni or dare I say Magnanni. Medallion looks like Magnanni seleccion but the inside script looks like Santoni.

Bingo on the Magnanni Seleccion! I was surprised myself - I've never been much impressed with regular Magnanni - but these were a steal at $300

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my black cap toe oxfords. From Left to right, Loake Ayr, Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Tricker's Regent, Alfred Sargent Moore and Alfred Sargent Armfield.
nice comparison of shapes. AE is really the least good looking of them all.
Good looking comparison photo. I was waiting for the seemingly obligatory AE jab as soon as I saw the PA's in the line up. I still think people feel the need to poke at AE's simply because they are some of the most common and cost effective quality shoes around. Looking at this photo, I also see some of the most common jabs that people make at AE's being debunked. The Loake is substantially "plumper" than the Park Avenue, and yet, the Park Avenue is often presented as the poster child for being the "blobby" captoe. Also, the Park Avenue is so frequently accused of having too short of a cap toe, and yet, the cap toe looks to be about the same length as all of these with the exception of the Loake. I realize that often it is the combination of the rounded toe along with the cap that makes the Park Avenue look stubbier, while a pointier shoe can perhaps get away with a shorter cap. But, looking at the photos above, I see nothing to complain about.
To be fair, the Loake is wide G fitting, while the others are UK F and AE E. Personally, I am totally with your point of quality and design for PA, and have no reservations with wearing them any day. However, I think people dislike PA due to its overall proportions, not only it has a more symmetrical round toe with a short cap as you mentioned, the entire body is most tubular from the top view, no curves around ball of the feet; and least slimming of the waist from the side view, which attribute to its tube look. So some people find them not as elegant.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads