• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of green boxes waiting for my return home tonight

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black tassels
argyles otc

Last edited:

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for the shoe connaisseurs: will Zonkey Boot online shop have any sales soon? After a quick search on google, it seems there were some reductions in January.

I tried a pair of their suede boots last year in Munich and not knowing anything about the brand I could not justify paying 500+ euros for them. They were on a very modern last (sized like Santoni), waxed suede and super comfortable. Since then I've been wanting a pair. I ordered a few weeks ago this derby in suede, but still want some boots.

I know not everyone's fan of the antique waxed suede look, but in real life these look amazing

Others on the wishlist

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C&J Ghillies for Barneys with the beautiful red Dainite soles having their first outing.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cigar tassels
argyles otc

Last edited:

hanskl

Reaction score
I just came across this article: http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/welts-part-1/

Looking at the illustrations, I have a question regarding the stitch labeled 48. Alden shoes featuring a storm welt has this stitch, however it was my understanding this stitch was faux.

Could some of the more knowledgeable people shed some light on this stitch. C&J storm welted shoes does not feature this stitch.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just came across this article: http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/welts-part-1/

Looking at the illustrations, I have a question regarding the stitch labeled 48. Alden shoes featuring a storm welt has this stitch, however it was my understanding this stitch was faux.

Could some of the more knowledgeable people shed some light on this stitch. C&J storm welted shoes does not feature this stitch.

which modern alden model with storm welt has that side stitch? The side stitch in that diagram is done sans storm welt. Labeled as a 1962 stitch is quite telling, as I have handled maybe a half dozen pairs of shoes with that construction... all made in the 1960's.

When a goodyear with a storm welt has the welt then stitched into the side of the shoe, it usually does not connect to anything and is for aesthetics only. Possible it is done to look similar to a goyser/ bentivegna style stitch where the welt is on the outside of the uppers and topsole (rather than in between).

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alden shoes featuring a storm welt has this stitch, however it was my understanding this stitch was faux.

which modern alden model with storm welt has that side stitch? When a goodyear with a storm welt has the welt then stitched into the side of the shoe, it usually does not connect to anything and is for aesthetics only.

Unless Alden has changed production in the last few years. all Alden 'split-reverse' welts (English 'storm welt') have this stitch. Whether it is structural or just decorative, I cannot say without taking the shoe apart. An L-shaped welt (which is stictly speaking not a 'split-reverse' welt) has this row of stitching to connect welt to upper leather. A classic 'split-reverse' welt is split to half the thickness and half the depth; then the lower section is stitched in place, while the upper section forms a turned-up lip around the shoe.

Usually you can work out if a welt is stitched on the shoe, or has been stitched previously ('bon-welt). Where the welt is joined (presuming it is a 360 degree welt), if stitched on the shoe the stitches are overlapping by at least on stitch. If it is a previously stitched bon-welt, the welt is simply butted and the stitches do not continue through the cut.

In the case of Alden it is difficult to see, as at least the stitching connecting welt and sole are definitely stitched on the shoe. It gets a bit messy, where the welt is joined (on the inside heel), so I cannot see whether the upper row of stitching is cut or overlaps (and I've used a magnifying glass).

But on balance, I would guess the upper row is just decorative

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless Alden has changed production in the last few years. all Alden 'split-reverse' welts (English 'storm welt') have this stitch. Whether it is structural or just decorative, I cannot say without taking the shoe apart. An L-shaped welt (which is stictly speaking not a 'split-reverse' welt) has this row of stitching to connect welt to upper leather. A classic 'split-reverse' welt is split to half the thickness and half the depth; then the lower section is stitched in place, while the upper section forms a turned-up lip around the shoe.

Usually you can work out if a welt is stitched on the shoe, or has been stitched previously ('bon-welt). Where the welt is joined (presuming it is a 360 degree welt), if stitched on the shoe the stitches are overlapping by at least on stitch. If it is a previously stitched bon-welt, the welt is simply butted and the stitches do not continue through the cut.

In the case of Alden it is difficult to see, as at least the stitching connecting welt and sole are definitely stitched on the shoe. It gets a bit messy, where the welt is joined (on the inside heel), so I cannot see whether the upper row of stitching is cut or overlaps (and I've used a magnifying glass).

But on balance, I would guess the upper row is just decorative

I believe all of the Alden cases are decorative beyond question. In fact, tugging at the "lip" of the split-reverse welt usually pulls it down enough to see the inside and reveal that the stitching goes nowhere.

Bengal-stripe, I have used this thread:http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?80069-split-welt-vs-reverse-welt from AAAC (which you actually contributed to) as my source and answer to this question when I first came across it. I walked away from that thread with the understanding that no Goodyear-welted shoes currently in production utilize a second row of stitching that is actually functional. I don't recall the source, but I seem to remember reading that the stitching in the image from the original poster's question above was actually someone's attempt to improve the Goodyear-welted construction's "weakness" of using gemming. The second row of stitching helped eliminate the potential for gemming failure, but it fell out of favor due to being inefficient and unnecessary. I will see if I can find the source that I read that from. Thoughts?

IsteRed

Reaction score

What is it with you and pythons?!  These are crazy; thanks for sharing! :)

I just bought 3 meters of python skin, just trying to use it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads