• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CJ for RL

nephew,
good looking
wear in good health

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whiskey nst
argyles otc

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ravello nst
argyles otc

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cigar indy
argyles otc

Last edited:

kayjaybee

Reaction score
X-Post from the Official Shoe Care Thread. Hoping someone can comment...

Not sure if this would be considered "damage", but I'm a bit concerned with the way the left shoe of my Carmina PTBs is creasing...when I received them I noticed the leather was not as supple as I was used to getting from Carmina. The surface appeared dry and not smooth and the leather was very stiff and not soft like all the other pairs I have.

Well after about 7-10 wears the left shoe is creasing in a very ugly way and I'm afraid I've damaged them. Over the course of the last week I've applied a layer of Reno then some black Saphire creme polish. I let the shoes stand for about 5 days but the leather still felt the same so two nights ago I used some AE leather conditioner, let dry overnight, then applied some neutral Saphire creme polish as the conditioner would not buff very well. I then applied a few thin layers of wax to give them a slight shine but the left shoe would not take a shine as well as the right one, almost as if the leather was different.

The applications of creme and conditioner has seemed to help a bit but as you can see from the pics the leather still looks "grainy" and while a bit softer, it's still not as supple as my other pairs of Carmina shoes. Carmina is known for their fairly high quality calf sources but these have disappointed me.

I understand the left shoe may be a bit too long and that's why they are creasing more but I never expected the crease to be this extreme, especially with quality calf leather. Are the shoes ruined??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#8 lhs
argyles otc

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads