• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Flex welt refers to the sole, and AFAIK all Alden flex welt shoes are goodyear welted. The flex welt sole is impregnated with oil making it water resistant and very flexible.

I don`t think they are water resistant (or any better from regular leather sole). They just flex better, according to an Alden dealer I talked to.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don`t think they are water resistant (or any better from regular leather sole). They just flex better, according to an Alden dealer I talked to.

They might not be specifically designed to be water resistant, but they resist water more than regular vegetable tanned soles. I've noticed this from experience. Also here is a description of the various Alden soles pulled from the web;

http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/rain/

Soles:
Different Alden soles behave differently in the rain so I’ll list some of the pros and cons (of the ones I’ve tried) in regards to wet weather.
Double Leather – Decent wet traction. Absorbs quite a bit of water and can wear down faster if wet. Should be allowed to dry fully between wearings.
Commando sole – The rubber tread provides excellent traction in wet weather. The leather mid layers do soak up some water but the rubber outsole grips well and doesn’t wear down as quickly as leather.
Plantation Crepe – Great traction and rain resistance, but the leather tip can get funky and peel back when it gets soaked.
Flex Welt or Water Lock Sole – This sole has been soaked in oil so water will not penetrate as quickly as standard leather. Good water resistance and traction in the rain.
Neoprene and Cork (Indy) – Probably my favorite sole for rain. Almost nothing to worry about. Good traction on wet concrete and excellent wear resistance.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Flex Welt or Water Lock Sole – This sole has been soaked in oil so water will not penetrate as quickly as standard leather. Good water resistance and traction in the rain.

Interesting...thanx for the correction

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I've been on a "no new shoes" diet for the last couple of months - need to sort some things out for business and be sensible for a while. But my beloved future Mrs Mimo just dropped by with a parcel from Herring Shoes. Sneaky minx told me over lunch that she had to collect some dresses from DHL, but it was these, made by Cheaney and on my wish list for ages:

Not in the league of all you high rollers around here - half price on clearance at a mere $200. But I really love the original "Henley", which I have in beige canvas and tan leather, and when the "Henley II" came out in grey canvas and chestnut calf, then appeared at half price in my size, I was kicking myself for agreeing not to buy new shoes. Now here they are, another perfect complement to my tropical weather linen suit collection. Made my week!

Isn't it great when the ladies understand? :)

Below: the original "Henley",that I've had for a while:

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this must have been overlooked, as I myself also found it just recently, although I was asked upfront the trip.

on the courtesy of Simon C. - enjoy...

I visited Vienna earlier in the week, and took a couple of photos of the shoes in the window of Materna. I thought some people might want to see them, I was certainly impressed by the quality for the money and if I end up with the cash I'd consider their bespoke programme.

I didn't ask, but I think these are elephant:

Stingray:

Some black shoes

And some brown:

Some stunning crocodile:

there's also a well regarded contributor to this thread, who already owns his very own pair and enjoys it.

#13917 - http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii/13905#post_5759098

my personal favorite is the black pingrain. saving my pennies...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads