• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies that it took so long to post these. I have always wanted a pair of the Sandringhams and was able to make the purchase last week. Thanks, as always, to Steven at Leffot for great service.
Someone here wrote that the Sandringham is the most American EG shoe, I would have to disagree. This is a very English country shoe with a mixture of calf and grain. The color is Bauxite Antique with a Rosewood country calf vamp and a thistle. Yes, I like them quite a bit.

this is what I meant by American- chunky, derby wing-tip (and this is cordo too- but that's optional) ...... not a bauxite in two grains (nice shoe BTW)

Edit: not piling on F here, but...
Damn this Dover is a nice shoe. It's all about balance.
the counter is the piece de resistance. not split - rare in a traditional English shoe - and from the rear gives the counter weight. The double stitch arabesque is the lateral balance the shoe needs.
The double sole's consistent with the overall 'heaviness' of the shoe.

I really hate to see 3 fonts on a page, but the stitching thing is part of the charm- the pie crust is awsm craft, and functional on the vamp, and only there, because of the nature of the join; the stitch at the facing has to be single- wouldn't work as double because the function of the double stitching at the counter is to visually balance the vamp.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gerd,
My friend, vive la difference, I am sorry that you don't like them but I absolutely love them. :)

i've been a little harsh. sorry for that... :cheers:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Someone post a Dover so Fritz really goes off the deep end.

not quite. it's the bb/EG connection which drives me sort of insane. look at his latest entry in the vass string.

jerry has found a good match with EG 202. he's looking out for a pair of materna and if i can help him, i'm a happy camper. things are more simple than they prolly look like...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if only they would get rid of the heel counter on the Dover, it would be perfect.
025.jpg

exactly. it's not that difficult... many thanks.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Edit: not piling on F here, but...
Damn this Dover is a nice shoe.  It's all about balance.
 the counter is the piece de resistance.     not split - rare in a traditional English shoe - and  from the rear gives the counter  weight.  The double stitch arabesque is the lateral balance the shoe needs.
The double sole's consistent with the overall 'heaviness' of the shoe.

I really hate to see 3 fonts on a page, but the stitching thing is part of the charm-  the pie crust is awsm craft, and  functional on the vamp, and only there, because of the nature of the join; the stitch at the facing has to be single- wouldn't work as double because the function of the double stitching at the counter is to visually balance the vamp.  

orly, i cannot remember that someone ever made such a strong commitement for a shoe model. iirc, they didn't fit mr. moo, did they?

in other words: the nicest shoe is useless, when the fit is not right. amirite.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not quite. it's the bb/EG connection which drives me sort of insane. look at his latest entry in the vass string.
jerry has found a good match with EG 202. he's looking out for a pair of materna and if i can help him, i'm a happy camper. things are more simple than they prolly look like...
confused.gif

orly, i cannot remember that someone ever made such a strong commitement for a shoe model. iirc, they didn't fit mr. moo, did they?
in other words: the nicest shoe is useless, when the fit is not right. amirite.

thems the breaks

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is what I meant by American- chunky, derby wing-tip (and this is cordo too- but that's optional)  ...... not a bauxite in two grains (nice shoe BTW)

In real life I'm "PC", the person that put in the original MTO for the crup Sandringham at LS. I was specifically going for the "American wing-tip" look. The best way to get that look in an EG was to pick the right last (202), sole (danite or double leather), welt (fudge), and material (crup). I know this shoe is a bit controversial, but they are one of my favorites. Regardless, I actually think that most EG wingtips look distinct from American wing-tips. EG lasts are generally too sleek to look like gunboats.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In real life I'm "PC", the person that put in the original MTO for the crup Sandringham at LS. I was specifically going for the "American wing-tip" look. The best way to get that look in an EG was to pick the right last (202), sole (danite or double leather), and material (crup). I know this shoe is a bit controversial, but they are one of my favorites. Regardless, I actually think that most EG wingtips look distinct from American wing-tips. EG lasts are generally too sleek to look like gunboats.

snap!

yeah best of both worlds- the American styling with an awsm last. love this shoe - great choice

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm partially to blame for frtiz' sweeping hatred of teh EG, but then again look at what he likes:
c'mon son.*

*pB's head just exploded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads