• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falu_al

Reaction score
Hello,

So i wanted to share my experience trying to find good value cordovan leather belts. Finding Alden and C&J cordovan belts can be tricky and expensive, so I went about trying to find alternatives. I'm not trying to rate/review them necessarily, just sharing my experience. Please share your experience as well!

For the record - before I dive in to color/dye feedback - we all recognize that each batch of cordovan has color variation, even though they been through the same dye process. And, say a burgundy will also vary from different tanneries.

Rancourt Color 8 Shell Cordovan belt - USD 215 (Subscribe and get 10%)
I was excited to find another supplier that actually reference the color 8 in the product name. With shells, you can't be too certain about a "Burgundy" and I was looking for a belt that would match my Alden Color 8. The quality of the belt was good, but I was quite disappointed with the finish of the color. It is way brighter than any of my Alden shoes. I guess it could work if you have an older pair of Alden Color 8, that tend to be slightly brighter. Rancourt states that they use either Horween or Japanese "Shinki Hikaku" Shell Cordovan, but I'm guessing the "color 8" name should be trademarked for Horween (please correct me if I'm wrong). I returned the belt, and received great customer service from Rancourt. Sold with brass buckle.
pic4.png

Kreis x Bleecker Belt Whiskey Cordovan - USD 350
Great craftsmanship (although I'm not an expert) and I bought this more out of fatigue rather than to save money. The Whiskey belts are hard to come by, so I snatched it when Leffot had it in stock while visiting NYC. The best way to understand the prize is to consider that it's made from Horween Leather from Chicago, crafted by Kreis in Germany, then shipped back to the US and Lower Manhattan... I think my belt might run a travel blog on the side... Comes with solid nickel buckle.

Allen Edmonds Burgundy Cordovan TAB belt - USD 195 (I got it on Ebay usd 175)
I must say I'm very pleased with my AE belt. The Color I received match my Color 8 perfectly. The seller on ebay claimed that the belt I bought was an older version that came with Horween leather, and it looks to be true. However these days they wont specify the origin of the leather used, which is a bit disappointing. Sold with a Brushed nickel buckle.

Guarded Goods Shell Cordovan Belts - Horween Dark Cognac - USD 195
This was initially thrilling, as I love to support smaller vendors and it is a truly amazing price. The buckle design is sturdy and nice, and the stitching has a very american feel to it. You can choose between Rocado and Horween leather, Rocado being USD 20 less. My plan was to match the Dark Congac belt with my Alden Cigar LWBs. When the belt arrived, I was a bit confused to note that the leather quality, not the dye itself, was very underwhelming. The leather structure is very coarse, except from around the buckle. I have sent a few emails back and forth with Guarded Goods, and they claim the the belt is the condition as marketed, advising me to apply cream and condition it. I had already worn it, so i couldn't return the belt. So I guess with smaller suppliers, just make sure to thoroughly review the belt before wearing it.
Pic 1.png

pic 2.png

Pic 3.png

Looking forward to hear your comments! Any supplier that we should add to these four?

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
That GG belt looks rough. Maybe it will respond if you hit it hard with conditioners, but for $190 I'd expect better.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score

starro

Reaction score
Quite frankly I don't get the appeal of making belts out of this leather. SC is known as one of the least elastic leathers, very prone to ripping. How do owners rate the durability?

Blastwice

Reaction score
Quite frankly I don't get the appeal of making belts out of this leather. SC is known as one of the least elastic leathers, very prone to ripping. How do owners rate the durability?

I own a Carmina shell belt in Navy... It's very dressy, well-made, but a blue latigo belt works 9/10 times when I'm wearing blue shell shoes.

I think I actually prefer more normal/waxy leathers for belts, honestly. Shell is a true luxury belt leather, in that there are pros and cons to it and it really depends on your individual feelings and the look you are trying to achieve.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score

The belts are lined with leather, so they are at least reasonably durable. I've yet to encounter any durability issues with my shell belts.

trg12

Reaction score
The quality of the belt was good, but I was quite disappointed with the finish of the color. It is way brighter than any of my Alden shoes. I guess it could work if you have an older pair of Alden Color 8, that tend to be slightly brighter.

Alden coat their #8 shell with their own finishing. Fading them in the sun or over time will lighten them up, but may reveal irregularities in the leather.

I haven’t owned one of their shell belts, but online they look like they’re coated with the same product.

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Randomly came across Beams Plus shell belts on Amazon Japan, so I thought I'd share:

I got the burgundy — very pleased. It's one solid piece, not the 3-piece construction like Horween belts, for whatever that's worth. But quality seems excellent. And nice price. $173 shipped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads