• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share It Before You Wear It

toplel

Reaction score
Creative 3-piece, yes or no? Waistcoat is navy with a check pattern.

43210869404_76a99ee532_c.jpg

>professionals using the n00b forum for validation

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I get it now. Yeah I see what that person is saying but I don’t think it’s a big deal. Cardigans can be pretty smooth too and even if they’re not I think it’s fine.
Thanks! Will keep adding cardigans hehe.

>professionals using the n00b forum for validation
I did not understood this, sorry. :embar:

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
Quick question, there was a challenge a few friday's ago in which I wore a cardigan with a suit. And I remember someone said that it was a bit incoherent since the suit is brushed wool and the cardigan didn't make sense or something like that. What's the rule in there?

This was the pic:

26156166909_f0d572a80c_c.jpg

How do you take such beautiful pictures? I need some pointers.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
I am recently invited to a church wedding ceremony. I have never been to a church wedding ceremony before, is it proper to wear blazer + loafers? Something like this?

IMG_0125.JPG

If loafers aren't appropriate, can I wear Chelsea instead of Oxford?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's saying you are listening to the feedback of people 10 levels beneath you!

Go with what you feel. It looks good.
Ah! In that case, thanks! Hehehe.

How do you take such beautiful pictures? I need some pointers.
Thanks! Well, it’s mostly the lens, I use a 50 mm f/1.8 and use a remote to take the pics so I can’t get a sharp pic as possible.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
For the dinner/drinking/dancing at night, I usually wear navy/charcoal/black suit, but I want to try out this navy striped suit this time. Is it too business-like?
IMG_0118.JPG

I prefer brown brogues here. What's your advice?

emptym

Reaction score
@RabidOrphan, any of the shoes would be fine for the first outfit imo, but I'd go with the either of the black ones for the second one in the evening.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rabid, I think you are fine with loafers in a church wedding if you are in the U.S. Other places may have different expectations but here you’re fine.

As for your dinner and dancing outfit I would personally stay away from pinstripes. I do think it tends to read very serious and business-like. But that’s just a nitpick as it is likely that few, if any, will object to it. You can still go with a dark suit but if it were me I would go with a solid color and a wedding tie like a silver and black Glen Plaid like this one from Kent Wang.

E24C2D7F-6306-4223-B5FC-21A54E8056BC.jpeg

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
@RabidOrphan, any of the shoes would be fine for the first outfit imo, but I'd go with the either of the black ones for the second one in the evening.

Thanks, I will wear black oxford the next time I wear this suit.

Rabid, I think you are fine with loafers in a church wedding if you are in the U.S. Other places may have different expectations but here you’re fine.

As for your dinner and dancing outfit I would personally stay away from pinstripes. I do think it tends to read very serious and business-like. But that’s just a nitpick as it is likely that few, if any, will object to it. You can still go with a dark suit but if it were me I would go with a solid color and a wedding tie like a silver and black Glen Plaid like this one from Kent Wang.

View attachment 1016308

How about this tie from Ralph Lauren? On sale for half the price.

https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-acc...es/glen-plaid-silk-narrow-tie/0040124042.html

Either way, they won't arrive in time, so I will wear a dark charcoal suit this time with the above accessories. I usually go to 3 or 4 weddings a year, and never thought of a wedding tie. I also lose a lot of ties and pocket squares (drinking. A lot), I am almost convinced that someone I know is stealing them when I get drunk.

I am also boring and unimaginative when it comes to colors. If anyone has any ties/pocket squares recommendations, please link it so I can buy it.

Thanks.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this as a go-to navy blazer option? It's self-striping, not quite herringbone. I guess pinstripes won't play nicely, though I do like the fit.
20180813_191358.jpeg
20180813_191430.jpeg
20180813_191548.jpeg
20180813_191624.jpeg
20180813_190622.jpeg

toplel

Reaction score
I am a clothing n00b by forum standards so take this with a grain of salt.

Since I am a n00b, when wearing a blazer I opt to wear one that is OBVIOUSLY a blazer; coarse fabric, patch pockets. Then no one can say I'm wearing an orphaned suit jacket.

To me that looks like an orphaned suit jacket. I do like the 3-roll-2 part though, that is quite nice.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a clothing n00b by forum standards so take this with a grain of salt.

Since I am a n00b, when wearing a blazer I opt to wear one that is OBVIOUSLY a blazer; coarse fabric, patch pockets. Then no one can say I'm wearing an orphaned suit jacket.

To me that looks like an orphaned suit jacket. I do like the 3-roll-2 part though, that is quite nice.

Good feedback. I believe it looks self striped because it's woven twill. Which almost makes it look orphaned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads