• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF, help me figure out my summer workout plan.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I just got out of high school, and I've got a few days before I start working my summer job. So I figure I'll spend them finishing some last summer shopping as well as figuring how I'm going to begin a workout program.

I'm 18, 6'1, 165 lbs. I'm skinny, but I could lose some pudge and definitely gain some muscle. Now, I don't want to get bodybuilder big, but I wouldn't mind toning up and just looking really defined all around. Again, I don't want any really noticable mass on me, just some definition and maybe a bit of mass. Now, I just have to figure out exactly what I'm going to do--I can figure out my diet if you guys can help me figure out what to do.

I've got an eliptical machine and a treadmill at home. My guess is I'll stick with the eliptical considering my knees will eventually go bad from tennis. I also have a set of weights that contains a squat rack with a barbell and bench, and also some adjustable free weights that go up to 52.5 lbs. So, I was thinking running 2 miles a day would be reasonable since I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm a bit lost on weightlifting. What exactly should I be doing? Are there any programs out there? Again, no bulk since I just play tennis and want to keep my skinny jeans :p.

Thanks for any advice guys.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a lot of workout programs that have been posted, but a 5x5 sounds like the perfect workout for you.

Two day split:

5 sets of 5 reps (with as much weight as you can possibly do)

Day 1:

Barbell Bench Press

Incline Dumbell Bench

Dips or Pullups (if you can do them with your rack, not sure), if not, do 5 sets of 20 pushups or something.

Shrugs (with dumbbells or barbell)

Rows

Military Press

Day 2:

Squat

Deadlift

Shoulder Press

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press

Bicep Curl

Dips

Lift weights every other day, and do cardio in between, high intensity intervals if possible.

yeayea

Reaction score
If your looking to gain muscle, running, treadmill and eliptical will work against your goals.

You definitely want to hit the weights. You will need to join a gym to get all the equipment you need. 50lbs worth of dumbbells wont be enough.

You want a program that uses compound movements that will work several muscles (squats, deadlifts, pullups, benchpress).

You want to eat 4-6 times per day. Lean protein (chicken breast, egg whites, lean red meat) with plenty of green veggies and a low-GI protein (beans, yams, lentils)

I think the program above by drizz is a good one. However, I would change from a 5x5 split to 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps. 8-15 reps is the best range for hypertrophy, lower than that is better for building strength. Also, the 5x5 split is more for advanced weightlifters.

Heres an interesting article:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...e-4-hour-body/

Also www.bodybuilding.com is a good resource.

You might want to pick up a book if your clueless in the gym.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
If your looking to gain muscle, running, treadmill and eliptical will work against your goals.

You definitely want to hit the weights. You will need to join a gym to get all the equipment you need. 50lbs worth of dumbbells wont be enough.

You want a program that uses compound movements that will work several muscles (squats, deadlifts, pullups, benchpress).

You want to eat 4-6 times per day. Lean protein (chicken breast, egg whites, lean red meat) with plenty of green veggies and a low-GI protein (beans, yams, lentils)

I think the program above by drizz is a good one. However, I would change from a 5x5 split to 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps. 8-15 reps is the best range for hypertrophy, lower than that is better for building strength. Also, the 5x5 split is more for advanced weightlifters.

Heres an interesting article:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...e-4-hour-body/

Also www.bodybuilding.com is a good resource.

You might want to pick up a book if your clueless in the gym.

I suggested a 5x5 program because he doesn't want large amounts of hypertrophy and the 5x5 will build strength and definition.

csgrad

Reaction score
I don't think, unless with the help of roids, hes gona wake up one day and say OMG TO MUCH MUSCLE. Worrying about to much hypertrophy should be someone's least concerns, especially for a beginner.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csgrad
I don't think, unless with the help of roids, hes gona wake up one day and say OMG TO MUCH MUSCLE. Worrying about to much hypertrophy should be someone's least concerns, especially for a beginner.

+1. All this people asking how to get toned, but not "bodybuilder"/"steroid Arnold" (channelling Soph
lol8[1].gif
) big gets old quickly. If adding muscle mass were that easy, everyone and their mother would have Mr. Olympia type body.

Oh, learning how to use the search function doesn't hurt either.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, but I think a 5x5 program is simple and allows more weight to be lifted at the beginning of working out which encourages initial hypertrophy, but does not 1) take as long as a traditional split program, and 2) doesn't have as high a ceiling. HST might not be a bad workout either, though, but would certainly be more hypertrophic.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At 6'1" and 165 lbs. you could put on 30 pounds of muscle and simply look like a normal guy.

If the goal is to be a skinny dude with "tone" then cut back on food, start running marathons and don't stop. You'll see those "penis lines" in no time.

My thought is that you'd probably be happier looking like a guy who's strong and fit, so find a reasonably non-idiotic lifting program and eat some damn food.

lefty

Coulomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
+1. All this people asking how to get toned, but not "bodybuilder"/"steroid Arnold" (channelling Soph
lol8[1].gif
) big gets old quickly. If adding muscle mass were that easy, everyone and their mother would have Mr. Olympia type body.

Oh, learning how to use the search function doesn't hurt either.

i think it's until people begin to seriously work out that they start to appreciate how difficult it is to get "good" mass.

yeayea

Reaction score

+1

yes. this sh!t takes time and dedication. especially if you are an ecotomorph (naturally skinny/lanky body type)

on the other hand, weightlifting is not the only way to build an athletic body.
you could always take up a sport - want a swimmers body - swim. want a runners body - run

first think about what you want to create in terms of your body image

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I dunno, guys... One day I did bench press and woke up the next morning with a 52" chest! None of my jackets fit anymore! I went and competed in Mr. Stratosphere, won, and didn't lift for the rest of the evening. Thankfully I was back to normal the next day.

yeayea

Reaction score
I just received this newsletter. Its from a guy who sells personal training programs online. I cut out most of the sales pitches but left his name and website in. It is a response to a question submitted about a 4 week summer workout program.

I think this explains the most up-to-date thinking on the subject in a fairly succinct way. Google search terms you might not know or check out bodybuilding.com (superset, interval training, etc.) Enjoy!

First, get your head right.

a) Give yourself permission to succeed and lose the fat you are struggling with.

b) Sit down and identify the obstacles preventing you from success.

c) List 2 solutions to overcome each obstacle.

d) Reverse goal set from July 25th. Knowing how much fat you want to lose in the next 4 weeks, work back each week and set targets you need to achieve. Then write up actions you need to take to achieve each goal.

e) Check your head again. You're going to need a disciplined 4-weeks. But with every hardship that other people are undergoing around the world, can't we at least commit to a 4-week advanced program and stick to it?

That's not too much to ask. I know you have it in you.

So now that you have shifted your mindset to a success mindset, you are ready to rock with training and nutrition details.

Let's move to the most important of the two, nutrition. It goes without saying you need to cut the junk.

You can have one planned meal per week where you eat small amounts of food that would otherwise not be allowed on a fat loss program.
For example, you can have a slice of pizza OR a burger. But not multiple slices of pizza and a burger and hot dogs, etc. Stay disciplined even during this reward meal.

For the rest of your meals, focus on the following...

a) cutting portion sizes so you reduce calories in (duh)

b) replace grain products with fruits and vegetables - this will help cut calories - simply by volume, you just can't easily eat as
many calories from fruits and vegetables as you can from whole-grains

c) Plan, shop, and prepare on the weekend and one night during the week so that you are never without your planned meal. Remember, we're only talking about 4 weeks here. Not the rest of your life.

So stick to some sacrifices and focus on the big day or week or summer ahead.

Okay, on to training.

a) You'll do three days of total body strength training per
week. I like strength workouts to follow this formula:

- 5-minute bodyweight warmup circuit

- first superset of the most difficult exercises, performed for
3 sets of 6-8 reps (you could even use explosive exercises here)

- second superset of moderate difficulty exercises, performed
For 3-4 sets of 8 reps (I look at this as the "bodybuilding"
superset)

- third superset features high rep bodyweight or dumbbell exercises (a little twist I've stolen and deployed from Jason Ferruggia)

- once per week spend 10-15 minutes on abdominal training

- rotate the main superset to focus on different muscle groups each workout, so that in workout 1 of the week, you might focus on upper body pressing, while in workout 2, you'd switch to lower body, and
in workout 3, upper body pulling.

How does this strength program differ between men and women? Not much, but if you want to gain more muscle, do more volume. If you don't want to gain a lot of muscle, do less volume (i.e. only 1 hard set of 8 reps with weights).

Muscle grows in response to intensity and volume. Cut the volume, and you won't grow as much.

b) Move directly into interval training

I like people to do the strength and interval training on the
Same day. Intervals right after strength training.

This gives you fewer structured workouts per week. More recovery.
Fewer trips to the gym or to the basement, depending on where you
train.

I really don't think anyone can say for sure that doing intervals immediately after training works better than doing intervals on off-days - or vice-versa. I'd love to know the answer...and the only way we'll find out sooner than later is by hearing the feedback from you.

c) On off days, do low-intensity, moderate volume circuits of bodyweight, dumbell, and kettlebell exercises at home, OR,
choose a relaxing activity you can do with your friends or family for
30-60 minutes.

I think there's something to be said for having more days off from structured, high intensity training, but that doesn't mean sit on your butt all day.

d) Never take a day completely off from exercise. So on your
"rest" day, at the very least, do a 30 minute walk. No one is going to
overtrain by doing this, but I can't think of a logical reason why anyone would avoid all exercise for 24 hours. Get up and get moving.

Okay, that's it. That's your plan. The best body-sculpting
Approach you're going to have for the next 4 weeks.

Work hard, stay focused, and have the best body for the greatest summer you've ever had,

Get started today:

==> http://www.turbulencetraining.com/

Sincerely,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Author, Turbulence Training

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads