• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Groupthink

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't love Abercrombie and Fitch, you are just blindly following the forum groupthink, and have no concept of true style.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
If you don't love Abercrombie and Fitch, you are just blindly following the forum groupthink, and have no concept of true style.

Speak truth to power, brother.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been accused of group thinking. I like it that way and will continue to do and say whatever I want about whatever I want whenever I want. I guess that could be construed as group thinking somewhere. Oh well.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I'm actually referring to the opposite. It's not like Biscotti didn't look 17 and totally fish-out-of-water in all his other pictures, but because a couple people kept giving him compliments, nobody told him he looked like a kid playing dress up. And suddenly, since one person has given him a critique, everybody piled on now that they know it's okay to do so.

I tried telling him about the jeans since he joined the forum but never listened so i kinda just gave up. Figured he'd keep doing this until one day it just clicked and dumped the whole dean/brando vibe.

This **** happens all the time when lame asses like srivats realizes that no one thinks he knows anything. I know most of the posters here who dress well could care less what sf approves or doesn't.

masterllama

Reaction score
I think the groupthink is a legit concern.

It doesn't affect every person, but it certainly affects many.

For example, I was in the 3sixteen thread the other day and the first couple posts everyone was bad-mouthing or putting down the jeans. Kiya chimed in saying he had a hand in the design of them and people thought he was making a joke. soon as they realized he wasn't joking, they suddenly jump sides and are talking about how awesome the jeans are.

similar instances are abound.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by masterllama
I think the groupthink is a legit concern.

It doesn't affect every person, but it certainly affects many.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
This **** happens all the time when lame asses like srivats realizes that no one thinks he knows anything. I know most of the posters here who dress well could care less what sf approves or doesn't.

Thank god for thick skins ...

Dressing "well" is a very relative term, you know ... while I do pop over here at SW&D very now and then, I certainly can't see myself wearing most of the outfits here, just like I can't see myself wearing a lot of what people wear at MC. And before people start calling me gramps, I am 26. It is purely a matter of personal taste. However, like in MC, I do appreciate the attention that is given here to quality/fit and I enjoy watching what goes on at SW&D.

I posted the same thread over at MC and it elicited some funny responses and self-depreciating humour with lots of inside jokes. Ofcourse people know me better there, that may have contributed to the nature of responses. My main point in posting this thread was to elicit comments, not to prove or disprove that I know anything. For the records, I know nothing
smile.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Groupthink isn't a forum problem, it's a people problem. The solution is obviously to remove all people from this site.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I know most of the posters here who dress well could care less what sf approves or doesn't.

Just wait. In about another week, I will have perfected my Six Layers of Mister Freedom WAYWT.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Thank god for thick skins ...
This is what we need more of, "fashion" and "style" are subjective so even though there is a general consensus on how one should dress, there are no real rules like there are in MC wear. Too many people get criticised and them get all butthurt about it and ***** and moan about how everyone's ganging up on them

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever heard of the "Wisdom of Crowds" ? The idea is that a huge group of people can often make better decisions in the aggregate than even the smartest individual. (Snotty pseudo-intelectual elites hate this idea). However, each member of the large group must be able to reach their conclusion INDEPENDENTLY in order for it to work.

SF does a terrible job of helping people reach truly independent conclusions since the anonymity of the forums causes people to express stronger opinions than they would in person. All of these opinions are then shared with the entire group in a very efficient manner and those whom disagree are mocked, ensuring the participant's independence is tainted.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a huge issue that 90% of us haven't seen in person 90% of the stuff we comment on in person.

To me half of all raw denim look the exact same, how can you really tell one straight raw jean from another?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Ever heard of the "Wisdom of Crowds" ? The idea is that a huge group of people can often make better decisions in the aggregate than even the smartest individual. (Snotty pseudo-intelectual elites hate this idea).

What you're talking about can apply to econ, politics, and some types of low-level thinking (i.e. the classic example of members of a large crowd guessing the weight of a goat at a county fair and their average guess being somewhat accurate), but breaks down in matters of taste, art and literature.

Anyway, your ad hom attack on a snotty pseudo-intellectual straw man is pretty lame.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
but breaks down in matters of taste, art and literature.

If it breaks down in matters of taste, wtf are we doing here? Don't we assume that this crowd of people called SF have a collective sense of a taste superior to our own? This is how we collectively ignore Xerox, Saters, and Ntrollable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads