• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF approved fat men?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

6' 2-3" 255 lbs. 46 1/2 chest. 42(jeans) 44(dockers)

At the age of 26, you can lose the excess weight in no time. Trust me, go this route because you will feel good about yoruself. I'm 26 yrs old like you. I currently weigh 155 lbs, but I dropped from 220 lbs to 145 lbs in about a year and a half...this was probably 3 years ago. I'm 5'9'' to put things in perspective. You're young...metabolism is still on your side.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heard through the grapevine that a few affiliates have hurt feelings for being left out of the official "SF Approved Fat Men" thread, so please guys, try to include everybody.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not fat, but in honor of this thread, I'll eat a bit extra tonight.

I hope that's helpful.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not fat, but in honor of this thread, I'll eat a bit extra tonight.
I hope that's helpful.

fal2.jpg

doughboysc

Reaction score
I'm 6'1.5" and recently lost 35 lbs altogether (I was at 367 lbs in late-2009), I'm now 332 lbs. My neck size was 19.5", 35" sleeve, 60" chest and 60" waist. But now I'm size 18" neck, 34" sleeve, 52" chest, and 56" waist. Don't feel bad my man! People come in all sizes! :D

Snedley

Reaction score
At the age of 26, you can lose the excess weight in no time. Trust me, go this route because you will feel good about yoruself. I'm 26 yrs old like you. I currently weigh 155 lbs, but I dropped from 220 lbs to 145 lbs in about a year and a half...this was probably 3 years ago. I'm 5'9'' to put things in perspective. You're young...metabolism is still on your side.
That's about a pound a week. He may be young but may be genetically a heavy person.And as far as you, you may have gone down to a normal weight for your height but remember that there was a reason that you became 70 lbs overweight at a young age and that reason is a genetic predisposition because most people (at least when I was young) had a hard time gaining weight. It wasn't just food that made you 70 lbs overweight and since you are still only 26 the likihood of again becoming overweight is pretty certain. This is why I told him to just stay in shape and try to slowly lose but not go crazy thinking about his weight and to look good in nice clothes.
If you're overweight as a kid you have an 80% chance of being fat as an adult.
If both parents are overweight you also have an 80% chaneof being overweight as an adult even if you were slim as a child.
98% of people who go on diets and lose weight gain it back within 2 years.

cincydavid

Reaction score
I'm in my 40s, 6 ft 1 inch, 245, 18 inch neck, 48R jacket, 40 inch waist pants,kinda barrel chested... thank heaven I have big shoulders so I can carry some weight without looking like Tweedle Dum. To me, it's easier to dress-up well than to look good in more casual clothing...a chubby guy can look good in a suit if it is cut well and happens to flatter his shape.

Another thing to consider is how a man moves...a still photo is a lot different than a video of a big, knock-kneed heavy-set guy waddling around, and moving awkwardly. I don't necessarily agree with his politics, but when Bill Clinton was heavier, he looked pretty good for a fat boy. He carried himself well. BUT, he looked like crap in a golf shirt, like a lot of bigger guys do...can't hide the belly and manboobs in a flimsy shirt.

Snedley

Reaction score
I'm 6'1.5" and recently lost 35 lbs altogether (I was at 367 lbs in late-2009), I'm now 332 lbs. My neck size was 19.5", 35" sleeve, 60" chest and 60" waist. But now I'm size 18" neck, 34" sleeve, 52" chest, and 56" waist. Don't feel bad my man! People come in all sizes!
biggrin.gif
Just tell the girls you were a former pro wrestler
biggrin.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's about a pound a week. He may be young but may be genetically a heavy person.And as far as you, you may have gone down to a normal weight for your height but remember that there was a reason that you became 70 lbs overweight at a young age and that reason is a genetic predisposition because most people (at least when I was young) had a hard time gaining weight. It wasn't just food that made you 70 lbs overweight and since you are still only 26 the likihood of again becoming overweight is pretty certain. This is why I told him to just stay in shape and try to slowly lose but not go crazy thinking about his weight and to look good  in nice clothes.
If you're overweight as a kid you have an 80% chance of being fat as an adult.
If both parents are overweight you also have an 80% chaneof being overweight as an adult even if you were slim as a child.
98% of people who go on diets and lose weight gain it back within 2 years.

Everyone in my family is in a relatively good shape. My mom who is in her mid 50s is still in the 100-110 lbs at 5' even.

I was about 175 lbs throughout high school and really gained the lbs in college when I was eating Denny's and drinking alcohol a lot. When I hit 220 lbs, it was the breaking point. I changed my lifestyle, I'm not alcohol free. I started doing Muay Thai. I need to go to the gym at least 4 times a week now or else I get antsy.

The key to sustaining is to consider it a lifestyle change, not a diet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jackie gleason as minasota fats. google image him, that is the most stylish suit wearning fat man

Snedley

Reaction score
Everyone in my family is in a relatively good shape. My mom who is in her mid 50s is still in the 100-110 lbs at 5' even.
I was about 175 lbs throughout high school and really gained the lbs in college when I was eating Denny's and drinking alcohol a lot. When I hit 220 lbs, it was the breaking point. I changed my lifestyle, I'm not alcohol free. I started doing Muay Thai. I need to go to the gym at least 4 times a week now or else I get antsy.
The key to sustaining is to consider it a lifestyle change, not a diet.
Your mother is OK for her height but you really have to look at both sides of the family going back let's say to your great grandparents to see how fat prone you may be. When people attend Uni they are usually at the point when their growing has slowed down or stopped so their real genetic predisposition is starting to show. Kids are always skinny growing up and through their teens (or always used to be) so if you're fat and not even 20 then there is a strong genetic fat component there. Eating at fast food places and drinking was not what made you fat. It may have only contributed to it because I doubt that Dennys is any worse than eating something else and you have to eat, right? Anyone who has to diet or exercise to stay their correct weight is likely genetically prone to fatness. A normal person's basal metabolism rate will keep them steady and at their right weight. Just eating normally and moving around in normal activity keeps them at a normal weight. And btw, 175 lbs at 5'9" in HS is already getting a bit chunky (I was 5'11" and 152 lbs at 18 and that was about normal then) so your college weight gain was already developing from HS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads