• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digital_denim
i tried on the prototype and they I didn't notice that they were heavy at all. Sure a bit heavier than the SDAs. May be the fact that Kiya's already broken the pair in a bit.
21oz in the summer? If it's not very humid i wouldn't hesitate on wearing them.

just for the record..
the ones that are in Self Edge that are prototypes that people have been trying on have not been worn by me.
I only wore them for about thirty minutes during the Chronicle photo shoot, that's it..
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digital_denim
i tried on the prototype and they I didn't notice that they were heavy at all. Sure a bit heavier than the SDAs. May be the fact that Kiya's already broken the pair in a bit.
21oz in the summer? If it's not very humid i wouldn't hesitate on wearing them.

Sometimes actual weight and perceived weight don't really match up. SDA 15 ounces feel heavy, while Ironheart 21 ounces feel relatively light, because Ironheart denim is tighter woven, while SDA denim is quite loosely woven on purpose. And my Spurrs feel really light compared to my Nudies for the same reason, and also because Nudies use an obscene amount of sizing in their jeans, which makes them seem particularly stiff and thick.

Ironheart jeans feel relatively light. I would wear them in summer. But then again, I wear thermals under tees in 90 degree weather, so mileage may vary. The SExIH samples I saw when I was in SF were very well cut.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey kiya, will the SEXIH have a ... generous inseam?

s2kong

Reaction score
thanks again kiya for the help with the okinawas vs. samurais. picked up the okinawas. the denim and all the details are crazy nice.

wish i was taller so i could eventually get some samurais but i see your point about the inseams on those being too long.

maybe i'll consider some ironhearts or flatheads in a few months when my credit card bill isnt hurting so much..

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of selvage straight cut Iron Heart jeans from Self-Edge. I spoke to Kiya on the phone yesterday and was very knowledgable/helpful. I'm really excited---shipping is no-charge and I'm suppose to get it next week! I'll keep you posted, photos et al.

gqcao

Reaction score
I'm planning on to get a pair soon. Here are some of my questions.

1) I wear a 31 (Nudie RRDS) with some breathing room. What size should i get with the Imperial?

2) contextclothing.com has these in 37" inseam. I will have them hemmed to 32", will that make the jeans looks funny?

3) where else i can find these jeans at a better deal than $245?

thanks

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In terms of Imperials.. we will start selling them with free shipping on our website starting Thursday morning.
they'll be 265.00 a pair and we'll have every cut, color, and size that Imperial produces in stock.
if you wear a 31 in nudie with breathing room, you'll probably want a 31 in Imperial. it'll be a bit tight, but will definitely stretch out nicely with some wears.

http://www.selfedge.com

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that house 33 pocket tee is insane. if i can't find it at my place, i'll def mail order it. how much is the tee and the all over hoodie? did you guys get smalls?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Styleforumites,

The February jean of the month, available to forumites for only this month, is that Flathead 5100 Special Edition jeans. These were made in a short run for their tenth anniversary.

The cut is a dead on straight leg with no taper at all. They are straight down from the thighs, so there is a larger than usual leg opening and the cut resembles that of a trouser.

Of course, they are Japanese selvedge denim, in this case, 13.75 ounces. Inseams are 36.4". Shrinkage is up to 3" in length and 1" in the waist. (To get all the shirnkage out in one go, I've heard hot wash and tumble dry. However, if you are like me (lukewarm wash and flat dry only), it'll probably take a few washes. If you are taller, you can keep a longer inseam by stretching the jean out before flat drying.)

Retail is $295. Styleforum discount (ask for it when you order) is 20%, so, $236 this month only. Shipping is free in the US, and $25 for 3 day insured outside of the US. Oh, and each pair comes with a Special Red Flat Head Bandana.

There are good photos on the Selfedge website:

http://www.selfedge.com/2007/01/flat...5100-jeans.php

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'll order these right now but they don't have any 34s.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I'll order these right now but they don't have any 34s.

They run true to size (i.e. a 34 measures to a 34" waist) and shrink in the wash, so I would probably advise sizing up one. However, mileage may vary. You should take the advice of Kiya and co. when ordering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads