• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking cobbler aprenticeship

MrEsco

Reaction score
Hello,

here recently I was let go from my job after almost 5 years.
I was working at Westinghouse solar as an engineering lab technician. but last year the department was downsized and I was moved to the warehouse and soon after I was let go.

Now I am seriously considering changing careers and I am very interested in taking an apprenticeship with a cobbler. I am very good with my hands and have allot of experience with woodworking and leather craft as a hobby. and since I also have an obsession with fine leather shoes and hand made boots I feel I would enjoy the work.
I know I won't Get rich as an apprentice, but my wife is a teacher so its not really a problem for us. I would really like to open my own shop one day and I know I would be very good at it.
It would be nice to do something i can take pride in.

I am 28 and live in Mansfield Texas so if anyone has any information on how I can get my foot in the door somewhere please let me know.

Happydayz

Reaction score
You're in luck. One of the cobblers for Koronya shoes has an ongoing apprenticeship in Hungary. He comes to NY once in a while for a 1 week class, but has also taken on people to be full time apprentices at his location in Hungary.

http://www.shoemakingcourse.com/

Class has been highly regarded. If you search the forum you should also find feedback from someone who went to Hungary actually apprenticed under Marcel. He also has a bunch of youtube videos to boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads