• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My local Nortdstrom rack has a number of Santoni shoes (not handgrade but with leather soles) for $190 a pop (retail was $420). They seem to fit comfortably. Most of my current shoes are AE/Peal/Alden. Are these comporable and worth it at that price?

Thanks

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are more stylish than the shoes you currently are wearing (by that I mean more fashion forward), but you may be seeing some corrected grain on some models.

I'd rather stick with AE

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge Santoni does not make any glued shoes. All are Blake, Bolognia or Moccasin construction.

All of these are quality constructions that result in a durable shoe. They are NOT as thick soled, nor will they stand up to very hard, wet wear as your Allen Edmonds however. Because they are not Goodyear welted. They also will be softer, more pliable and slightly lighter weight.

But if you keep these shoes resoled you will find they should be durable - probably plenty durable for a shoe that is going to go out of style in 5 years or so.

It's up to you to decide if these differences are important to you.

Personally I don't Santoni makes a shoe that isn't worth the sale price you mentioned if you like the style. And when buying 'stylish' shoes I don't like to invest in a shoe meant to last forever. 'Cuz I'm don't intend to wear them forever.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni everyday. I'm big fan of this Italian brand. But the got alot of average models too. It really depends on what kind of shoes your hunting on.

Last edited:

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To my knowledge Santoni does not make any glued shoes. All are Blake, Bolognia or Moccasin construction.

All of these are quality constructions that result in a durable shoe. They are NOT as thick soled, nor will they stand up to very hard, wet wear as your Allen Edmonds however. Because they are not Goodyear welted. They also will be softer, more pliable and slightly lighter weight.

But if you keep these shoes resoled you will find they should be durable - probably plenty durable for a shoe that is going to go out of style in 5 years or so.

I also find this to be true for Santoni shoes that retail for less than $500. Santoni does make some shoes that are not thin soled and can stand up to hard and wet wear. The construction is much better than AE, but the retail is much more than $500.

jqmunro

Reaction score
My problem with AE's is that they look too stubby and wide. With that said, a lot of Italian shoes take it to the other extreme being too long and narrow.

What are a few good lines that take the middle road?

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some models of Crockett & Jones.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have not found that to be the case overall, although I will admit that santoni's upper stitching is more even

AE Can't compare to Santoni. Even Santoni's lowest line shoes are superior. They DO retail for more, though.

they are more stylish than the shoes you currently are wearing (by that I mean more fashion forward), but you may be seeing some corrected grain on some models.

I'd rather stick with AE

AE definitely uses corrected grain leather on many of their models now.

Jaggs

Reaction score
Just got these of eBay for a wonderful price, most likely because they are 13Bs. They are thin soled and delicate in an awesome Italian loafer kind of way. Big fan.

Last edited:

david123

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Santoni suede ankle boots off ebay and they are very well constructed and seem extremely durable. I wouldn't worry too much, although I'd also guess that for comparable shoe types, AE will last longer.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

although I'd also guess that for comparable shoe types, AE will last longer.

I wonder why.

we are going to agree to disagree.

I have never understood exactly what this saying means. Is it necessary for one to agree that a disagreement exists? Seems like a waste of emotion. Anyway, what's your frame of reference? Have you owned many pairs of each brand and can make an educated guess based on hands-on experience?

fss

Reaction score
For the record, Santoni does make GY-welted shoes. I feel there's a huge difference in quality and styling between the different lines Santoni is offering in the US and Europe. I've seen awesome pairs that can easily match C&J and better shoes, I've also seen mediocre pairs that didn't impress me in any way. So it's hard to tell whether it's a good deal or not.

I am very happy with the pairs I own, quality wise I can't complain. Mine are blakes with the orange color inside. I cannot compare them with AE/Peal/Alden though. I can post some pics if interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads