• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salesperson retort

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Purple Label is the same quality as Isaia and Charvet for less money"

Not being a tailor I won't pretend to really be able to tell the difference, but from my personal experiences with the shirts I don't believe this to be the case.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
"Purple Label is the same quality as Isaia and Charvet for less money"

Not being a tailor I won't pretend to really be able to tell the difference, but from my personal experiences with the shirts I don't believe this to be the case.

Are PL cheaper than Isaia shirts at retail? I have no idea but would be mildly surprised.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a scenario like this happen to me twice so far, once with shirts and once with shoes.

me in Gucci: Do you have this shoe in a 9

girl: no but I have it in an 11

me: oh, do they run true to size or......

girl: yes they do, do you want to try the 11?

I was also told that "shirts in the US only go by neck size, they only measure sleeve length in Italy"

dl

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ikemen
me: looking at some otr shirts at a dept store

he: "they are 100% percent cotton shirts"

Maybe you were shopping at a ghetto department store.

Originally Posted by dl20
I was also told that "shirts in the US only go by neck size, they only measure sleeve length in Italy"

That's funny.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anything that silly in stores. I've discovered if a salesperson that's too eager to make me try something on in a shoe store, I can just ask them "is this goodyear welted?" and that usually confuses and stifles them. It's a handy tool.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not offended by salesmen making any type of comment really. Many of us know more about the merchandise being sold in these stores than the people selling them and that is fine. I hardly ever require any assistance in stores save for finding a size not out on the floor.

I recently started having bespoke items made by an old timer in philly. The guy has tons of wisdom and I always try and go in when I know I have 2 hrs to spare. Hes a great source of knowledge.

DL

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Are PL cheaper than Isaia shirts at retail? I have no idea but would be mildly surprised.

Isaia in Canada are about $500-$550 at full retail, RLPL at full retail are $325-$360. Another reason I wait until I go to Detroit to shop.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
I'm not offended by salesmen making any type of comment really. Many of us know more about the merchandise being sold in these stores than the people selling them and that is fine. I hardly ever require any assistance in stores save for finding a size not out on the floor.

Yeah, most times, especially in department stores like Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, etc. the sales staff is mostly just to be tolerated, and if I'm lucky I'm left alone until it comes time to checkout.

Some sales people just seem to have the knack of being useless it's almost funny. I was at Nordstrom's this past weekend picking up some socks and in the 10 minutes or so I was broswing and choosing through them, a sales girl stopped by three times asking if I needed any "help". Umm, I didn't think I looked so helpless just picking out some socks. And then, when I was ready to check-out, I couldn't find anyone at any of the nearby counters. I was starting to think there was a hidden camera somewhere...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Yeah, most times, especially in department stores like Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, etc. the sales staff is mostly just to be tolerated, and if I'm lucky I'm left alone until it comes time to checkout.

Some sales people just seem to have the knack of being useless it's almost funny. I was at Nordstrom's this past weekend picking up some socks and in the 10 minutes or so I was broswing and choosing through them, a sales girl stopped by three times asking if I needed any "help". Umm, I didn't think I looked so helpless just picking out some socks. And then, when I was ready to check-out, I couldn't find anyone at any of the nearby counters. I was starting to think there was a hidden camera somewhere...

It is kind of ironic how sometimes you just want them to shut the **** up, but then when you want to check out, you have to either A) search them out or B) act like you're confused with a potential purchase, at which point 5 of them will come out of the woodworks and flock to you.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It is kind of ironic how sometimes you just want them to shut the **** up, but then when you want to check out, you have to either A) search them out or B) act like you're confused with a potential purchase, at which point 5 of them will come out of the woodworks and flock to you.

+1,000,000.

That's why it's good to know the staff at stores where you shop. After awhile everyone there will know you deal with one particular salesperson, so they won't all swarm you. Hopefully that salesperson will learn to tell when you want to be helped, and when you're just browsing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads