• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks Sale visit

VacheronMD

Reaction score
So I stopped by Saks in Boston today after work to preview some of the things they had...not alot of rarities, but they had enough sale items to maybe warrant a 15-20 minute visit if you need some essentials. The SA told me to pick out anything today on the sales racks, and they would hold it for me until Thursday, where all sales items will be 25% off. There are a good amount of suits from Canali, Boss, HSM, etc., but nothing that was amazing. With the discount, a Canali could be had for $600. On the casual racks, I found a medium gray size 52E/42r Prada suit, that would be a decent steal with the 25% off the already discounted price of $620.

The SA also notified me that there will be much more clothing coming in on Thursday for consolidation with the extra 25% off, so I might check it out.

To all the NYC'ers, how does it fare over there? Are there any deals to be had like a few months ago during the odd suit sale?

Best regards.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the Saks sale ended already? The Huntington Saks now only sells ****** Hugo Boss and some unknown brand suits and Ed Hardy. No casual men's clothes what so ever.

VacheronMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
I thought the Saks sale ended already? The Huntington Saks now only sells ****** Hugo Boss and some unknown brand suits and Ed Hardy. No casual men's clothes what so ever.

Started a day ago here. Main sale is on Thursday.

oroy38

Reaction score

Out of curiosity, what makes Hugo Boss so deplorable? I have 2 suits from Hugo Boss (Jam/Sharp) and I would be hard pressed to find a suit that fits me better (short of going bespoke), and I'm quite pleased with the craftsmanship.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
Out of curiosity, what makes Hugo Boss so deplorable? I have 2 suits from Hugo Boss (Jam/Sharp) and I would be hard pressed to find a suit that fits me better (short of going bespoke), and I'm quite pleased with the craftsmanship.

If you do a search for Hugo Boss you will find many detractors, usually due to construction, shoddy workmanship, etc. However, if they fit you well and you are OK with fused jackets and machine stitching, so what!

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Just FYI, I was at the Saks store in Las Vegas on the weekend and Saks in-house label suits are on for $$260 with all the discounts, after taxes. $995 reduced to $494 minus another 50%. Good deal for your basic, made in Canada fused suit. Not sure if this is only the Vegas store though.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
No working sleeve buttons, horrid fabric, giant armholes, single vents, unflattering cuts, single vent only.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
No working sleeve buttons, horrid fabric, giant armholes, single vents, unflattering cuts, single vent only.

Is this response a joke? Why would you ever want working button holes on a RTW jacket? And single vent is a preference. In reply to the original question of what makes Hugo Boss bad, I would say for the price of the suit you could get an overall better made piece although it might not be the cut you're looking for (EG: Polo Ralph Lauren)

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
Is this response a joke? Why would you ever want working button holes on a RTW jacket? And single vent is a preference. In reply to the original question of what makes Hugo Boss bad, I would say for the price of the suit you could get an overall better made piece although it might not be the cut you're looking for (EG: Polo Ralph Lauren)

A suit is a suit, MTM or RTW, you use it for the same purposes, thus why should one have working buttons and other can't. Your statement makes no sense.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit is a suit, MTM or RTW, you use it for the same purposes, thus why should one have working buttons and other can't. Your statement makes no sense.

It does, kid. Because if you have working buttons holes on RTW, it makes it that more difficult to shorten the sleeves. If you're buying a cheap RTW, why would you want to spend the signficant cost of having the sleeve taken up from the sleeve head. Not the easiest operation.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It does, kid. Because if you have working buttons holes on RTW, it makes it that more difficult to shorten the sleeves. If you're buying a cheap RTW, why would you want to spend the signficant cost of having the sleeve taken up from the sleeve head. Not the easiest operation.

+1

I always, like most, need the sleeves shortened because I have an exact length I want them. Working button holes on RTW is a waste, a good jacket should come prepped for the working buttons rather then the faux working buttons (these drive me crazy...) or already attached like you seem to buy them...

fatherseanfan

Reaction score

You can find Boss suits with dual vents quite easily.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Not to derail an already derailed thread, but has anyone in NYC been to Saks and can you report on the sale (if there is one going on)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads