• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks Cutting 1,100 Jobs

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
How much do sales people at Saks and NM make on average? I've always wondered why they have so much attitude.

think about not what you make but the employee discount!!

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I had one of the worst SAs attend to me in the SF Saks (first floor of the men's store - a female, in her 50s, looked to be of middle eastern descent), in December. Even when it was obvious that I was ready to make a purchase, she made me wait while she ran an errand and then rung up the purchase as if I were imposing on her day. If I knew that big layoffs were coming, I would be kissing the ass of every customer there was 1 ) in hope of ringing up big sales, so that it reflects on my report, and 2) in hope that customer feedback might make it back to my manager/HQ.

I considered filing a complaint, but decided that it might be bad karma.

would that be the one with the enormous knockers?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Salespersons at Nebraska Furniture Mart (local furniture store of Buffet fame) make six figures, so some salesperson at Saks has to be making that money.

Srsly? I mean I don't think sales people of clothes make a lot more than any other sales people. It's not like Saks actually sells a lot of stuff anyway. I hate their employees, always on a ******* phone. I want to shoot them. John and I had a really annoying one the last time we went. The Bond #9 girl even asked for my number because she said her husband was sleeping around.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Saks goes BK. They're in a world of hurt and significantly over-levered. Just because they're a company that is well regarded in our circles doesn't make them immune to the market.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Not a chance.

The economy has made them fewer and farther between. But there are plenty of sales associates still out there that do 6 figures.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Srsly? I mean I don't think sales people of clothes make a lot more than any other sales people. It's not like Saks actually sells a lot of stuff anyway. I hate their employees, always on a ******* phone. I want to shoot them. John and I had a really annoying one the last time we went. The Bond #9 girl even asked for my number because she said her husband was sleeping around.

And thats supposed to be a bad thing
confused.gif

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I had one of the worst SAs attend to me in the SF Saks (first floor of the men's store - a female, in her 50s, looked to be of middle eastern descent), in December. Even when it was obvious that I was ready to make a purchase, she made me wait while she ran an errand and then rung up the purchase as if I were imposing on her day. If I knew that big layoffs were coming, I would be kissing the ass of every customer there was 1 ) in hope of ringing up big sales, so that it reflects on my report, and 2) in hope that customer feedback might make it back to my manager/HQ.

I considered filing a complaint, but decided that it might be bad karma.

I have had similar experiences strangely enough with women of middle eastern descent. It's either they can't be bothered or really aggressive. I've talked to a few of their fellow employees as I looked for someone else to help me and they have said on two different occasions that they are usually in the top of sales at their stores. I guess there are people that aren't bothered and actually respond positively to this kind of help ( I mean the aggressive type). I have also noticed that it's usually middle eastern people who are approaching people cold from their kiosks to have them try some weird product. I have to say that part of me admires the thick skin it takes to do something like that. Sorry I realize this is veering from the OP.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
Very few sales associates at these two stores make six figures. Commission typically is 8% of whatever you sell. Usually only the top associate in each department does $1 million or more annually. So maybe the top suit salesperson, top sportswear, and top shoe salesperson makes 6 figures. I would say $40-$65K is what most of them are making.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
Top sellers usually because they are given a little title like pacesetter, it goes straight to their heads, and they believe they are very high and mighty because they do a job that even someone without a highschool degree can do. When they are with a personal customer that they know will buy alot their demeanor changes alot.

The average person is bitter because they can't sell as much as the top seller, and gets to watch him/her on the sidelines as they make pretty big sales.

I prefer online shopping so I can buy stuff hassle free but too bad, clothing/shoes most of the time requires trying to make sure the fit works and looks ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads