• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I've liked the SLP leathers since they came out, and I think I want to get one some time in the coming months. Couple questions for you folks: How much should expect to pay for a (new) one? I'm expecting somewhere between $3-5k for one of the standard biker jackets (L01 maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong) in lamb or calf, but a more accurate number would be great. And which leather is generally accepted to be the "better" material for the design? I have a black calf 5 Zip now and a black lamb Toj BCDR on the way, so I'm lacking neither. I'd rather pick whichever is "best" for the design (aka if the lamb is too flimsy for the hardware, or if the calf is too stiff). I was at the Saint Laurent stores in Chicago (in March), LA (May), and Vegas (June) this year, but didn't try anything on, but I intend on doing so before I purchase the jacket.

Thanks!

Calf leather was much more substantial and relatively flawless last time I went to a SLP boutique.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my limited experience of trying on and owning things, it's more about picking certain items out every season. A lot of brands I generally enjoy are really hit or miss on quality whether it be materials or construction (Margiela, Jil, Dries). Like I mentioned earlier though, I think DH overall is still nicer than SLP in a similar aesthetic - usually a bit pricier too FWIW. As far as the artisanal stuff goes, I've handled some and I own one or two things, but someone like @Fuuma would be a much better resource.

No designer stuff is a good "value" really after all...

Last edited:

Illithid Dude

Reaction score
Quote:
Take to size
Quote:
Are you talking about KVA Dior or Hedi Dior? I've found that KVA Dior is better quality then Hedi Dior, but the aesthetic is... lacking. Hedi Dior was really bad in terms of quality from SS05-SS06, but picked up in the final two seasons. Early Dior, of course, was incredibly quality-wise. If you ever find any SS02 or AW02, you will have a garment that will last you quite some time.

Last edited:

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I would say the same applies to SLP. The first 2 seasons of items are still holding up incredibly well for me - Jeans, sneakers, button ups, even t-shirts. No holes or stray stitching and these are items that I wear into the ground. Can't say the same for items i've gotten in the last year or so.. Sneakers wear out quicker, raw jeans I wore for 3 months are thrashed with holes/blow outs and t shirts have developed holes after only 3 hand washes. Not saying every item is indicative of this obviously, but just my experience with the same type of items from differing seasons.

Babar

Reaction score
Quality wise I'd say SLP is really good. The construction and choice of fabrics is spot on for pretty much all garments I've handled (especially the more expensive suits, wool coats etc). Even the "grunge" shirts have impeccable silk lining.. The fabrics commissioned by Hedi really seem different to what most designers use these days.

The footwear is spot on as well ime. They're not necessarily super durable (I'd certainly not wear the boots in heavy rain etc) but the quality and craftsmanship is there.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there really much of a difference between the D01 raws made in Italy vs Japan?

This seller has two MII up in my size for $200 ea as opposed to another seller with the same size but MIJ for $100 more.

Just curious. I've read on here that the Japanese have better dying techniques.

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171402365171

Also scratching my head as to why they're so cheap with free shipping from Belgium. Fakes?

skiam

Reaction score
Just very curious. Can an athletic build fit into any SLP jeans at all? I have very large calves (15.75" around) but still can fit into nudie jeans (31s in grim tim and 32s in tape ted).
Would love to try them on somewhere but no local store carries any.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

In my limited experience of trying on and owning things, it's more about picking certain items out every season. A lot of brands I generally enjoy are really hit or miss on quality whether it be materials or construction (Margiela, Jil, Dries). Like I mentioned earlier though, I think DH overall is still nicer than SLP in a similar aesthetic - usually a bit pricier too FWIW. As far as the artisanal stuff goes, I've handled some and I own one or two things, but someone like @Fuuma would be a much better resource.

No designer stuff is a good "value" really after all...

DH and Lanvin have better suiting, if you want to stay with well-known french brands. TBH it's not like it matters that much, SLP jackets are good enough from what I can tell. I just hate the general look and the way people style it. Astérix on sufu wears it in a very minimal way and it is fine, it's just slim black jeans, a white tee, a nice leather rider and black boots. Problem is unless you have a very slim body you don't get the SLP look, you have to be extremely careful.

note: I had a really bad experience with Lanvin knits a few yrs ago and stopped buying from them + the brand fell off but last time I went to the shop reg suiting was still A+.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Just very curious. Can an athletic build fit into any SLP jeans at all? I have very large calves (15.75" around) but still can fit into nudie jeans (31s in grim tim and 32s in tape ted). 
Would love to try them on somewhere but no local store carries any. 

It's not a matter of fitting in them, but of looking like you want to. I really don't see the point but a guy like Beckham might disagree, I guess the best is to avoid shopping online and trying a bunch of pairs at the shop, maybe along other well liked brands like DH and APC.

SLP leather fit: they look best if you're not very tall, tried the exact same model with a friend who modelled for some of the forum's favourite brands and he looks marsupialed (190-192cm) while I (173cm, maybe 1-2 more not too sure) usually look quite good in their jackets, leaving aside typical salesman/woman fawning. He's a 48 I'm a 46 but he absolutely had to size up and it killed the look. SLP is like the reverse Paul Smith, most of it looks better on shorter people. That cropped **** only works with a few pieces.

Somatic

Reaction score
Quote:

Damn, k. That's about what I was expecting. I can only find it in my size at YSL boutiques for full price. Doesn't seem to really be carried anywhere else this season for some reason. Just had to ask since I found one that is 1/2 the price but it's a size up from my usual size.

DarkSpiral

Reaction score
Does anybody know when this season's destroyed denim is going to hit the stores? It seems like it's been months since it was first available for pre-order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads