• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Just got the black learher harness boots from FW22. Although I wish I could get my hands on the 2013 version with exposed zippers and slimmer shaft I love these. Actually the shaft seems a bit snug for me. I went a full size down from my usual size which is a US 9.5 so this is a 41.5 (8.5US). In the chelseas 41.5 was perfect and I had no issues. But with these I can barely zip them up fully so I have to zip it up around half way only for it to be comfortable. Is this normal for brand new harnesses and does it stretch over time in the shaft? Also the silver hardware on them has black marks on it. Is this normal and how can I get rid of them?
View attachment 1870815 View attachment 1870816

Most leather boots will stretch slightly and become more comfortable after a lot of wear but not to the extent that a boot that's too tight and can't close properly will become comfortable. You also have to keep in mind that when you're dealing with a zipper you can't put too much pressure on it (the little strip of leather behind the zipper helps, but only to a certain extent).

I'm not sure how bad they feel, but from your comment I can tell you I wouldn't take that risk. Nothing worse than having an item in your closet that's really nice but doesn't fit properly or is uncomfortable.

cjmorris21

Reaction score
That's really unacceptable and they shouldn't get away with that. I've never bought anything from YSL directly but usually I've heard good things about their customer service.

I mean I went through the effort of showing them that the shipping weight matched the weight of the items completely but that wasn't good enough for them. The woman was a complete ***** about it too, essentially she said "I'm sorry but I'm not sorry.". I wanted to write a letter to their headquarters and have it air mailed to Paris but I never got around to it. I don't care how much money you have, losing $550 will make anyone furious. Amazon would have refunded that money in a heartbeat. I had a solid order history with them as well, now I do not order from them directly anymore. I enjoy the brand too much to boycott it but I will not be put in a position to deal with their customer service again.

daniel2001

Reaction score
Most leather boots will stretch slightly and become more comfortable after a lot of wear but not to the extent that a boot that's too tight and can't close properly will become comfortable. You also have to keep in mind that when you're dealing with a zipper you can't put too much pressure on it (the little strip of leather behind the zipper helps, but only to a certain extent).

I'm not sure how bad they feel, but from your comment I can tell you I wouldn't take that risk. Nothing worse than having an item in your closet that's really nice but doesn't fit properly or is uncomfortable.
Can you also tell me about the black marks I mentioned?
In terms of fit I'm afraid that if I size up it would be too big in the foot area because right now it's a perfect fit there and it's only tight in the shaft if all the way zipped up. Does the shaft stretch at all? It's not too bad right now so I can wait for it to break in if the shaft does indeed stretch a bit.

daniel2001

Reaction score
I mean I went through the effort of showing them that the shipping weight matched the weight of the items completely but that wasn't good enough for them. The woman was a complete ***** about it too, essentially she said "I'm sorry but I'm not sorry.". I wanted to write a letter to their headquarters and have it air mailed to Paris but I never got around to it. I don't care how much money you have, losing $550 will make anyone furious. Amazon would have refunded that money in a heartbeat. I had a solid order history with them as well, now I do not order from them directly anymore. I enjoy the brand too much to boycott it but I will not be put in a position to deal with their customer service again.
Yeah I'm also too much in love with SLP to not buy their products, but I never pay full price anyway so I never buy directly from them.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of fit I'm afraid that if I size up it would be too big in the foot area because right now it's a perfect fit there and it's only tight in the shaft if all the way zipped up. Does the shaft stretch at all? It's not too bad right now so I can wait for it to break in if the shaft does indeed stretch a bit.
I'm not recommending you do this, and if you do, I would first go do some research online. But, you can usually stretch out leather in a particular place if you blow dry it while wearing the shoe.

Adamdraps

Reaction score

If you can't zip them up, they're too small. Get a half size up and wear thick socks or get an insole to put inside. You'll be fine.

can you take an up close photo of the black marks?

Bling

Reaction score
I'm not recommending you do this, and if you do, I would first go do some research online. But, you can usually stretch out leather in a particular place if you blow dry it while wearing the shoe.

I would go up a size. Footwear that is too tight eventually collects dust.

I have Wyatt Chelseas and they are not tight on my feet anywhere. I wear them everywhere. I highly doubt anyone can look at a pair of shoes and say, that’s a size too big.

Just my opinion.

daniel2001

Reaction score

I have Wyatt Chelseas and they are not tight on my feet anywhere. I wear them everywhere. I highly doubt anyone can look at a pair of shoes and say, that’s a size too big.

Just my opinion.
Well my chelseas in the same size fit absolutely perfect tho and they're also leather so it's surprising that this is happening with these

daniel2001

Reaction score

Just my opinion.
But I can fully zip them up. I was just saying it feels snug when I do but it's doable. Are you sure it won't stretch at all?
And I'll post closeups when I get the chance to.

Bling

Reaction score
But I can fully zip them up. I was just saying it feels snug when I do but it's doable. Are you sure it won't stretch at all?
And I'll post closeups when I get the chance to.

I’d worry about that zipper getting worn down. At the same time, if you like them and wear them, who cares.

One thing you could try is buying a good pair of boot trees (which are good to own in any case).

daniel2001

Reaction score
I’d worry about that zipper getting worn down. At the same time, if you like them and wear them, who cares.

One thing you could try is buying a good pair of boot trees (which are good to own in any case).
Does the shaft stretch at all?
If it stretches just a little it'll be perfect. It's already perfect everywhere else.
Most people get the harness boots the same size az CP achillies and it fits perfect. I actually sized up half a size from my CPs and this is the case which is interesting. My CPs were also pretty tight at first but now they're perfect.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have SLP combat boots I think they're called, really beautiful, side zipper, maybe from 2013 or 2014. They fit snug and they are worn about .05% of the time compared to my other boots. It's just not worth it for me.

daniel2001

Reaction score
If you can't zip them up, they're too small. Get a half size up and wear thick socks or get an insole to put inside. You'll be fine.

can you take an up close photo of the black marks?
I've attached some closeup pics of the hardware and as you can see it has black marks all over it. And I also posted a pic of what it looks like when all the way zipped up. I know it looks weird with sweatpants but I just wanted to quickly take a pic lol
They do feel tight a little bit when zipped up fully but it's not unbearable.

Attachments

• B6398589-46F7-494E-BF97-B4F496459B6C.jpeg
    B6398589-46F7-494E-BF97-B4F496459B6C.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 78
  • F54295B8-7ACC-42ED-91F1-86F0D6F6CDBF.jpeg
    F54295B8-7ACC-42ED-91F1-86F0D6F6CDBF.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 60ACB078-70E4-4F11-AAB9-360A728E03E1.jpeg
    60ACB078-70E4-4F11-AAB9-360A728E03E1.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Adamdraps

Reaction score
I've attached some closeup pics of the hardware and as you can see it has black marks all over it. And I also posted a pic pf what it looks like when all the way zipped up. I know it looks weird with sweatpants but I just wanted to quickly take a pic lol
They do feel tight a little bit when zipped up fully but it's not unbearable.

Looks like the metal has oxidized

I miss read what you wrote. Thought you said you couldn't fully zip them up.

If it fits perfect in the toe area, then you should be good. The shaft will stretch out as your walk. I drive in my boots so all my shafts are fucked up. lol

daniel2001

Reaction score
Looks like the metal has oxidized

I miss read what you wrote. Thought you said you couldn't fully zip them up.

If it fits perfect in the toe area, then you should be good. The shaft will stretch out as your walk. I drive in my boots so all my shafts are fucked up. lol
Is the oxidizzation of the metal common in wyatts or is mine a defect? Is there any way to recover the metal and make it look more polished?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom