• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daniel2001

Reaction score
Legit fam

Re harness boots, I'd look at From The First ones unless it's more about the brand. They've totally nailed the silhouette, whereas it's a gamble with used SLP re shaft width etc, and we all know about your skills with measuring lmao
Lmao yeah my measuring sucks as you know. I've checked out FTF boots but their harness boots have some minor differences I don't like. For example it has some extra stitching in the middle that makes it look different than the Saint Laurent ones. So I'm set on the slp ones. Just have to learn the exact differences of each season. So far I know that the 2013 has exposed zippers and slimmer shaft and then they removed the exposed zippers and made the shaft wider but in SS16 they made the shaft smaller again but the harness was quite loose. And apparently after a while they changed the leather from a shiny finish to a more matte finish. I prefer the older oily finish personally. Anthony Vaccarelo seems to have ruined staple pieces of slp. I don't understand why. I guess to save on costs which is a shame. Not sure about the differences after that. Would appreciate any feedback.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Legit fam

Re harness boots, I'd look at From The First ones unless it's more about the brand. They've totally nailed the silhouette, whereas it's a gamble with used SLP re shaft width etc, and we all know about your skills with measuring lmao

I have a couple of those FTF pairs, including the Enzo (harness Wyatt). The original was modeled after the 2013 harness Wyatt, but with a stitched leather sole and it was way cheaper. FTF has recently changed the silhouette and it's worse in my opinion. Not only that but the prices have gone up over the years. I guess they wanted to step away from the SLP clone label. So instead of good quality for less you're now paying a lot of money for just another cool brand. Which is fine in itself, but not what their older fans are looking for really.

They still sell the older models but I'm not sure if they still produce them or they're trying to phase them out over time.

Dawnwolf

Reaction score
Anthony Vaccarelo seems to have ruined staple pieces of slp. I don't understand why. I guess to save on costs which is a shame.

I don’t know why they are keeping some hedi era pieces like the wyatt or the classic teddy (except for easy money purpose). They just don’t fit with Vaccarello style imo.

Jack3tjunkie

Reaction score
Must admit I have been picking up a lot of Vacc stuff lately but for all the classic pieces I -indeed- really stick with Hedi pieces.

Quick in between, My fit for the cold winter diner :
Slp shirt, pants, boots and scarf

2AC0CEEB-2D7F-4466-BCCA-140133FD42CB.jpeg

daniel2001

Reaction score
I don’t know why they are keeping some hedi era pieces like the wyatt or the classic teddy (except for easy money purpose). They just don’t fit with Vaccarello style imo.
Cause they know people love those pieces. But the fit and quality seem to have gone down across the board. I expected things to get better over time not worse so that's unacceptable, especially for the price point. I know that when you buy designer you're mainly paying for the brand and the design first but you still expect good quality. And the hedi era had better quality in basically all areas. And the silhouettes were sleeker.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Lmao yeah my measuring sucks as you know. I've checked out FTF boots but their harness boots have some minor differences I don't like. For example it has some extra stitching in the middle that makes it look different than the Saint Laurent ones. So I'm set on the slp ones. Just have to learn the exact differences of each season. So far I know that the 2013 has exposed zippers and slimmer shaft and then they removed the exposed zippers and made the shaft wider but in SS16 they made the shaft smaller again but the harness was quite loose. And apparently after a while they changed the leather from a shiny finish to a more matte finish. I prefer the older oily finish personally. Anthony Vaccarelo seems to have ruined staple pieces of slp. I don't understand why. I guess to save on costs which is a shame. Not sure about the differences after that. Would appreciate any feedback.

This is correct on the FW13 and SS16 and FTF. That seam in the from of the boot is god awful!! I also don't like the heel shape.

Your best bet is to be patient and wait for a used pair of FW13 to pop up. The resell prices have gone down a lot on them or take a chance with any Hedi era pair.

daniel2001

Reaction score
This is correct on the FW13 and SS16 and FTF. That seam in the from of the boot is god awful!! I also don't like the heel shape.

Your best bet is to be patient and wait for a used pair of FW13 to pop up. The resell prices have gone down a lot on them or take a chance with any Hedi era pair.
I've been waiting and checking Grailed and Ebay for several months now and there's only been one or 2 2013 ones in my size and they were listed for over 2 thousand dollars which is not what I'm willing to pay. Do you think the 2022 version that's sold in stores is good enough? How are they different other than the ugly shaft?

silentownage001

Reaction score
I've been waiting and checking Grailed and Ebay for several months now and there's only been one or 2 2013 ones in my size and they were listed for over 2 thousand dollars which is not what I'm willing to pay. Do you think the 2022 version that's sold in stores is good enough? How are they different other than the ugly shaft?

I got the nut suede at the end of last year. As far as the shaft goes there's very little room. I do wear them with long enough socks. Maybe 1-2mm of wiggle room which I don't mind. Also, the seam will largely be hidden by your pants.

Ultimately up to you if you want to wait and find an older pair or just get a new pair.

cjmorris21

Reaction score
I meant that the shoes were purchased in Saint Laurent store. Not online. To be precise it was Saint Laurent store in Bangkok in Icon Siam shopping mall. After the purchase I wore it for one day and only then noticed the defect as it was under the insole, so it cant be seen until you remove the insole.
The store manager told me “we are not in Canada or USA where you can wear clothing for a month and then return it because you don’t like it, here it doesn't work that way”.

To my direct question “do you agree it’s a manufacturing defect” he decided not to answer instead created a repair ticket. The problem Is that I’m visiting Bangkok as a tourist and don’t have much time to wait for the resolution of an obvious case. I wrote to the customer service at ysl.com and got similar response

They still assessing with no firm timeframe whether it is a manufacturing defect or it can be considered as norm so I should take back the shoes and enjoy this masterpiece from the shoe world.

In my experience SLP customer service has been HORRIBLE. I returned two items from their website and they only credited me for one item. I called about it and they said they only received the one item back, not the two that I definitely included in the box. They told me they did an "investigation" and found nothing out of the ordinary and basically made me eat $550. I was furious, a designer brand like them leaving their customers high and dry. I have no idea if someone along the shipping route took the item or someone in the fulfillment center themselves but I was absolutely furious. I know of no other retailer that would tell a customer to **** off like that.

daniel2001

Reaction score
In my experience SLP customer service has been HORRIBLE. I returned two items from their website and they only credited me for one item. I called about it and they said they only received the one item back, not the two that I definitely included in the box. They told me they did an "investigation" and found nothing out of the ordinary and basically made me eat $550. I was furious, a designer brand like them leaving their customers high and dry. I have no idea if someone along the shipping route took the item or someone in the fulfillment center themselves but I was absolutely furious. I know of no other retailer that would tell a customer to **** off like that.
That's really unacceptable and they shouldn't get away with that. I've never bought anything from YSL directly but usually I've heard good things about their customer service.

daniel2001

Reaction score
Just got the black learher harness boots from FW22. Although I wish I could get my hands on the 2013 version with exposed zippers and slimmer shaft I love these. Actually the shaft seems a bit snug for me. I went a full size down from my usual size which is a US 9.5 so this is a 41.5 (8.5US). In the chelseas 41.5 was perfect and I had no issues. But with these I can barely zip them up fully so I have to zip it up around half way only for it to be comfortable. Is this normal for brand new harnesses and does it stretch over time in the shaft? Also the silver hardware on them has black marks on it. Is this normal and how can I get rid of them?
ED6DFE0E-85FE-4809-9B2A-BB7D695B1B06.jpeg
957D3F8B-E3FE-42B8-AF31-57B785222418.jpeg

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys after some advice, i'm on the lookout for a FW13 Cafe Racer jacket and in terms of fit i've got a FW15 L01 and FW15 Teddy and both are size 44. I've got a SS15 Le Smoking in size 46.

Will i be able to fit into a 44 FW13 Cafe Racer or will i need to upsize to 46? I want same fit as runway. Thanks!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a range of pieces and always go with 44, too. One time I sized down which was to reduce some of the boxy look of the Teddy. You’re right the Le Smoking and some other jackets/blazers are cut tighter with higher armholes, but the shoulder width, IIRC, is about the same. I’d just do 44 and keep it simple. That’s the ultimate piece. If you share your height / weight, that can help, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads