• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cptspaulding666

Reaction score
If I'm getting measured for a suit my waist is actually 32 inches to make things clear, but maybe the reason I'm taking in a 34 in RL is because it's not as low of a rise and I do like to wear my pants low. However I think that if someone is buying SLP they should definitely know the waist is very vanity sized, and there is a huge misconception that the jeans are going to be skin tight because of the aw13 collection maybe. This is my first time dealing with SLP and just want to let others noobs like myself that never dealt with a luxury brand like SLP searching for their size (cause there are non members of this forum who skim through the posts for guidance) to know that the waist on their jeans are huge from my experience when you coming from wearing your average persons clothing brands. Jumping from 34 to 30 or a 31 in SLP was me being a little ignorant, but I def need a 32 for sure and that 32 is still going to have some room in the waist. Some people here say you should just be able to button the pants on when purchasing them, so if I'm going by those standards then yea I would need a 30 or 31.

Last edited:

cptspaulding666

Reaction score
34' measurements from ssense, just some examples...

A.P.C. Petit New Standard = 17.75 (hence why people say size down)
ACNE Black Ace Jeans = 17.25
Naked & Famous Indigo Super Skinny Guy Selvedge Jeans = 17
Visim Blue Social Sculpture Jeans​
= 15.75'​
SLP blue trash= 18'
SLP black destroyed 18.75'

I hate the misconception that these pants are going to be skin tight an inch is a big difference for the waist, and also the black wash is almost an inch off from the blue in the same D02 cut. So the fact that @scanner is saying I should be taking a 36 instead in SLP if I'm a 34 in RL is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nimzerz

Reaction score
34' measurements from ssense, just some examples...

A.P.C. Petit New Standard = 17.75 (hence why people say size down)
ACNE Black Ace Jeans = 17.25
Naked & Famous Indigo Super Skinny Guy Selvedge Jeans = 17
Visim Blue Social Sculpture Jeans​
= 15.75'​
SLP blue trash= 18'
SLP black destroyed 18.75'

I hate the misconception that these pants are going to be skin tight an inch is a big difference for the waist, and also the black wash is almost an inch off from the blue in the same D02 cut. So the fact that @scanner is saying I should be taking a 36 instead in SLP if I'm a 34 in RL is absolutely ridiculous.

I have a feeling he meant to take a 32 if you're a 34

scanner

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't worn any other jeans during SLP's timespan. Back in the day I wore APC and took a 31 in raw. The idea being that you should just barely barely barely be able to button everything up with a lot of force and basically wear them until they stretch out enough. I never needed to do that with SLP because the measurements vary throughout the cut, but in washed D02, I usually find that particular model in a 32 works well for me due to the shrinkage involved in the wash process. If you wanted Raw denim I would probably tell you to size down 1 or 2 to get the fit right. Remember, some jeans that are washed vs raw will vary wildly due to many factors of washing and drying. So the 34 you have should technically be a 33/32 true to size. I still think you should measure them up against a boutique pair though. Retailers like Neiman Marcus hold onto their merch for years and I can't even imagine how many people try on their products on a daily basis. To me it just sounds like you have a product that, while it might be new, has been tried on and formed and fitted for so many people that it simply stretched out too much and most times you will see these stores clean and steam their returns or dressing room leftovers to look like new again.

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 29 in Saint Laurent, and the only other jeans I've tried in the last 5 years are Dior Homme in which I'm a 28 / 29, Acne thin in which I'm also a 29, and Burberry Prorsum in which the 29 was a bit big and there was no 28 at the time for me to try, so unless all those brands are 'vanity sized' too (as if the size on the tag would even affect the decision to purchase or not), then Saint Laurent are fairly true. There may be some variation across some models though, with the occasional one coming up big or small (the 2% poly bleached jeans from SS 14 for example were really loose). I think part of the whole size down thing we see all over the place about shoes and jeans is that people aren't really used to how properly sized items should fit (shoes and jeans are not supposed to be tight with little space for movement). The smallest size you can fit into, isn't necessarily your size, and the whole buy the smallest size you can button has never worked for me, as I've never noticed much stretching (at least not in the raw skinny jeans). You want them snug but not tight, and I'm going to guess that some people that follow this advice would have a little fat spilling over the top round the back and sides if they were to lift their shirts up, and you don't want that.

onlyslp

Reaction score
I agree with kieran.
SLP was pretty true to size in the beginning so the only reason you would size down is when you're in between sizes. For example, I'm about 27.5 inches waist so I picked up a pair of 27 black raws from SS14 and there were a little snug in the beginning, only stretched out to where it's comfortable with room yet it would sit on my waist just fine without a belt
As for my pair from SS16, I had to go with a size 26 but as slann already pointed out jeans from FW14 till now are looser not only in the thigh but also in the waist. I remember when I laid a pair of size 26 SS16 black raw on a pair of size 27 SS14 black raw (brand new). The width on the waists are pretty much the same. So basically they just moved the standard one size bigger.
Just because they stretch doesn't mean they have to be "vanity sized". It's just that some jeans stretch out more than the other. SLP jeans definitely does not give much in the waist, or at least I can say so for the black raws

Isolar

Reaction score
Great post, @kieran84. A lot of people (not on this board, but generally) don't know all that goes into a properly sized garment, which can lead to a lot of misinformation. I notice the urge to size down is especially prevalent with more forgiving items, with a looser silhouette.

I can't speak for everyone, but I've never found SL jeans to stretch to the extent that some have claimed (ie. "1 to 2 sizes"), but then I always wear a belt. As for shoes, allowing for some variation in the last, you really shouldn't have to size up or down too much, knowing your measurements.

That being said, these are just theories in a vacuum, and there are certainly instances when the size on the label doesn't correspond with the sizing of the garment, even from the same designer. But knowing how to size an item and that item's intended silhouette is a good first step.

FWIW vanity sizing is so widespread that many people think their jean size represents their actual waist measurement, when often it's one or two inches off. It's not just Saint Laurent.

Last edited:

mwn11

Reaction score
Always judged jeans on how they fit in the legs. Rather have them fit well in the thighs etc and wear a belt than have them too tight and look like tights.

@Robert ACCD As if you just got given that
inlove.gif
Jealous man haha!

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tried some of my new stuff that arrived from the online store. The raw hem jeans are D10, but aren't actually raw but rather have baked in creasing and a little aging. Fit is good but I decided not to keep them as I'm just not really liking the raw hem, nor the more casual appearance of them with the slight distressing. I think I'll just get a few more of the raw black D10 if they re-stock instead, as these are my favourite jeans of all that I own.

I also tried the grey and black punk striped t-shirt which is really cool and I'll be keeping this one for sure. It's a pretty oversized fit, kind of like the grey and black striped one from AW 13, and it looks really cool with the contrast to the skinny jeans. I tried it with raw black AW 15 mid waist jeans and some black calf cropped jodhpurs and it looked great. This fits how the striped and distressed ones from last season should have for that oversized look, but I personally found last season's to have a weird narrow at the top, long tubular kind of fit that just didn't look good on me. Pleased with this one as I'm in need of more t-shirts.

Haven't been able to try the Devon calf Chelsea yet as I have a back injury and the pain is too bad for me to be able to put them on. Luckily I can just slip my feet into my cropped jodhpurs and get someone to buckle them for me so I've been living in them this last week or so. I'm really excited for these though so the timing couldn't be worse, and depending on how I like them I'm thinking I'll get the python ones too (or the Lizard if they should become available anywhere). They look great here:

I like this photo of the pinstripe suit too:

cptspaulding666

Reaction score

Honestly, I haven't worn any other jeans during SLP's timespan. Back in the day I wore APC and took a 31 in raw. The idea being that you should just barely barely barely be able to button everything up with a lot of force and basically wear them until they stretch out enough. I never needed to do that with SLP because the measurements vary throughout the cut, but in washed D02, I usually find that particular model in a 32 works well for me due to the shrinkage involved in the wash process. If you wanted Raw denim I would probably tell you to size down 1 or 2 to get the fit right. Remember, some jeans that are washed vs raw will vary wildly due to many factors of washing and drying. So the 34 you have should technically be a 33/32 true to size. I still think you should measure them up against a boutique pair though. Retailers like Neiman Marcus hold onto their merch for years and I can't even imagine how many people try on their products on a daily basis. To me it just sounds like you have a product that, while it might be new, has been tried on and formed and fitted for so many people that it simply stretched out too much and most times you will see these stores clean and steam their returns or dressing room leftovers to look like new again. 

For the amount it was stretched out there had to have been some pretty big wwe wrestlers trying them on that squat at least 500 lbs and up running around in them, never in my life had I tried a 34 on so big (not just in the waist, the legs and thighs as well) and mind you they were 100% authentic bought online not in store Neiman. The quality of the jeans were impeccable the nicest jeans I have ever seen, and the amount of give in the stretch was awesome, definitely not denying that. However I went to the SLP boutique and tried a 36 it was even bigger. I want to order the black raw hem d02 but I'm wondering if I need a 32 or it will be too tight, haven't worn 32s in awhile so it would be strange for me purchasing that size.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members