• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gnu

Reaction score
Good day Paul!
When might we see the new field jackets pop up in the online shop? I've also heard that a new technical type jacket may be surfacing?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good day Paul!
When might we see the new field jackets pop up in the online shop? I've also heard that a new technical type jacket may be surfacing?

I've decided to put back the field jacket until early next year.

It is very much ready to go ... but before it in the queue is the field coat and the parka -- both of which are (in our dictionary) quite technical outerwear styles, and thus there isn't much time or room for the field jacket this year.

Besides, I have in mind for the field jacket a lighter-weight version of the "canopy cotton" that we've used this year for the balmacaan and field coat ... and I don't think it'll be the most winter-friendly material, truth be told. Better to release it when winter is clearing up and there's proper space in the schedule.

It is a very unusual construction. Makes the dolman sleeves and split-sleeves and other atypical patterns we've developed over the years seem tame. Think one of those old-style military field jackets with the stand collar, but spun around three times, turned upside down, and put back together again. Very technical in terms of construction, but hopefully quite everyday-seeming in appearance.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of jackets — the work jacket in corduroy is now at the workshop.

work-jacket-heavy-corduroy-cedar-1@2x.jpg
work-jacket-heavy-corduroy-black-2.jpg
work-jacket-heavy-corduroy-cedar-19.jpg

It has a recessed and partially open armhole for cutting-edge-in-1880 ventilation, a placket of removable buttons, pockets that span the entire front, and at least one pocket which even people who've owned the jacket for years won't realise is there. The sleeves have a tight, gusset-facilitated closure, and there are little side-tabs at the back to bring the waist in for those for likes things more fitted. Quite technical, in an old-school sort of way.

Very thick corduroy; very warm.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What revisions are being made to the parka? Is it the same ripstop fabric, or something else?

It will be very much as http://sehkelly.com/parka, but ...

... it will be longer, most notably, and will have a belt. The belt will emerge only at the front of the coat, from a piped channel, and rather like our trench coat, pocket flaps will serve a sort of dual purpose of belt-support and belt-disguise.

And, since the body will be longer -- and since warmer pockets are rarely if ever not a good thing -- it will have warmer pockets, lurking in the seams immediately beneath the main pockets.

It will also have a fly front of buttons, rather than the press studs -- although the latter will remain at the neck.

And then a nip and tuck, here and there -- with the hood, mostly.

The cloth will be the weatherproof canopy cotton, used earlier in the year for the balmacaan and field coat. It is thick material, with a firm structure. One of those "stands up by itself" materials -- at least when brand new (it softens up pretty quickly).

the year 1492

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just received a tielocken (size m, charcoal) but it doesn't work particularly well on me. I'll be shipping it back to Paul in the next few days but know they sold out pretty quickly so thought it might be worth seeing if anyone in the US wants to take it off my hands - probably easier than shipping it back overseas.

paddymac

Reaction score
Speaking of jackets — the work jacket in corduroy is now at the workshop.

View attachment 1046743 View attachment 1046744 View attachment 1046745

It has a recessed and partially open armhole for cutting-edge-in-1880 ventilation, a placket of removable buttons, pockets that span the entire front, and at least one pocket which even people who've owned the jacket for years won't realise is there. The sleeves have a tight, gusset-facilitated closure, and there are little side-tabs at the back to bring the waist in for those for likes things more fitted. Quite technical, in an old-school sort of way.

Very thick corduroy; very warm.

These sold out just as quickly as the new coat! any XS incoming? or any XS in the last seasons cottons ones?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These sold out just as quickly as the new coat! any XS incoming? or any XS in the last seasons cottons ones?

Yes — we had a bit of a run of them on Thursday and Friday.

We do have one size XS left in stock in the cotton sail-cloth at https://www.sehkelly.com/work-jacket-in-cotton-sail-cloth-in-slate-blue/. I think in size XS there is also a dark navy version, too, which didn't appear on the website, but is identical to the slate, save being a few shades darker.

malefe

Reaction score
Apologies, rookie question here. But concerning collars, do you have any plans for a proper ulster collar? Something like a beefy overcoat with standup collar.

paddymac

Reaction score
Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Apologies, rookie question here. But concerning collars, do you have any plans for a proper ulster collar? Something like a beefy overcoat with standup collar.

Thanks for the question.

We have what I'd call an Ulster collar on the peacoat:

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-navy-1@2x.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-5.jpg

We tend not to duplicate collars or ideas for pockets too much, so that might be the only place you find an Ulster collar on our coats.

The trench and donkey jacket, however, also have fairly large collars.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?

malefe

Reaction score
Thanks for the question.

We have what I'd call an Ulster collar on the peacoat:

View attachment 1048200

View attachment 1048199

We tend not to duplicate collars or ideas for pockets too much, so that might be the only place you find an Ulster collar on our coats.

The trench and donkey jacket, however, also have fairly large collars.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?
Absolutely! Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads