• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of images – here are some of the balmacaan in the "ashen brown" colour, which is a curious base blend of black, charcoal, and a dull brown, and then a smattering of all manner of shades.

Deep pockets!

balmacaan-donegal-tweed-grey-brown-black-worn-1@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-tweed-grey-brown-black-worn-2@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-tweed-grey-brown-black-worn-4@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-tweed-grey-brown-black-worn-5@2x.jpg

Gustaf

Reaction score
Any photos of duffle coats in the wild would be much appreciated.

Edit: I have seen the official photos on sehkelly.com, obviously. Looking for a wider range of shots.

RozenKristal

Reaction score

Edit: I have seen the official photos on sehkelly.com, obviously. Looking for a wider range of shots.
If you don't mind my proposal photo. This was in 2020. I think the current one is a tad longer.

Attachments

• IMG_5357 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5357 - Copy.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 308

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul and SEHK Team,

I received the Field Trousers today and I simply cannot say enough about them. The fit is absolutely brilliant. I got the XS and at 6' and 150lbs, I've never been XS in any article of clothing that I've ever purchased before. These fit perfectly.

I love the high rise and the roominess but they are very graceful. I know it's weird, but I feel and look like Fred Astaire - well, at least the way he wore his trousers. I couldn't dance if someone held a gun to my head.

I can't wait for the new issue coming soon. I'll be buying more of these.

Congratulations on a brilliant design and execution.

Csus2

Reaction score

I posted a grimy selfie of myself in the herdwick duffle last year. Not the best photo (my phone at the time was old; the camera, garbage; the mirror, dirty), but you can find it below:

View attachment 1873016

Been pairing this coat with my Shetland tweed sportscoats a bunch.

I’m a shorter fella, at 5’7, wearing the XS. On the whole it fits great, I think. Except the arms, but that is inevitable for me.

It’s still not been cold enough that I can really pull that coat out yet but I have been eyeing it. I’m looking for an excuse, for, every time I wear it, I get a real ****-eating grin on my face. I delight in that coat. I revel in it. I want to write an essay about it. And about the balmacaan, for different reasons. But I don’t have a menswear blog; at this point, I feel like there are too many to bother; and I worry I’d just end up aping Paul’s prose if I tried.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul and SEHK Team,

I received the Field Trousers today and I simply cannot say enough about them. The fit is absolutely brilliant. I got the XS and at 6' and 150lbs, I've never been XS in any article of clothing that I've ever purchased before. These fit perfectly.

I love the high rise and the roominess but they are very graceful. I know it's weird, but I feel and look like Fred Astaire - well, at least the way he wore his trousers. I couldn't dance if someone held a gun to my head.

I can't wait for the new issue coming soon. I'll be buying more of these.

Congratulations on a brilliant design and execution.

Wonderful feedback!

Thank you.

When we first developed the field trousers, which back then went by the name "proper trousers" we called them such because I found them ... well, like the first pair of proper trousers I'd ever worn as an adult. They were so unlike the chinos and jeans I wore previously in terms of drape and feel that "proper" sprang to mind, and stuck as the name for that style for a good 6-7 years.

All of our trousers have developed from the "proper trousers" and so hopefully you'll find them all, albeit in their various different stylings and fits, equally, um, proper, as the field trousers you have there.

Thank you again. If you have any further questions or if there's anything else with which I might assist, please feel free to let me know, here or via email.

Gustaf

Reaction score
I posted a grimy selfie of myself in the herdwick duffle last year. Not the best photo (my phone at the time was old; the camera, garbage; the mirror, dirty), but you can find it below:

I’m a shorter fella, at 5’7, wearing the XS. On the whole it fits great, I think. Except the arms, but that is inevitable for me.

It’s still not been cold enough that I can really pull that coat out yet but I have been eyeing it. I’m looking for an excuse, for, every time I wear it, I get a real ****-eating grin on my face. I delight in that coat. I revel in it. I want to write an essay about it. And about the balmacaan, for different reasons. But I don’t have a menswear blog; at this point, I feel like there are too many to bother; and I worry I’d just end up aping Paul’s prose if I tried.

Thanks very much, appreciate the enthusiastic response and photo. You look dapper!

Well, Paul’s prose is certainly something to aspire to.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks very much, appreciate the enthusiastic response and photo. You look dapper!

Well, Paul’s prose is certainly something to aspire to.

Thanks!

It's good for Instagram comments and 50-word descriptions of facets of jackets but beyond that it is rather limited, truth be told!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a new development we've been working on, which I think falls into our "highly uncommercial" bucket (my favourite bucket, being as it must surely be self-indulgence gone wild).

It is the makings of a box coat or coachman coat. Only with this one, we've give it this wide, curved fly front, and a construction in the shoulders like a cape. It's actually the same style of shoulder as our hunting jacket (https://www.sehkelly.com/hunting-jacket-in-heavy-melton-in-boreal-green/) so you can imagine how the finished coat will be very different from what this portion of it suggests.

Great fun to development, anyway, come of it what may.

We've been developing a raincoat, too, which is hopefully one for the other bucket!

box-coat-melton-toile-mannequin-development-1-original@2x.jpg

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonderful feedback!

Thank you.

When we first developed the field trousers, which back then went by the name "proper trousers" we called them such because I found them ... well, like the first pair of proper trousers I'd ever worn as an adult. They were so unlike the chinos and jeans I wore previously in terms of drape and feel that "proper" sprang to mind, and stuck as the name for that style for a good 6-7 years.

All of our trousers have developed from the "proper trousers" and so hopefully you'll find them all, albeit in their various different stylings and fits, equally, um, proper, as the field trousers you have there.

Thank you again. If you have any further questions or if there's anything else with which I might assist, please feel free to let me know, here or via email.
Proper trousers is the perfect name. They drape so beautifully and the shape from the waist band down is so graceful.

So happy with them.

Csus2

Reaction score
So the coat in development won’t actually have a cape, Paul? That’s just how the shoulder is constructed?

a caped coat is anachronistic, but I find the idea appealing. I’d be interested in seeing an SEH Kelly take on it, to see if you can drag it kicking and screaming into the present, but it’d definitely be the nichest of niches.

(Speaking of niches - the shopcoat. Some of us wait with bated breath. Or pray that it shows up in the buy and sell section in size XS at a reasonable price)

And yeah I meant to say, that that photo of you two is lovely, Roz. The colours are very vibrant.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So the coat in development won’t actually have a cape, Paul? That’s just how the shoulder is constructed?

a caped coat is anachronistic, but I find the idea appealing. I’d be interested in seeing an SEH Kelly take on it, to see if you can drag it kicking and screaming into the present, but it’d definitely be the nichest of niches.

(Speaking of niches - the shopcoat. Some of us wait with bated breath. Or pray that it shows up in the buy and sell section in size XS at a reasonable price)

And yeah I meant to say, that that photo of you two is lovely, Roz. The colours are very vibrant.

That's right, yes. We call this a "cape" shoulder.

It provides a fit like a two-piece raglan sleeve and is very comfortable to wear.

We like to explore different way of building a garment to see what benefits it can bring, whether comfort or design.

The shopcoat will come back one day, that's for sure. It is a personal favourite though it lacks much appeal beyond that! Certainly before a cape. The cape is not for any lack of thinking, but your observation of its anachronism is certainly holding the idea back.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member