• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
Any trouser can be slim if your tailor is skill enough
Well, although that might be true I do not favor the idea of spending a lot of cash on trousers that need further money for being altered. And if the cut doesn't fit your silhouette at all having your tailor work does not really make sense in my eyes.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, although that might be true I do not favor the idea of spending a lot of cash on trousers that need further money for being altered. And if the cut doesn't fit your silhouette at all having your tailor work does not really make sense in my eyes.

I'd certainly say the work trousers are worth considering.

I don't perceive them as slim, as we developed them to make the slim trousers less slim! But I suppose on reflection they actually are slim in the minds and eyes of most people. Perhaps compare the leg measurements to trousers you own currently and see how they shape up.

But of course, I always welcome questions, so by all means keep sending them my way as and when they spring to mind.

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly say the work trousers are worth considering.

I don't perceive them as slim, as we developed them to make the slim trousers less slim! But I suppose on reflection they actually are slim in the minds and eyes of most people. Perhaps compare the leg measurements to trousers you own currently and see how they shape up.

But of course, I always welcome questions, so by all means keep sending them my way as and when they spring to mind.
If I may offer a contrasting opinion: the trousers are still mostly too slim. Among the the work, field, and dress trousers, the work and dress trousers -- especially the dress, given their nominal purpose -- are unwearable on account of their slimness. A 7" hem on a 30W is about as slim as you'll find anywhere. It's maybe the only whiff of modern degeneracy I've detected in my years haunting your amazing brand.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If I may offer a contrasting opinion: the trousers are still mostly too slim. Among the the work, field, and dress trousers, the work and dress trousers -- especially the dress, given their nominal purpose -- are unwearable on account of their slimness. A 7" hem on a 30W is about as slim as you'll find anywhere. It's maybe the only whiff of modern degeneracy I've detected in my years haunting your amazing brand.

Thanks for the input!

We do try to offer a range of options, so there is something for everyone, hence the varying widths of the three trousers.

I take "modern degeneracy" squarely on the chin! Though I do counter that menswear is as rich in tradition with slim-leg trousers as wide ones. I've been trying to justify a "drainpipe" trousers style for years now, both to myself and those around me, mostly just because I like the word, but anyway entirely in vane. And we're working on a coachman / box coat, so have been swimming of late in references of outfits with Regency pantaloons.

I do take from your input a strong reminder to myself that there is certainly space for a wider leg in our line-up, slotting between the dress and field trousers, and possibly a wider leg beyond the field trousers. Nothing has really coalesced into a complete idea over the years, however, to fit either brief, but thoughts are always bubbling under.

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

We do try to offer a range of options, so there is something for everyone, hence the varying widths of the three trousers.

I take "modern degeneracy" squarely on the chin! Though I do counter that menswear is as rich in tradition with slim-leg trousers as wide ones. I've been trying to justify a "drainpipe" trousers style for years now, both to myself and those around me, mostly just because I like the word, but anyway entirely in vane. And we're working on a coachman / box coat, so have been swimming of late in references of outfits with Regency pantaloons.

I do take from your input a strong reminder to myself that there is certainly space for a wider leg in our line-up, slotting between the dress and field trousers, and possibly a wider leg beyond the field trousers. Nothing has really coalesced into a complete idea over the years, however, to fit either brief, but thoughts are always bubbling under.
Never imagined you’d stoop to gutter humour.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
‘drainpipe’ , though I really like that term actually.
sorry

Ha!

With you now.

I like stovepipe, too, also for trousers.

It all comes back around!

Give it 50 years and the outfitters on Jermyn Street will be looking at Beau Brummell for inspiration again.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
Ha!

With you now.

I like stovepipe, too, also for trousers.

It all comes back around!

Give it 50 years and the outfitters on Jermyn Street will be looking at Beau Brummell for inspiration again.
I will be in the gutter coffin by then (like many if not most of you guys here), wearing whatever is fit for the occasion (probably rather slim cut and flimsy material...)
In the meantime let's enjoy leg diversity, shan't we? :p

MaE

Reaction score
I’m a bit embarrassed to ask because I can’t remember if I read it here or if it was something I’ve dreamt about, but didn’t someone talk about duffle-coats that should be finished/arrive pretty soon?! If yes, should one take one size up from the SF Balmacaans to achieve the same fit? If not, are there any other coats in the pipeline that will arrive soon?!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m a bit embarrassed to ask because I can’t remember if I read it here or if it was something I’ve dreamt about, but didn’t someone talk about duffle-coats that should be finished/arrive pretty soon?! If yes, should one take one size up from the SF Balmacaans to achieve the same fit? If not, are there any other coats in the pipeline that will arrive soon?!

Yep — we've got the duffle coat in heavy melton in camel and dark navy upcoming later this week.

Here's the dark navy ...

duffle-coat-heavy-melton-wool-dark-navy-1@2x.jpg

And then with size, yes, if your SF balmacaan says n then in this you would want n+1 for the same size. It does not have the same fit as the balmacaan, as they are two different styles of coat, but their sizing is entirely consistent.

konoyaro

Reaction score
Although I live in the US, I was in London last weekend and was hoping to try on a balmacaan for size. I stopped by Boundary St on the 29th & 30th on the off chance that the lights would be on. Unfortunately for me, no such luck.

So, a couple questions about sizing and construction if I may.

I've seen the sizing chart on the sehkelly.com site but if I were to say that in a perfect world, I'd take a 43L in a sport coat, it seems I should be considering an XL for balmacaan. Does that sound about right?

As for construction, I'm curious if the coat is canvassed or not.

Much obliged...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Although I live in the US, I was in London last weekend and was hoping to try on a balmacaan for size. I stopped by Boundary St on the 29th & 30th on the off chance that the lights would be on. Unfortunately for me, no such luck.

So, a couple questions about sizing and construction if I may.

I've seen the sizing chart on the sehkelly.com site but if I were to say that in a perfect world, I'd take a 43L in a sport coat, it seems I should be considering an XL for balmacaan. Does that sound about right?

As for construction, I'm curious if the coat is canvassed or not.

Much obliged...

Thanks -- I really appreciate your effort to stop by the workshop, although I am sorry the lights were off. It's not uncommon: I am always never, ever there these days.

In regards to sizing, if you take 43L then it'd be remiss of me to suggest any size other than XL as the best place to start for the balmacaan. You should find it comfortable and a good shape. The size L would be too snug, unless you intended only ever to wear it over, say, a t-shirt.

And no, sir -- we don't canvas anything here.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And a bit of camel ...

duffle-coat-heavy-melton-wool-camel-3@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-heavy-melton-wool-camel-17@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-heavy-melton-wool-camel-6@2x.jpg

The cloth for the duffle this year is not as heavy as previous. It's actually the same cloth we use for the peacoat and greatcoat, unlike the usual blanket-like duffle cloth we've used in years gone by. It's thus a little bit more practical; more wearable for not only the coldest weeks of the year.

Nice colour, too!

Last edited:

RozenKristal

Reaction score
And a bit of camel ...

View attachment 2063339 View attachment 2063341

The cloth for the duffle this year is not as heavy as previous. It's actually the same cloth we use for the peacoat and greatcoat, unlike the usual blanket-like duffle cloth we've used in years gone by. It's thus a little bit more practical; more wearable for not only the coldest weeks of the year.

Nice colour, too!
One day I gonna get the camel too <3

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members