• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. I normally dislike rum because I find them to be too sweet. But after trying some Rhum Agricole in France last summer I'm much more interested in learning and experimenting with sipping Rums. With that said, I did dedicate my Saturday night bar hopping to [mostly] rums. Of note was the Zacapa 23 year that was pretty good and Diplomatico reserva that was pretty great with a cube. One thing I'm pretty certain of is I can't stand molasses based rums and look forward to more!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using for your white/mixing rums?

Don't drink that much white rum, but have had good results with El Dorado 3 Year and Banks 5 Island. Both are a lot richer with more character than the average white.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't drink that much white rum, but have had good results with El Dorado 3 Year and Banks 5 Island. Both are a lot richer with more character than the average white.
I have the el dorado 12, will look at the 3yr-was just worried about the rum overpowering the rest of the drink

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Flor de Cana 4yo, myself. Solid for Cuba Libres and Mojitos. Usually float something decent like Mount Gay XO on top.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plantation 3 is my favorite of all the white rums. I've done side by side daiquiri tests with many of the above named white rums and 99% of the time people prefer the Plantation 3. It is also pretty ******* cheap.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plantation 3 is my favorite of all the white rums. I've done side by side daiquiri tests with many of the above named white rums and 99% of the time people prefer the Plantation 3. It is also pretty ******* cheap.
I see it on sale at a local store for 12.99.... damn

Forum Troll

Reaction score
IMG_6042.jpg

Some rum drinks I've been making and trying recently. Myer's White, Coco Lopez, Blue Curacao and Pineapple juice.

IMG_4009.jpg
Similar version of above with orange bitters added.

IMG_6193.jpg
Smoked Coconut. Cold smoked coconut, Cutwater light and dark rum, strawberry and hibiscus syrup, pineapple, lemon, and salt. The coconut added a really nice smokey tone. From Campfire in Carlsbad.

IMG_6195.jpg
Iron and Lime. Mount Gay Black Barrel, fernet, lime, cola, and sal de chapulin.

IMG_5589.jpg
Pineapple Rescoldo. Cutwater light rum, pineapple juice, clove, lemon, and Aperol.

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
I have the el dorado 12, will look at the 3yr-was just worried about the rum overpowering the rest of the drink
El Dorado 12 has alot of added sugar (more than 30g per liter), their 3 year old, 5 year old, and 8 year old have no added sugar and are worlds better.

Also, keep in mind that "white rum" is just a term for colorless rum but there's alot of variety within this style;

- Traditional White Rum originated in Barbados, it's made from a blend of pot and column stills and is white because it never saw the inside of an oak barrel.
- An extension of this style is done in Jamaica where the molasses is fermented for longer so that the white rum has a sout and fruity taste.
- Cuban Style White Rum is made in Cuba, Puerto Rico and Trinidad. The rum is aged in oak barrels for anywhere between 6 months to 6 years but the color is filtered out before the rum is bottled.
- Agricole Blanc is made in the French speaking Caribbean, and instead of molasses they use fresh cane juice so that the rum is grassy and earthy. This rum also never sees the inside of an oak barrel.

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
View attachment 881232

Some rum drinks I've been making and trying recently. Myer's White, Coco Lopez, Blue Curacao and Pineapple juice.

View attachment 881233
Similar version of above with orange bitters added.

View attachment 881235
Smoked Coconut. Cold smoked coconut, Cutwater light and dark rum, strawberry and hibiscus syrup, pineapple, lemon, and salt. The coconut added a really nice smokey tone. From Campfire in Carlsbad.

View attachment 881236
Iron and Lime. Mount Gay Black Barrel, fernet, lime, cola, and sal de chapulin.

View attachment 881237
Pineapple Rescoldo. Cutwater light rum, pineapple juice, clove, lemon, and Aperol.

Are you a pro Tiki bartender? These are all well done, form the ingredients that you listed to the presentation.

Forum Troll

Reaction score
Are you a pro Tiki bartender? These are all well done, form the ingredients that you listed to the presentation.

No. It's just a hobby. I do have a "responsible alcoholic beverage server" certificate that I paid $6 for online. They actually let me have a certificate that has the word responsible on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads