• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rue La La -- Like Gilt but Not as Good

ss10guy3

Reaction score
I meant to write about this earlier. I finally got invited to join Rue La La last week, which I originally heard about in an NYT article about Gilt. It is actually pretty similar, but the main differences that I think would concern this forum are: 1) Limited men's selection. 2) Some items (mostly clothes) become cheaper over time if they do not sell out 3) You get ten bucks for inviting people instead of twenty-five 4) The preview feature for sales is way way better.

The getting cheaper over time factor is interesting. You have to pit how much you want something against how much you love saving money. I should mention that during the final sale, there were some RLPL suits going for $299 right before the end. At the moment the only interesting thing they have on the site is some Tivoli audio stuff.

Anyway, if you're interested, here's an invite link from me: Click Me
And then, because some people will be annoyed that I put that one up, here is an invite link from the company rep that doesn't benefit me: Click Me

(This is a repost from the men's clothing thread. I think some of the upcoming sales are better suited for this side of things. For instance, I plan on buying one of those "Heys USA" beauty cases and using it as a lunchbox. I'm not sure the Kiton guys would be down with that.)

imhotep

Reaction score
Rue La La shut down for one day yesterday. Stated reason was so that people could donate money to the Haiti earthquake relief instead of spend money on their site. The logic behind this amazed me.
confused.gif

ss10guy3

Reaction score
That was extremely weird. They should have offered to donate ten percent of that day's profits or something, not quietly condemn the consumerism that is their lifeblood.

c00kz

Reaction score
I was thinking the same.. usually what happens is people twist consuming to make it charitable like giving a (sometimes large) portion of rev to charity while rewarding shoppers with something stupid.

wiru

Reaction score
so you guys would prefer it if they had tried to cash in on the tragedy in haiti??!!

c00kz

Reaction score
Not cashing in on the tragedy, just carrying on business as usual but donating proceeds to charity. With the number of people who wake up early to shop on these sites I think that would have been more succesful. Idk how many people got on, read the message, then sought out a charity to donate to.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
I belong to Gilt, Hautelook, and Rue la la, but have only ordered from Gilt. (Belonged to ideeli too but unsubscribed after months of crappy sales). They're all different, but Gilt has the best selection and highest discounts.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
The Haiti shutdown was strange; I figured they had a tech problem and decided to use the earthquake as an excuse. Makes no sense in any case.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by travisttt
What's Hautelook like? Do they just sell clothes, or is it other things as well?
clothes, house accessories, jewelery, cosmetics, skin products. but 80% of it is for women.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I signed up for all of these sites just for kicks, and Gilt is the only one that ever has anything worth buying (for men, at least).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads