• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolex Sub or Omega

Star

Reaction score
Get the Rolex Explorer II in a black dial. You can swim with it and it is far more under the radar than the Sub. You can supposedly even go 'caving' with it.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the look of the Rolex, get the Rolex - although it will cost you a lot more than the Speedy Pro.

However, don't use diving as a reason for choosing a watch.
If you want to go diving, wear a digital dive computer.
As others have said, pretty much no-one actually wears a mechanical watch to go diving nowadays (despite Omega's recent, awfully ostentatious and awfully over-priced re-issue of the PloProf).

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP, are you asking this question for real?

The Omega Speedmaster is arguably the toughest watch ever created. Do a quick online search and find for yourself?

Trying to compare a Rolex Submariner with an Omega Speedmaster is literally comparing apples to oranges. Would you compare a Ferrari to a Rally ready car, they are intended for different purposes.

Finally, if you're gonna use a submariner to dive go ahead. It will scream: look at me, I don't dive that often but when I do I use a Rolex. Not what I would do but hey whatever floats your boat

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Literally? Like you mean actually comparing apples to oranges? I thought this was about watches not fruit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by urymoto
yeah man...its weird i do. and it doesnt bother me.

"Don't touch the watch"

Originally Posted by urymoto
any idea what the variance in price is for a Non-Date, black SUB?..

I refer to my watch for the date nearly as often as for the time. Just saying...

urymoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
To the OP, are you asking this question for real?

The Omega Speedmaster is arguably the toughest watch ever created. Do a quick online search and find for yourself?

Trying to compare a Rolex Submariner with an Omega Speedmaster is literally comparing apples to oranges. Would you compare a Ferrari to a Rally ready car, they are intended for different purposes.

Finally, if you're gonna use a submariner to dive go ahead. It will scream: look at me, I don't dive that often but when I do I use a Rolex. Not what I would do but hey whatever floats your boat

be that as it may, it still says on the OMEGA FAQ not to subject it to temps below 0C, so to me, it looked not so tough

urymoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
"Don't touch the watch"

I refer to my watch for the date nearly as often as for the time. Just saying...

your comment was sufficient!

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the Omega website: "Italian mountaineer Reinhold Messner, the first to have climbed all fourteen “eight-thousanders” (peaks over 8,000 metres above sea level) and the first to have climbed Everest solo without supplemental oxygen, wore a Speedmaster on his 1989 expedition to the Geographic South Pole, crossing Antarctica on skis." i understand your caution but it does make me laugh that guys like messner and the astronauts chose to wear these watches in situations where their lives depended on them, then a desk jockey type isnt sure its rugged enough for, what, timing a cappuccino run..?
smile.gif

dsgNYC

Reaction score
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Rolex. It's the quintessential dive watch. However, if I was choosing I'd go for the 50 or 500 Fathoms.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how things got to this point "literally"
devil.gif
If you want a scuba diving watch a submariner is probably ok, other than swimming in a shower a Speedmaster shouldn't be close to water. Now, if we are talking about a tough watch a Speedmaster is as tough as they come. I would argue is one of the toughest mechanical watches available, probably the toughest, objectively speaking (hey Ianiceman I intended to use objectively here, ok?). So to the OP you need to decide if you want a scuba watch, then Speedmaster is out. You want a tough watch, I'd definitely consider a Speedmaster.

urymoto

Reaction score
robinsongreen68;4103871 said:
From the Omega website:

"Italian mountaineer Reinhold Messner, the first to have climbed all fourteen “eight-thousanders” (peaks over 8,000 metres above sea level) and the first to have climbed Everest solo without supplemental oxygen, wore a Speedmaster on his 1989 expedition to the Geographic South Pole, crossing Antarctica on skis."

im a macchiato man.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always check out the Omega Seamaster 300m Chronograph. Personally, I like the Sub better but I'm not a chronograph guy. If I did get a chrono, it would probably be an Omega. I would not, however, want the new Sub with the new clasp and ceramic bezel; see if any dealers have the old version, or else consider the no-date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads