• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road Rage Thread

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, guy in a humongous pick up truck he probably doesn't need shines his high beams to let my little car in the lane, as my lane is ending. I think "nice guy". Nice guy then proceeds to drive a yard away from my bumper at 35 miles an hour with heavy traffic, nowhere for me to go or pull over. I started acting a little "off", breaking, slowing down and speeding irrationally, and he finally took his distance.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
1. On the freeway I drive in the far right (slow) lane. I let people pass me. My stress level has decreased significantly since I moved over from the fast lane. There's too much competition there.
I sold (OK, Mrs. T made me sell) my small, sporty coupe and get a Jeep which is lucky to top 70 on the freeway. I drive on the right (for the most part) and if someone wants to go faster, there are (usually) four other lanes for driving fast. If someone tails me, I slow down until they get the point.

The nice part is that the back bumper is scarred from all the lumber and tools and whatnot I've carried in it, so other drivers understand I'm not THAT anxious about its looks and won't be so easily intimidated.

My new hobby: stopping at yellow lights. I never got the hang of reading lips until then. Driving's fun again
smile.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The person behind me drove up ****** for several miles. Feeling the rage building up inside

Who get's road rage from being tailgated? It means you're going slow.

Driving is serious business as Huntsman says, especially for those of us who do it a lot and need to be places at certain times, and can't afford to waste time on the road. Efficiency should be everyone's paramount goal while driving, out of which safety will come hand in hand. Here are the most important but probably most-ignored rules of the road:

-Keep right unless passing. I can't tell you how many freeways are fucked up in this country, how many unnecessary traffic jams are caused by idiots who go slow in the left lane. It's not just that, don't go the speed limit in the left lane if everyone behind you wants to go 10 over; and especially don't go the exact same speed as the car next to you, creating an impassible wall of car. It's not your place to be enforcing traffic laws on everyone else.

-On two-lane roads, encourage and make passing easy. I can't tell you how many people SPEED UP when you pass them, creating danger for everyone involved. Go over the fog line when someone's passing or tailgating; you have no idea why they're going fast and presuming it's illegitimate is extremely irresponsible.

Other than the above, I don't get road rage. I'm very conscious of who's behind me and try to accommodate them, because I realize that by virtue of being in front, I'm essentially controlling they're speed and how much time they're on the road that day. Fortunately I drive fast so this doesn't happen frequently. And I will add that I've found slow drivers are more often than not more dangerous drivers than everyone else, because they're so stubborn.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm... I get road rage when people are driving too slowly, particularly in the passing lane. People tailgating me doesn't bother me at all, but if you're driving too slowly in front of me..... :devil:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Who get's road rage from being tailgated? It means you're going slow.

Aside from this, I agree with your entire post and think it would go a long way toward making driving more efficient and safe if people followed your advice, but this statement is pretty ridiculous.

I can't speak for others, but I get upset when I'm tailgated because the person behind me is taking unnecessary risks with my safety. This is particularly true in my Jeep, where I don't have a trunk, bed, etc. between the rear bumper and the cab, leaving me, and more importantly my child when he's with me, extremely close to the idiot behind me. If that idiot is tailgating me two feet from my rear bumper, his hood is about four feet from my kid, and that makes me angry.

As for the "it means you're going slow" comment, are you really saying that people only tailgate slow drivers? I'm far from a slow driver, and I get tailgated frequently.

Last edited:

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
If people are in such a hurry, they should plan better and leave earlier. I routinely run 10-15 mph over the limit and still have idiots riding ****** without buying me a drink. Of yeah, and the texting you are doing while trying to get to your oh-so-important-appointment? Good choice. If you keep it up you will cull the herd and we won't have you to worry about for long. :satisfied:

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If people are in such a hurry, they should plan better and leave earlier.

This is good in theory, but ignores the realities that exist in certain locales and do not exist in other locales. There are times here in Jersey where, no matter how much planning you do, it's just very difficult to get where you are going. Same thing for NYC and probably LA. Not so much for a lot of other places throughout the country.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If people are in such a hurry, they should plan better and leave earlier. I routinely run 10-15 mph over the limit and still have idiots riding ****** without buying me a drink. Of yeah, and the texting you are doing while trying to get to your oh-so-important-appointment?

Exactly, everyone in a hurry is invariably an idiot that's late for an inconsequential appointment. Everyone behind me should go exactly my speed since I know what speed is appropriate. I'm an 80 year old retiree in an RV and always go 5 under for safety reasons, you F***ers tailgating me need to get out of America, this is my road.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmm... I get road rage when people are driving too slowly, particularly in the passing lane. People tailgating me doesn't bother me at all, but if you're driving too slowly in front of me..... :devil:

The problem with tailgating is that it is incredibly dangerous.

A lot of people are terrible at regulating their speed so it is not so much that they want to pass you, but rather that they are too busy talking on the phone and so they will just regulate their speed by going exactly as fast as you 5 feet behind your car.

These people will speed up and still hug your ass if you speed up, and they won't bother passing you if you slow down. Combine their 5 feet of stopping room with the fact that they are clearly an inattentive driver and you have an accident waiting to happen.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago a guy in a new car was driving on the highway and a taxi driver was behind him. The taxi driver sped up and cut off the guy and kept going, so the guy in the car sped up and rear ended the taxi driver. The two cars got into a road rage fight and started side swiping each other. After a few minutes of bashing their cars into each other, they approached a red light and just drove right through the light. I can't help but burst out laughing every time I think of this even several months after. All the taxi drivers in my city have huge dents in their vehicles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads