• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL shirts (fit question)

newyorker

Reaction score
Hi, a quick question ... are RLPL purple label shirts blousy or fitted? How do they compare to the Polo blue label custom-fit shirts?

Thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty well fitted, but not as tight as they look on the Polo site (they pin them behind the models). The PL shirts I've had fit much like the Polo Philip cut dress shirts.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
j is right....i would just add that the RLPL shirts, while definitely not blousy, are not as fitted as the Polo "custom fit" ones.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find they vary a lot personally... during the last NM Last Call I tried on several 'casual' dress shirts from RLPL in XL... all fit different. Some were really fitted, others less so. I agree with Stu, they are terrific for that style...

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of like the style. But personally I think they are waaaay to expensive. A few times i've looked at RLPL for inspiration for my own dress shirts and got them made by Barba di Napoli MTM. Still about 80 euros cheaper per shirt than RLPL.

It's even possible to get Finamore or Borrelli MTM at the prices RLPL RTW charges.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I really like RLPL dress shirts, but their full cut keeps me from purchasing them.  I recently purchased a purple label casual shirt during the RL sale, it is a gingham check shirt in a light blue.  This particular casual shirt happens to be pretty well fitted, with higher armholes and a trimmer body.

newyorker

Reaction score
I saw the RLPL Keaton-collar shirts myself in person today, and agree with the assessment of many forum members: they are really quite stunning. I can totally imagine someone spending his year-end bonus on Purple Label MTM shirts. I am not sure whether the Keaton spread would be attractive when worn open-collared, however.

I'm surprised to hear these RLPL shirts are baggy, but I wouldn't know, since I didn't try one on.

I also looked at the Black Label shirts. The shirts had a wide spread (but by no means as extreme as the Keaton), with a shorter spread than the Keaton, and noticably large tie space. I wasn't terribly fond of the collar, but I understand that these shirts, like the rest of the Black Label collection, are fitted.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fit varies per neck size. i just ordered three of them (two in a 14.5 and one in a 15) and you can definetly notice the extra length in the sleeves and room in the chest for just a half inch bigger. but the quality i find is supperb to my MTM T&A's.

Anyone Know the cost of there MTM's and minimal order amount. last time i was at the mansion i couldnt even get the attention of an employee to ask. they seem rather uptight there.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the fit varies per neck size. i just ordered three of them (two in a 14.5 and one in a 15) and you can definetly notice the extra length in the sleeves and room in the chest for just a half inch bigger. but the quality i find is supperb to my MTM T&A's.

Anyone Know the cost of there MTM's and minimal order amount. last time i was at the mansion i couldnt even get the attention of an employee to ask. they seem rather uptight there.
Not seem, are.

Goes with the territory I suppose.

Jon.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got two RLPL dress shirts in XL that I bought at a NM Last Call sale two or three years ago. Both are very full cut -- think Brooks Brothers. The golf shirts are true to size I've found. I can't wear the slacks, as they are too slim-cut for me.

newyorker

Reaction score
Not seem, are.

Goes with the territory I suppose.

Jon.

I've had a mixed experience. The mansion's employees seem both helpful and condescending at the same time, if you know what I mean. One of the staff (the really tall guy - Jacob) recognized me from a previous visit and said it was good having me back. Ralph must have designed the Keaton collar just for him.

drljva

Reaction score
I saw the RLPL Keaton-collar shirts myself in person today, and agree with the assessment of many forum members: they are really quite stunning. I can totally imagine someone spending his year-end bonus on Purple Label MTM shirts. I am not sure whether the Keaton spread would be attractive when worn open-collared, however.

I'm surprised to hear these RLPL shirts are baggy, but I wouldn't know, since I didn't try one on.

I also looked at the Black Label shirts. The shirts had a wide spread (but by no means as extreme as the Keaton), with a shorter spread than the Keaton, and noticably large tie space. I wasn't terribly fond of the collar, but I understand that these shirts, like the rest of the Black Label collection, are fitted.
Indeed, they're lovely shirts. I purchased one at NM this past weekend: lavender stripes, with white contrasting collar. My one complaint re size concerns the amount of room provided in the french cuffs. It's a bit on the tight side, at least if you have a relatively large hand like I do (and of course, a big watch on top of that will only complicate things further...). That said, probably work best with chain links...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads