• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva fabric: twill or poplin?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naturlaut II
The voile shirts ...... are not as fragile as one thinks.
Mine have held up well too though they've always been hand washed and pressed, as have my linen shirts. I don't think either would hold up well if laundered commercially.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own viole, but it's my impression that it's light and sheer enough that it can show nips or chest hair if one isn't wearing an under shirt.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
sheer enough that it can show nips or chest hair if one isn't wearing an under shirt.
The fronts of my voile shirts are two ply which while mainly for modesty's sake also adds an interesting almost iridescent quality.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
The fronts of my voile shirts are two ply which while mainly for modesty's sake also adds an interesting almost iridescent quality.
Doesn't it take away from the coolness of the shirt? I am not sure how mine are done. I should probably check at some point.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso

Originally Posted by iammatt
Doesn't it take away from the coolness of the shirt?

I am not sure how mine are done. I should probably check at some point.

Mine are done that way as well - the shirtmaker said he does that as a matter of course with voile. It would probably be cooler without the doubling, but the sleeves and back are sheer making the shirt pretty cool nonetheless (I did have one made with a double back too).

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Doesn't it take away from the coolness of the shirt?

I suppose it does but I would never wear a single ply front for fear that everyone would be able to see my gold chains and tattoos.

foto010101

Reaction score
Does Carlo Riva have its own web site? I wonder which shirt makers in Europe (especially The Netherlands) use their fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads