• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rider Boot Company

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any additional information on these:
http://www.styleforummarket.com/rider-boot-whiskey-calf-balmoral-boots-gmto-closes-june-8/

I have a combination of a weirdly small shoe size, wide feet and high insteps. Looking for more last information but couldn't seem to identify it. Looked around their website and didn't see the same shoe.
I'd be happy to make some measurements if you'd like. Unhappily, the samples are a size 9, which are too small for me, so I couldn't try them on and give comparisons, but I can make some measurements for you tomorrow. Just got back from hiking up in Glacier, so stay tuned tomorrow.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @kevenmee - any additional info you can share re: fitting issues? Lasts that do fit and sizes, as an example? I can try to help, but the general set-up for 3B last is it runs a bit large. Most trade down 1/2 size from standard (nevermind that there really is not a standard....) unless they are over size 11 - then stay the same.

Most of my lasts fit larger over the instep than you would typically find in a US style last (like A/E) and this is available for making in EE.

3B last is in the factory in:

5-16 D
7-12 EE

Last edited by a moderator:

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rider, pm'ed you so I don't clutter up this thread.

Thanks for all the help!

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I
Anyone have experience with the "Walker" shoe? On the verge of ordering these as a nice bridge between CM and SWD aesthetic.
I have the Walker and like them quite a bit. After about a year of wear, the only issue I've had is a bit of heel separation on one shoe, which was a $3 fix at my local shoe repair shop. No big deal. My only advice would be to follow Rider's sizing advice and size down by 1/2. I ordered my normal size, and they definitely run large.

Benjaminba

Reaction score
Anyone have fit pics of the walker derbies? Preferably in a SWD setting..

I'm considering if they could be right for me, but I'm a bit worried they would be too sleek for SWD use. Juding by the photos, the toe looks more pointy than Alden's Barrie last or Raf Simon's derby, or what? To fit with a pretty minimalist aesthetic, e.g. Lemaire, COS, Stephan Scheider.. I'd like a round toe and somewhat chunky appearance.

Raf Simons derby:

Edit: Perhaps it's more comparable to Meermin's Rui last?

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering them precisely as replacements for those Rafs. They're not quite as chunky-sleek, but they're damn close for a hell of a lot cheaper.

There was an old post over on reddit (goodyearwelt) that showed them off. Imgur album here.

Those are gonna be my first Rider purchase. It's a question of "when" not "if" by this point.

Benjaminba

Reaction score
Many thanks for the link @Callusing . That's exactly what I was looking for! They do seem a bit narrower overall, would've liked the front of the shoe to be a bit wider and with a slightly rounder toe. They still look pretty good worn. And as you say, the price is great.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AMProf

Reaction score
Just walked by the new Rider Boot store on Broad Street in Richmond (after picking up a couple of shirts being altered at Ledbury!). Got to meet the owner and learn about the store. Super nice and a great looking place. Go check it out. Some pictures.........

emptym

Reaction score
Congrats, Ron!

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in here too - I bought a pair from the bailout of the Paul boots in dark brown and, having had them a couple of months, feel like I got a steal. I see they've recently been marked down a bit more to $259 which is a crazy, crazy price. It's like Sutor styling near/at Carmina quality for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, ridiculous. If the Italian style works for you, get in on it. (I think there's a pair or two in B&S too, check there).

And, those being my first foray into Ron's work, I was suitably impressed enough to search around and came across a Hobo boot in roughout he did for Leffot a couple of years back. I really liked it and just coincidentally someone was offering a pair in my size on B&S. Never having had roughout anything before, I pinged Ron a couple of questions about the material, care, and sizing and he promptly answered everything. Mind you, he's answering my questions about shoes that someone else is selling on B&S; nothing in it for him but he was a helpful as if he was selling them himself.

A total class act, I really am looking forward to giving him more business. Seriously, I prefer to spend my money with people and organizations that I like and he's made that short list.

Now I just gotta save up some scratch for these: F. SASSETTI X RBC ‘GILBERT’ ANTIQUE COGNAC CALF
I realize this was a while ago, but could you share what you learned about the care of roughout? I picked up a pair of the Reverso boots from Massdrop and have been googling around, looking for care tips with little success.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I realize this was a while ago, but could you share what you learned about the care of roughout? I picked up a pair of the Reverso boots from Massdrop and have been googling around, looking for care tips with little success.

No prob, I'll quote exactly what Ron kindly PM'd me:

Roughout is simple......for the most part, nothing!

Really, simple brushing is 90% of the care, and that's just to clean them up. The idea is to take a beating and not really be effected, since they are beat up in advance anyway. If I were to recommend anything, it would be a spray like Nano Protector every now and again.

Other than that, but them thru the ringer!

No joke, I've pummeled mine and they still look like they did when they landed - and I've never used the Nano, just an occasional brushing.

And, darn it, you reminded me how upset I was that I missed out on those GIlberts! :brick:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads