• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of Formosa Suit from NMWA

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever I buy ANYTHING, I try it on before altering it. Just common sense.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm between a size 48 and 50 in Formosa, I happen to be a bespoke customer, but when I simply tried on the 48 vs the 50 (which I had done to see if I'd be happy with their RTW) the difference in fit was very obvious. The difference in measurements you listed are pretty close to a 48R, so the difference between this suit and your other Formosa's which fit is a whole size.

This is my exact situation. I spent a lot of time at NMWA trying on Formosa. The EU50 is a little too big and the EU48 is a little too small. (Eidos and Cantarelli in EU50 fit me very well in RTW.) As you say, the difference between the two is immediately noticeable. Out of curiosity, if you were to buy RTW, which size would you go for?

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Yes, blame it all on me.
Let's ignore the product that I got.

50R tag means nothing.
This suit is in between 48R and 50R.
I think tape rulers are the best way to measure a jacket.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm loving this drama but given Noodles' form, my suspicion is that he tried it on, sent it for alterations, wore it, took pics, and when after all that time and expense invested in a name brand suit via a lauded affiliate vendor, he didn't get stellar feedback and make it to the 20 thumbs page, his ridiculous neurosis kicked in and thus began his demands for satisfaction.
I'm sure Noodles is a pleasant fellow in the real world but his incessant carping on this board baffles me as to how he is so popular in the virtual world and has his own thread. When he once posted two near identical navy ties with white dots and asked for SF advice on which to get, I realised this is a man who probably has problems agonizing between boxers and briefs or Pepsi vs coke, so that was it for me.
Either way, I really thought this was done. Further carping might be entertaining for neutral observers but I have serious doubts that anything more will be gained in terms of rapprochement.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, blame it all on me.

50R tag means nothing.

I read through the previous thread. You really have to stop whining....."Blame it all on me."

The item was tagged incorrectly. Yes. Fault of the vendor. Yes.
But by simply trying it on, you would have noticed that. Fault of yours. Definitely.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would like to trade Bobby Jindal and Noodles out of the Asian community. Representatives of other ethnicities, please PM me with offers.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes, blame it all on me.

50R tag means nothing.

Come on Noodles, did you really spend two grand on a suit and send it off for alterations without even trying it on?

I've measured my feet on a brannock as size 9 and yet from the same shoe brand can fit shoes from as wide a range from 7.5 to 9.5. Ditto for certain suit brands. Regardless of the label, the most accurate measure of how well something fits is not with a tape measure but to TRY IT ON!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
This is my exact situation. I spent a lot of time at NMWA trying on Formosa. The EU50 is a little too big and the EU48 is a little too small. (Eidos and Cantarelli in EU50 fit me very well in RTW.) As you say, the difference between the two is immediately noticeable. Out of curiosity, if you were to buy RTW, which size would you go for?
Eh it's a tough call because I don't really care for the way the shoulders fit me on either. I think the 48 would work a bit better (or maybe a Noodles 50R special). The Eidos 50 does fit me well too, I'm just not in love with the cut or button height on my body.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yes, blame it all on me.

50R tag means nothing.

I'm not ignoring anything personally. The suit is basically a 48R by the measurements; 107cm on the chest (a 48 is 106cm, a 50 is 110cm) and 46cm in the shoulders (48 is 46cm, 50 is 48cm). A simple try on will allow the difference to scream at you. At which point you can take advantage of the excellent return policy. Also, I don't have the information to know if the alterations you had done to the suit would have changed either of those measurements.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
I'm loving this drama but given Noodles' form, my suspicion is that he tried it on, sent it for alterations, wore it, took pics, and when after all that time and expense invested in a name brand suit via a lauded affiliate vendor, he didn't get stellar feedback and make it to the 20 thumbs page, his ridiculous neurosis kicked in and thus began his demands for satisfaction.
I'm sure Noodles is a pleasant fellow in the real world but his incessant carping on this board baffles me as to how he is so popular in the virtual world and has his own thread. When he once posted two near identical navy ties with white dots and asked for SF advice on which to get, I realised this is a man who probably has problems agonizing between boxers and briefs or Pepsi vs coke, so that was it for me.
Either way, I really thought this was done. Further carping might be entertaining for neutral observers but I have serious doubts that anything more will be gained in terms of rapprochement.
LOL. The shoulder issue was being pointed out but everyone was saying it looked for.
As for the stupid 20 thumbs up, all but one fit did not get 20 thumbs up.

I'm not ignoring anything personally. The suit is basically a 48R by the measurements; 107cm on the chest (a 48 is 106cm, a 50 is 110cm) and 46cm in the shoulders (48 is 46cm, 50 is 48cm). A simple try on will allow the difference to scream at you. At which point you can take advantage of the excellent return policy. Also, I don't have the information to know if the alterations you had done to the suit would have changed either of those measurements.
It is in between 48r and 50r

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's another thread for this strange situation again?
confused.gif

Let me clarify a few points - many of which are common sense for most, several of which are written clearly in our terms & conditions (and are as standard as T&C) get :

1. Just in case anyone is unclear about this, the suit in question was not an MTM, custom, MTO or even a pre-order. It was simply off the rack and Noodles placed an order for it.
  2. There is no guarantee of fit with OTR garments! People buy and then need to try them on - then they can determine whether it fits or not.
  3. We spend A LOT of time taking measurements of garments. We do this to help people figure out their size. Measurements are NOT contractual, of course. They're indicative and there to help narrow down your size. After that, whether a garment fits or not has nothing to do with precise measurements but everything to do with how it fits, looks, feels. We do not sell garments with an accurate measurement warranty! Anyone who has measured two jackets of the same size in the past would know it would be absurd and strictly impossible.
  4. It is very possible that the suit has different measurements than the other 50R that we measured for the sizing grid - I wouldn't know exactly how different because the suit is not in our possession so I cannot measure it. Whatever those measurements actually are, they are rather meaningless numbers compared to the real life experience of trying it on.
  5. The onus in on the customer to determine if an OTR item fits. If I was present, I could look at the fit and give my opinion, but when the customer is hundreds of miles away, he needs to put it on and decide if he likes the fit. Isn't this basic common sense?
  6. Our return policy is clear and reasonable. Some would call it generous. We often go beyond our return policy and accept exchanges and sometimes returns for final sale items. In a word, we work with our customers, we want them to be happy (of very recent memory I can think of several SFers for which we worked to fix issues, e.g. @venividivicibj , @ScottMC , @in stitches ...). But our return policy is very clear that we cannot take returns if the item is altered, worn, used.
  7. Noodles took receipt of the suit, tried it on, decided he was keeping it and had it altered. Then he wore multiple times, including posting fits in the last couple of weeks in it. We just cannot take this suit back now that he feels that the fit isn't optimal. Whether it looks good on him (many here think that it does) or not is not relevant to the fact that we cannot take back a worn, altered suit because he changed his mind about keeping it.
  8. I would have absolutely taken the suit back and either exchanged it or refunded Noodles if it was in sellable condition. Not a problem at all - Noodles himself took advantage of our return policy several times, I believe. Including (ironically?) when he first purchased a Formosa suit that was too small for him (48R) and returned it after trying it on.
  9. Noodles posted a litany of remarks about this suit in the "good natured advice" thread, expressing and implying that he was cheated, misled, even several times using the word "defective". Let's be clear : there is nothing defective about the suit at all - he may not love how it fits him (in which case he should not have tailored it and worn it), it may fit smaller than tagged, but it has no defects.
  10. I pro-actively reached to Noodles because I felt bad for him making the mistake of altering a suit he wasn't happy with. I offered him to go to his local tailor and have him look at it and that NoMan would pay for all the alterations that will make him happy. I thought that was a good (maybe my only possible) resolution to this. He thought so too. He thanked me and went to his tailor. According to Noodles, the tailor said the suit was fine.
  11. Then Noodles wore it for a couple more weeks, and then PM'd me demanding that I take the jacket back and exchange it for a new one. He mentioned that he would pursue "legal remedies" if I did not comply with his demands. I was (still am) shocked by this behavior. This blackmail public bullying does not sit well with me.

I'm still willing to find some form of resolution here but NoMan acted appropriately and in line with our posted policies at all times. Anything I would do from here on is in good faith and beyond our policies and terms & conditions. I hate having unhappy customers but I also need to be professional and fair about how we run this business, and how we treat all customers equally and in line with our policies.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a crisp $5 here for anyone who can post a vid of Noodles measuring his 12" Subway sandwich order.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It is in between 48r and 50r

Ugh. I'll word this differently, the difference in those measurements, if accurate, should be enough for a try on to let you know something is up. Lesson, try stuff on before voiding the return policy, it's just smart and doesn't take much effort.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a crisp $5 here for anyone who can post a vid of Noodles measuring his 12" Subway sandwich order.

How's the legal action against ToJ going? Made much progress? Any closer to getting everyone their money back?

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
And with new information I'm starting to come to the opinion that you thought it fit fine for the most part, but after the SF microscope hit it, you were less thrilled. So I don't think the initial try on would have helped you much, and in that case, I'd recommend not spending as much on clothing until you have a better sense of how YOU (not the internet) want things to fit your body if you don't have money to burn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads