• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of the Double Breasted Suit...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am the opposite of Luftvier. I have never liked double-breasted anything (except peacoats) and will never own or wear any of them, regardless of how trendy they may become.

The exception is a two-button DB jacket or suit -- I want one of those, but I expect most of you who champion conventional DB hate the mere idea of such a thing.

Some examples (though none are flawless in my opinion):

4wwtY.jpg

These are all dreadful pastiches of a double breasted coat and represent some misguided designer thinking he or she is clever.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing -- and for quoting an enormous image immediately after it was posted (durr). That's precisely the same way I feel about your four- and (especially) six-button DB jackets.

Welcome to subjectivity.

The obtuseness in display on this forum continues to amaze me.

And for what it's worth, none of those examples of the 2B DB are what I want. If the one at bottom left wasn't glen plaid and didn't have such fucked up quarters, it would be roughly what I would like.

I don't mind a 2B as a dinner jacket, but I think it doesn't make a balanced looking suit.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are all dreadful pastiches of a double breasted coat and represent some misguided designer thinking he or she is clever.

Your every post is a dreadful whinging soliloquy representing the verbal diarrhea of a misguided moron mistaken in thinking anyone cares about his incessant daily menstruating.

Luftvier, fair enough. Thinking on it a little longer, you're right, I wouldn't want it to be a suit jacket, but rather an odd coat.

Last edited:

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an old photo of my doublebreasted seersucker from St. Andrews. Its hard to tell in the photo, but the buttons are mother of pearl. I've posted this pic before, whenever the seersucker doublebreasted topic comes up:

Doublebreasted.jpg

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Nice suit Dan. Thanks for staying of topic.

Anyone else care to post some pics of DB wares?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although they are technically not "designers", I have always liked the Anderson & Sheppard and Tom Mahon DBs. I plan on getting a Mahon DB in a grey flannel chalkstripe in the near-future. I think RSS has some nice examples of Richard Anderson DBs. Yachtie's DBs, as well as Foo and whnay.'s Rubinaccis are pretty sweet, too...

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score

I'd love to hear of other designers you guys think turn out a nice DB.

I think its hit and miss. I look good in most single-breasted blocks but double breasted can make me look fat. E.g. the Canali drop 7 block fits me really well as a single breasted..but the double breasted version does me no favours at all.

The best double breasted jacket I've tried on was a new Zegna model, I think it was the Milano model.

Is it harder to get a double breasted to fit as well as a single breasted?

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
My first suit was a grey double-breasted bought for a wedding when I was 17 years old. For some reason that suit worked, but it's never been repeated for me. I actually like the DB coat, but I no longer wear it because it doesn't seem to work for me. Unless is is well-fitted it tends to look either as though the coat is hanging off your body - like the Prince of Wales in his later years - or that it is burying you. I'm also not keen on the fact that DB jackets are cut square at the hem.

I'm actually receptive to the two-button DB jacket that was posted..this looks good:

But that's as far as I'm about to go with a jacket. I do however have two double-breasted cardigans, which I wear under jackets in autumn/winter. Like this:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
…but it would look better as a 4x2 or 6x2, imo.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TravisChaneyo