• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resources for starting business

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanting to start a business, initially it will just be a consulting gig and will probably be just me. Later on I would like to convert it to a contracting biz for/with the DoD.
I haven't been to B school, yet, and I don't know anything about the technicalities of starting a business aside from having to register with the secretary of state.

Is there a good online resource, or forum, that I might want to utilize to educate myself on the process? Thanks to anyone that can help.

PS- also looking for a talented graphic designer to help me establish some graphics/logos.

Laffertron

Reaction score
If you want to start "a business", doing "consulting", and your business objective involves winning Defence contracts, I'd say organise a logo is the least of your worries right now.

GIve us some detail. What sort of consulting? What's your professional network like right now? Who will your first customers be? What's your business development strategy to win your first pieces of work?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, do you have a background in consulting or contracting with the government? If not, it may help to work in a firm (preferably a smaller startup) for a year or so and get a feel for how they operate. Work on the project side and the home office. Also, with defense cuts you may be a little late to the party.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies..and I do appreciate the help. I'm in a position now in terms of network and contacts that I'm essentially being told that if I put the structure together I'll have some immediate business. I'm in a field where the business dynamics are hard to describe..kind of a mix between word is bond and old boys/mafia style. At this point I strictly need to know how to set up the shell for structure and tax purposes.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the people that are itching to give you "immediate business" are aware that you're trying to put together your consulting business by asking randoms on a clothing website.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the term consulting loosely, and yes they are aware I don't have a business background.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gonna need to learn how to "get on schedule" with the GSA if you want to do consulting.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im almost positive that a google search of "starting an llc in (x state)" would tell you everything you need to know and more!

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't really sound like you know what you're doing. I worked in defense contracting for three years and I still probably didn't know enough to start a business in the area. The complexities and the competition are enormous.

The best thing to do is work for a firm that does what you want to do in the future and learn the ropes. Starting out on your own without the knowledge in an industry like that will be suicidal.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Okay guys, I've got this great idea. It's like Netflix, but for marital aids. Should I go USPS or FedEX?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't really sound like you know what you're doing. I worked in defense contracting for three years and I still probably didn't know enough to start a business in the area. The complexities and the competition are enormous.
The best thing to do is work for a firm that does what you want to do in the future and learn the ropes. Starting out on your own without the knowledge in an industry like that will be suicidal.

What gave you that impression?

I don't know anything about the technicalities of starting a business

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus man. Starting any business is hard, but contracting with the DOD sounds scarier than most. You should be consulting with an attorney, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your replies..and I do appreciate the help. I'm in a position now in terms of network and contacts that I'm essentially being told that if I put the structure together I'll have some immediate business.

Seriously, no. Don't start a business based on this. People who promise you business are going to deliver a fraction of what they promise if you are lucky.

zerostyle

Reaction score
If you're interested in learning how to get on the GSA schedule, check out the SCORE classes. For about $30 they give a really detailed 3 hour course on what you need to get going.

You'll still probably end up hiring a professional, but it gives you a much better sense of if you're ready or not.

There are LOTS of gotchyas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads