• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

vicesman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheChefs
I needed some boots for my once or twice a year trips to snow. I've decided to pull the trigger on last pair in 10.5 at revolve, they had very limited size and colour choice (cigar or black). I chose cigar colour. Best of all they cost me US$210 and free shipping to Australia. They fit me perfectly with thick woollen socks, which is the way I'm intending to wear them on my travels. I also think the colour is great, the first day I wrote them I've received 2 complements on the colour from total strangers.

a012127s.jpg

These look great! What jeans are these?

david3558

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know there been tons of posts regarding sizing but which size would be the best for:

Alden Plaza Last: 9D
Brannock device size: 9D
Clarks DB: 9D
J.Crew DB: 8.5

I tried on the 1907 (without its insole w/ dress socks in an 8.5D and it seemed fine, with enough room for me to wear thicker socks)

What size should I be getting for a GT/Moc Toe? I had a 9015 in size 9D, but it was way too loose... so ended up returning it.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOOTLEGGERS
the 8.5 will be perfect.

I've read that people say full size down for the GT's, so you're saying .5 down is ok? Would I need to get really thick socks?

Thanks

nemo

Reaction score
I think you need to size down a full size for the GT Moc, if you don't plan to have inserts and thick socks. This is based upon my own experience of having the Moc, GT, and IR. I think because of the inherent design of the Moc based upon real work shoes, it's quite boxy to compenste for thick socks etc. You can also try a full size down but in E, that way your feet are not swimming at the front or heel. My reference is the 9012 btw.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nemo
I think you need to size down a full size for the GT Moc, if you don't plan to have inserts and thick socks. This is based upon my own experience of having the Moc, GT, and IR. I think because of the inherent design of the Moc based upon real work shoes, it's quite boxy to compenste for thick socks etc. You can also try a full size down but in E, that way your feet are not swimming at the front or heel. My reference is the 9012 btw.

I tend to wear medium weight socks (essentially long athletic socks) and don't use inserts. What would you say is a good size for the GT (not the moc toe) or the IR? I didn't realize that the GT/IRs were sized totally differently from the 875s!

nemo

Reaction score
The IR's do run true to size, don't size down on those. In your case for the GT, with tube/athletic socks, 1/2 down should work. Just remember, on the first few wears it should be fairly snug, but will soften and stretch slightly as it breaks in. You should consider going to an actual RW store, they are located all over most of the metropolitan areas, and they have these snazzy computerized machines that measure you feet.

AlexWb

Reaction score
After a month of wearing, and a week long brutally cold, harsh week in Asia, these boots have been well broken-in and have developed an awesome color. Size down 1/2 and endure the pain for about a week. It's going to suck especially with heavy/ragg socks. The harsh weather led to a lot of little bruises, but after a nice polishing, they give them character. These are going to get better over time. I'm happy
smile.gif

splattered

Reaction score
I'm looking for GT Sz 7.5 in either Cigar(preferred) or Black Cherry... i also have a pair of RW Classic round toe in Copper Rough n Tough (9111) w the crepe sole BNIB i'd consider trading straight across. Hit me up if anyone is interested
smile.gif

raphaelargus

Reaction score
Thinking about buying these in black cherry, but I question the common wisdom that one should size down from one's dress shoe size (assuming we are talking about standard D sized feet).

Is this common wisdom dispensed with the consideration that one should be wearing thicker socks and also typically leave more room in the toebox than a dress shoe? I've worn many work/combat boots in the past (for working, and perhaps a little shitkicking) and I learned pretty quick after stubbing many a toenail that you need much more room upfront in a boot than in a dress shoe.

I have an 899 from Red Wing (J Crew with a 30% off coupon, thankfully) that I feel is TTS. Plenty of room in the toebox but also very snug and comfortable everywhere else. Literally no room for an insole of any kind, soft or Superfeet. (I tried!)

syang451

Reaction score
Hi, i recently bought a pair of red wing 9011 from bakershoes, i was going to size to 9 as recommended, but i wanted to put in a insole, so the salesman recommended i size to 9.5 which is TTS. When i have my foot in the 9.5 sized 9011 without the insole their is some heel slippage and about the width of a thumbs space if i push my foot all the way to the front.

However, with the insole, the fit feels much better except for the fact that it rubs my little toe after awhile (3-5 hours). Should i wear it without the insole or just wear it in for a month or so with the insole? Thank you

mikeeeey

Reaction score
^ exactly the same qn. Im a 9.5 but i have to choose either 9 or 10. I went for a 10 and if i push the foot all the way to the front, there will be small gap behind. With an insole it will be very fitting. Same qn as above, should or should not go with insoles?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by syang451
Hi, i recently bought a pair of red wing 9011 from bakershoes, i was going to size to 9 as recommended, but i wanted to put in a insole, so the salesman recommended i size to 9.5 which is TTS. When i have my foot in the 9.5 sized 9011 without the insole their is some heel slippage and about the width of a thumbs space if i push my foot all the way to the front.

However, with the insole, the fit feels much better except for the fact that it rubs my little toe after awhile (3-5 hours). Should i wear it without the insole or just wear it in for a month or so with the insole? Thank you

You could wear them without the insole for awhile until they loosen up. Then put the insole in and see if it is easier to get them to break in and not damage your toe. You don't want to wear them if there is uncomfortable pressure on any part of your foot. Bad things can happen.

An alternative is to get a shoe (foot pocket) stretcher that has inserts to stretch the pressure points of the shoe. I think that once the leather loosens, it will be easier to break in the foot pocket with the insole in place, and there will be no need for the stretcher.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads