• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some of the newer Red Wing chukkas.
I see that they don't offer these in a B width, except for the 595 version. I already have the 595, and would really like one of the newer colors.
Is there any chance that Red Wing would make the newer chukkas in a B width? Or do you think that I could get a 595 in a different leather?

uncleWillie

Reaction score
It looks like Red Wing updated their chukkas with a new outsole they call Atlas Tred polyurethane.
I just received a pair and my first impression was that they skimped on the outsole and removed the rubber layer at the bottom
that they had on a previous edition that was called Euro-Traction Tred sole.
Having done some researched I realized that this is a new outsole altogether. I have a few older pairs and impressed with their wearability.
The bottom layer most likely is Vibram, although Red Wing doesn't say so anywhere. It is indeed have a great abrasion resistance.
Now, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the new edition of chukkas and could comment on the sole durability.
I am debating wheth

ElBron21

Reaction score

Does red wing make anything over 10 inches?

Yeah the 877s and the engineer boots. I own the 877 and I highly recommend getting them over the 875s. Once you own them you don't see the point of the 6" ones. And I own the black engineers, they are stellar with a pair of black jeans.

ElBron21

Reaction score

Finally broke down and bought some brogue rangers. Chose them over the black Beckmans. Very happy with the choice! Plus I got a discount and they were $300 even before taxes.

ElBron21

Reaction score

I'd like to get some of the newer Red Wing chukkas.
I see that they don't offer these in a B width, except for the 595 version. I already have the 595, and would really like one of the newer colors.
Is there any chance that Red Wing would make the newer chukkas in a B width? Or do you think that I could get a 595 in a different leather?

I'd go into a red wing store or shoot them an email at their website and ask
Hell, I bet you could even call the place in Minnesota and inquire

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at a store this weekend, and this didn't sound too likely when I talked to them about it.
I guess I can try the national office. The worst thing they could say is "no".

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the service at my local RW store.
I was refinishing my old 595 chukka's, and accidentally stripped the paint off the eyelets. My local store replaced the eyelets with brass ones for me.
Here is a "before and after" photo of the refinishing job.

I think they look a lot better.
Now, if I could just get them to offer more chukkas in a B width.

BootGuy

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Red Wing chukkas in Ori-gional.

In every photo I've ever seen of them they appear very tan. like the 4th pair in this photo but my boots are very reddish like the 3rd pair. Is this normal for Ori-gional or is there some super rare Tan pair that exists?

My second question is they appear narrow, they don't really fit narrow, they just sort of look narrow. But I'm coming from Timberlands so maybe that's just how it is.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of the Red Wing chukkas in Ori-gional. In every photo I've ever seen of them they appear very tan. like the 4th pair in this photo but my boots are very reddish like the 3rd pair. Is this normal for Ori-gional or is there some super rare Tan pair that exists? My second question is they appear narrow, they don't really fit narrow, they just sort of look narrow. But I'm coming from Timberlands so maybe that's just how it is.
I think the oro-riginal ones are reddish -- a russet color. Mine were mostly tan before I refinished them. They were an old pair of 595s. Your picture seems to show a couple of different style chukkas (not just different colors). They make a lot of different colors in the other chukka though. Unfortunately for me, the 595 is the only one they make in a narrow width.

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score

I have a pair of the Red Wing chukkas in Ori-gional. In every photo I've ever seen of them they appear very tan. like the 4th pair in this photo but my boots are very reddish like the 3rd pair. Is this normal for Ori-gional or is there some super rare Tan pair that exists? My second question is they appear narrow, they don't really fit narrow, they just sort of look narrow. But I'm coming from Timberlands so maybe that's just how it is.
My oro 877s were more tan I suppose than reddish. But I sno-sealed them. Now they are this color
Which I love. Just cleaned them up.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just kopped the 1907's great looking boot, anyone have any care regimen suggestions. These are my first pair.

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score

I just kopped the 1907's great looking boot, anyone have any care regimen suggestions. These are my first pair.

Once a month treat them with a leather conditioner. I recommend Bickmore #4 or a mink oil of some sort, you'll find something you prefer. Sno-seal is perfect if you want to waterproof them but it will change the color. Do not baby them, and do not wear them with a large cuff or double cuff in your jeans bc you'll look like an asshole. And every 2-3 years replace the sole.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Update after just over three weeks of wear and one coat of RW boot oil:

The right boot was super comfortable after about a week, the left one still hurts and causes bruises in the area where the stitching comes together next to the lowest hole of the laces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads