• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Jesse Burnett

Reaction score
Hello, I am soon to be purchasing some 1907s, my feet measure 27cm or 10 9/16''. I was wondering if somebody could tell me how accurate the sizing chart is on the red wings website, the site chart states that a size 9 would fit a 27cm foot (what if i wore thick socks). If somebody has similar sized feet (width is not an issue) and you have purchased 1907s, could you tell me about your boots size and fit please, that would be fantastic. I live 8 hours from the nearest red wing store so going there to try some on is a no go. I have Hi top 106 vans which are 10us and 9.5us converse hi cuts (converse are tight width wise).

bazh

Reaction score
so I decide to go with a new RW boots (Iron Ranger), I just want some advices about sizing and where to purchase :D I wear sz 7.5 Clarks Desert Boots and sz 8 Chippewa 6", what sz should I go with the IR? Also, where's the best place with best price to buy them? Thank you :D

joshualim90

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to RW. Got myself a Moc toe oxford with a crepe sole. I love its sturdy nature but I find the crepe sole wearing out faster than I thought it would.

Is this normal?

dlaz

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to RW. Got myself a Moc toe oxford with a crepe sole. I love its sturdy nature but I find the crepe sole wearing out faster than I thought it would.

Is this normal?
yes that is normal.they're damn comfy but wedge/crepe sole wears out fast.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so I decide to go with a new RW boots (Iron Ranger), I just want some advices about sizing and where to purchase :D I wear sz 7.5 Clarks Desert Boots and sz 8 Chippewa 6", what sz should I go with the IR? Also, where's the best place with best price to buy them? Thank you :D

Iron Rangers run about a half size large so I'd go with 7.5

andy b.

Reaction score

Thanks! Can it be resoled? If yes what is the cost?

I have no idea what the cost is, and I'm sure there are many boot repair places that will resole them, but I do know that Red Wing will resole most Red Wing boots. You'd have to contact your local store or go through the RW web site to find the cost.

EPrest90

Reaction score

Thanks! Can it be resoled? If yes what is the cost?

Yes they can be resoled. I had a pair of 926 work boots resoled by red wings themselves a few months ago. Dropped it off at my local store, took about 10 days or so to get them back I think. 100 bucks, new outer sole, new insoles, new laces, and conditioned. Not a bad deal. A cobbler might do it cheaper, but, well, depends on how good they are and all that....

mattsgalley

Reaction score
I just ordered my pair of IR's in amber harness. I've heard the break in period is brutal. How long did it last for you guys?

arkane

Reaction score
I just ordered my pair of IR's in amber harness. I've heard the break in period is brutal. How long did it last for you guys?
My "break-in" period wasn't that bad at all. I decided to break-in my brand new IR during a 2-week vacation in Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA. The IR's were the only shoes I brought along with some running shoes. I feared that the IR's might wreck my feet and I would resort to wearing my tennies the whole trip; but that wasn't the case. We did a lot of urban hiking in those two weeks. My feet were a little sore the first few days but nothing serious.

I did go 1/2 size down and wider and the fit out the box was snug but not overly constricting. I believe if you size properly you don't have anything to worry about.

Jesse Burnett

Reaction score
Why with all the red wing boots I have looked at, does the boot size always go from D to 2E, is 2E just what they use for saying 1 size larger than D, then 4E as two sizes larger. I've looked at many online stores including the red wings au store and they only state widths D and 2E. Some sites have also stated D as medium and 2E as wide, I always thought E was wide and 2E was extra wide.

CityofChamps

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. Just thought I'd share some pics of my 1149's. I'll have to take some pics of my chukkas as well.

1149's, almost 1 1/2 years old, never conditioned but occasionally brushed.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster in this thread. Just got my first rw boots, the 1907, from the local rw store. Love the way they look, and wore them today. Experienced some heel slippage and feeling a little raw and tender in that area. A half size down was tight in the forefoot, so I erred larger rather than smaller. Any advice?

bobbeanz

Reaction score
Hey all. I recently bought some Red Wing 6" Moc Toe Boots. I heard they run 1/2 to a full size large so I tried the 1/2 size down. There is some heel slippage when I walk. Below is a pic of the space between the heel of the foot and the boot when my foot is all the way to the front. Should I size down or is this a normal amount of spacing? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads