• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

matthewh

Reaction score
It's funny, I've used nikwax on my true hiking boots for years, but never really thought of using it on nicer boots. Does it change the finish/color much? Any downsides?
I'm kind of experimenting with it right now. I've been trying different things in small, less visible, spots on my boots, like around the heel or near the top of the ankle. I've mainly tried stuff on my Kathadin Iron Works cap-toe boots. I like the texture of the leather on these boots and wanted to preserve that. What I've found so far is that both Obenaufs LP and Nikwax darken the leather. The Obenuafs though leaves and tacky / sticky texture. This seems to lessen after a few wearings but doesn't go away altogether. The Nikwax leaves a nice smooth finish. Both change the look of the leather but right now I like the Nikwax better. I've also noticed that even though water doesn't go thru, when the Obenuafs gets wet the leather looks wet and water doesn't bead up. With the Nikwax water just beads up and rolls off. Nikwax is much easier to apply as well. (I'm using the waterproofing wax that comes in a tube.) After a few minutes I did need to go back with a clean cloth and get the built-up wax out of any seams or crevasses.

I've not tried either on any smooth leather everyday boots yet. I too have used it for years on my smooth leather hiking boots. I never noticed a visible change in the leather on those boots, but I also wasn't really thinking about it.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mink Oil has been around a long time. I started using it in the late 70's as it was the only thing we could find for waterproofing leather boots. I've used it a lot. Its inexpensive and easy to find but there are much better options available. Mink Oil is not good for "waterproofing", its more water-resistant. Its fine for walking around in the rain for a short period. Over time though, water will get thru and soak the leather. I still have my leather hiking boots that I only treated with Mink Oil. If I wore them out in rainy conditions for several hours my feet got wet.

Mink Oil is decent for treating the leather. My old boots still look decent and the leather is in decent condition. The problem with it is that over time it will make leather too soft. Mink Oil can also get rancid and smell bad, though I've only had that happen in the container and not on the leather.

About 15 years ago I started using Nikwax for hiking boots and its much better at waterproofing. It seems to breath better also. Since the proliferation of information available on the internet though, I've learned about all kinds of products I didn't know about before and have been trying them out. I have Sno-seal and Obenaufs LP. I like these products better for strictly outdoor use boots. For boots that I want to treat without changing the color of the leather, I really like Bick 4. It seems good for treating the leather (without darkening) but only seems to be water-repellant. I also recently got some Filson Boot Oil to try for treating leather. I imagine it will be like the Mink Oil though and susceptible to over softening. However, for strictly waterproofing, Nikwax is still my favorite.

Oil and water don't play nice, so that's why it gives waterproofing attributes. Mink oil is more of an all around treatment (moisturize and nourish as well as some waterproofing properties) whereas Obenaufs is made specifically for waterproofing, yet it also helps to nourish leather.

I wouldn't use Obenaufs on my dress shoes/boots, but if I'm planning on putting my boots through their paces outdoors in nasty conditions, it's Obrnaufs all the way for me.

So maybe I need to purchase the LP afterall. I wore more RW in a heavy rain and they let them dry. I wonder if applying the Mink Oil out of the box ruined the leather.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mink Oil has been around a long time. I started using it in the late 70's as it was the only thing we could find for waterproofing leather boots. I've used it a lot. Its inexpensive and easy to find but there are much better options available. Mink Oil is not good for "waterproofing", its more water-resistant. Its fine for walking around in the rain for a short period. Over time though, water will get thru and soak the leather. I still have my leather hiking boots that I only treated with Mink Oil. If I wore them out in rainy conditions for several hours my feet got wet.

Mink Oil is decent for treating the leather. My old boots still look decent and the leather is in decent condition. The problem with it is that over time it will make leather too soft. Mink Oil can also get rancid and smell bad, though I've only had that happen in the container and not on the leather.

About 15 years ago I started using Nikwax for hiking boots and its much better at waterproofing. It seems to breath better also. Since the proliferation of information available on the internet though, I've learned about all kinds of products I didn't know about before and have been trying them out. I have Sno-seal and Obenaufs LP. I like these products better for strictly outdoor use boots. For boots that I want to treat without changing the color of the leather, I really like Bick 4. It seems good for treating the leather (without darkening) but only seems to be water-repellant. I also recently got some Filson Boot Oil to try for treating leather. I imagine it will be like the Mink Oil though and susceptible to over softening. However, for strictly waterproofing, Nikwax is still my favorite.

Oil and water don't play nice, so that's why it gives waterproofing attributes. Mink oil is more of an all around treatment (moisturize and nourish as well as some waterproofing properties) whereas Obenaufs is made specifically for waterproofing, yet it also helps to nourish leather.

I wouldn't use Obenaufs on my dress shoes/boots, but if I'm planning on putting my boots through their paces outdoors in nasty conditions, it's Obrnaufs all the way for me.

I'm kind of experimenting with it right now. I've been trying different things in small, less visible, spots on my boots, like around the heel or near the top of the ankle. I've mainly tried stuff on my Kathadin Iron Works cap-toe boots. I like the texture of the leather on these boots and wanted to preserve that. What I've found so far is that both Obenaufs LP and Nikwax darken the leather. The Obenuafs though leaves and tacky / sticky texture. This seems to lessen after a few wearings but doesn't go away altogether. The Nikwax leaves a nice smooth finish. Both change the look of the leather but right now I like the Nikwax better. I've also noticed that even though water doesn't go thru, when the Obenuafs gets wet the leather looks wet and water doesn't bead up. With the Nikwax water just beads up and rolls off. Nikwax is much easier to apply as well. (I'm using the waterproofing wax that comes in a tube.) After a few minutes I did need to go back with a clean cloth and get the built-up wax out of any seams or crevasses.

I've not tried either on any smooth leather everyday boots yet. I too have used it for years on my smooth leather hiking boots. I never noticed a visible change in the leather on those boots, but I also wasn't really thinking about it.
Both are about the same price. NikWax seems to be easier to apply though. Anyone else have feedback with Nikwax?

cathpah

Reaction score

So maybe I need to purchase the LP afterall. I wore more RW in a heavy rain and they let them dry. I wonder if applying the Mink Oil out of the box ruined the leather.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Mink oil is fine (although I prefer pure neatsfoot oil), it just won't give you the full waterproofing that you seek.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Mink oil is fine (although I prefer pure neatsfoot oil), it just won't give you the full waterproofing that you seek.
Thanks. Really hate to spend another $20-$25. That would kind of hurt the money I save with the sale.

matthewh

Reaction score
Mink Oil shouldn't ruin any leather. The way it softens leather takes a long time as long as its not applied too often. Years and years of using Mink Oil has over softened some items I have. My suggestion is that if you like what you've already purchased, just keep using what you have. When its gone, or a year from now, if you want to try something else, then try it then. As long as you're not slogging thru mud and ankle deep water for long periods, Mink Oil should be fine.

VictorC

Reaction score

I wanted mink oil but the shop I went to had sold out. Instead he recommended red wing all natural leather conditioner. which is pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax. Does that sound as good as mink oil and has it water repelling properties like Mink.

I just want my expensive boots to last.

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally gonna order the 875 after months of being on the fence.

Just wanna know about the sizing - if I can fit into a Clarks DB size 7 (regular width), what would I be in the 875? (The DB in 7 is a tight fit, though.)

I've read a lot of conflicting suggestions about sizing down .5 all the way to others suggesting 1.5.

I'm usually an 8.5 in Nikes (Flyknit Trainer, Lunarglide 4, Roshe Run) for what it's worth.

I'm ordering from Zappos, but I don't want to order an 8, 7.5, and a 7 b/c that just seems dick-ish (plus I recently made a big return on a purchase from which I kept nothing).

I'm thinking that ordering just two sizes would be okay, so which should I narrow it down to - 8 & 7.5 or 7.5 & 7?

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK, I'm a 10.5 in Thorogood moc wedge and a 10.5 in RW 875. Thorogood is true to size IMO. I am also a 10.5 in Frye. I think it's Wolverine that runs 1/2 size large. I have never heard anyone say go down 1.5 sizes.

I would say get your usual size or half size down if you're worried about it.

Go to Nordstroms or look up Red Wings shoe store locator on the website, you can try on in many stores.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wanna know about the sizing - if I can fit into a Clarks DB size 7 (regular width), what would I be in the 875? (The DB in 7 is a tight fit, though.)

I've read a lot of conflicting suggestions about sizing down .5 all the way to others suggesting 1.5.

I'm usually an 8.5 in Nikes (Flyknit Trainer, Lunarglide 4, Roshe Run) for what it's worth.

I'm ordering from Zappos, but I don't want to order an 8, 7.5, and a 7 b/c that just seems dick-ish (plus I recently made a big return on a purchase from which I kept nothing).

I'm thinking that ordering just two sizes would be okay, so which should I narrow it down to - 8 & 7.5 or 7.5 & 7?

Get measured at a store and order that same size as your Brannock measurement. The particular last runs TTS, whereas some of the other RW lasts run .5 size large.

StillFly

Reaction score

I sized down 1 from Nike. Tried on at Nordstrom first.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wanted mink oil but the shop I went to had sold out. Instead he recommended red wing all natural leather conditioner. which is pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax. Does that sound as good as mink oil and has it water repelling properties like Mink.

I just want my expensive boots to last.
The conditioner is exactly what it says it is. It does not do anything more than condition the shoes. RW Boot oil or mink oil are what the RW stores in my area recommend for treating the shoes out of the box. Most of the SAs encouraged boot oil.

VictorC

Reaction score

The conditioner is exactly what it says it is. It does not do anything more than condition the shoes. RW Boot oil or mink oil are what the RW stores in my area recommend for treating the shoes out of the box. Most of the SAs encouraged boot oil.

So boot oil or mink oil make the boot water resistant but don't condition? Im assuming mink oil will preserve the life of the leather though and keep the leather nice looking?

So I may buy mink oil someday I think and use the conditioner on top of the mink oil.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So boot oil or mink oil make the boot water resistant but don't condition? Im assuming mink oil will preserve the life of the leather though and keep the leather nice looking?

So I may buy mink oil someday I think and use the conditioner on top of the mink oil.
I understand both do. However, some users on here suggest they do not make the boots water resistant only help the boots. See above posts about using Obenauf LP. That seems to be the best option for preserving the life of the leather. Not just on this thread, or this website, on several websites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads