• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

wavery

Reaction score
Greetings. Long time red wing wearer, first time poster.

Been wearing red wing work boots most of my professional life. I originally went to red wing because I was sick of having to buy new boots every 6 months. Either the leather was garbage or the sole was. Red wing leather held up perfectly. Red wing "work boot" soles only lasted me a little over a year on average. Still much higher than the norm. So, a week before I retire from the contracting world and some searching for some quality (1000 mile, alden) that I can use and abuse in the afterlife I had to go back to red wing and ended up with a pair of iron rangers. The 1000's and Alden's were great but just felt like they were boots for people with soft hands that want to look like men. The irons are a mans boot! No complaints.

Sizing info: 8.5 d for the iron rangers, 9d for the 1907 and the non heritage red wings.

Last edited:

red81

Reaction score
Do you know how different? I tried on the 1907 at a Nordstrom to get the sizing down...safe to assume I would be the same size in the 875 or no?

i'm a 10 in 1907, 10 in 877, fit about the same with the 1907 being slightly wider imo.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a long wallet in the same color as the Oro Legacy? I know Redmoon make some nice stuff in the same color.

As well as a nice belt?

adamdurbin

Reaction score
I have this boot and I love it. I just had it re-soled with a beckman sole, and asked them pretty pretty please not to oil the boot. It was perfect. They re-finished the uppers and now it looks brand new (which I didn't want at all.)

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with putting plastic/rubber taps on the bottom of their RW boots? I was considering putting taps on mine since I walk strange. Is that bad for the heel?

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the difference between the Red Wing and the Thorogoods wedge boots? I am looking for another pair or two and the price of the Thorogood is about half price. Lots of great reviews comparing them to Red Wing in terms of fit and finish.

ETA: I went ahead and ordered them. I'll give you guys an idea how they compare to my 875s. They only cost me $36 after using my credit card points. Also there is 25% off BF coupon for all shoes sold by Amazon going on now. What a sweet deal, tons of sizes and quantities in stock as well.

Last edited:

hateshaving

Reaction score

Can someone tell me the difference between the Red Wing and the Thorogoods wedge boots? I am looking for another pair or two and the price of the Thorogood is about half price. Lots of great reviews comparing them to Red Wing in terms of fit and finish. ETA: I went ahead and ordered them. I'll give you guys an idea how they compare to my 875s. They only cost me $36 after using my credit card points. Also there is 25% off BF coupon for all shoes sold by Amazon going on now. What a sweet deal, tons of sizes and quantities in stock as well.
Just picked up a pair of Redwing Beckmans, Black Cherry for 30% off at shoebuy.com.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the best way to clean 8111s with a damp cloth?

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the oro-iginal/oro legacy's "orange-ness" fade in time?

Because if this is what they really look like in person:

then it's a little too much for me.

Alternatively I could go for the copper rough and tough, but I'm not a fan of the pre-distressed/dirty look of it:

How true to real life is the above?

edit:

Just found this post (last one has pictures) after Googling:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/130110/ic-red-wing-1907-brand-new-size-8d/0_50

Are they really that dark?

I really like the 875 shape and moc toe, but does it not come in a lighter brown or tannish color? :(

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Progress photo..that orange color is the best part about Red Wings. The Copper color looks too prefab.

Frye and Thorogood make some dark brown "guacho" color Moc Toe wedge boots.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brush them first to remove loose dirt, than clean with a damp cloth (use saddle soap if needed).
Horsehair brush? Also, have you ever tapped your heels? Thanks for the reply.

VictorC

Reaction score

Greetings. Long time red wing wearer, first time poster.

Been wearing red wing work boots most of my professional life. I originally went to red wing because I was sick of having to buy new boots every 6 months. Either the leather was garbage or the sole was. Red wing leather held up perfectly. Red wing "work boot" soles only lasted me a little over a year on average. Still much higher than the norm.! No complaints.

Sizing info: 8.5 d for the iron rangers, 9d for the 1907 and the non heritage red wings.

Welcome.
Im sorry to sound naïve but a pair of red wings only lasting a year? There is a saying that you get what you pay for and that's why red wings should last a lifetime, that's what the red wing sales person said to me anyway.

How do you wear your boots that they only last a year? Afterall I only walk in mine and don't kicka ball with them or run. I suppose I don't wear boots everyday which will help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads