• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

steve2318

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of the oxford (boat shoes) from amazon for $80. I sized down a half size and the fit is perfect for me. The quality is excellent and the shoes are really comfortable right out of the box.

Brooks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just recently discovered Red Wing Boots and want to get a pair of Gentleman Travelers. The one I like is the 9013 style but I checked on the Red Wing website and it's not listed. Is this style still available?

Best,
Brooks

splattered

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the JCrew edition of the Beckman/Gentleman Travelers?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/ruggedboots/PRDOVR~30489/30489.jsp

I found a pair in my supposed size which is a half size, but the JCrew site doesnt list half sizes... the seller listed measurements but they are way off compared to my standard RW Beckmans i have in black. Like a whole inch smaller length wise, at least a half inch narrower at the widest point etc

Do these JCrew fit a half inch larger like standard Red Wings or do i need to size differently?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of polish / conditioner does everyone use on their black chrome leather? I'm looking to revive a pair of beat up 8130 boots (black moc toe w/ chrome leather). I know red wing makes it's own specific oil for this leather, but is it necessary to use theirs? I have a dresser full of shoe product and I only want to get more if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Wing is past. Got two boots of that brand. But i never wear them anymore.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing a pair of 8146 style boots in black chrome leather for about 8 years. Once or twice a month I use Red Wing mink oil. It’s not liquid as the name suggests, but like grease and contains lanolin and silicone. It works best when applied sparsely. I let it work its way into the leather over night and polish the boots in the morning. Whenever the leather feels a bit hard, maybe every three month, I use Red Wing boot oil. It’s more liquid and softens the leather nicely. You probably can use similar products as well. Just make sure yo don’t use shoe ordinary shoe polish.

What kind of polish / conditioner does everyone use on their black chrome leather? I'm looking to revive a pair of beat up 8130 boots (black moc toe w/ chrome leather). I know red wing makes it's own specific oil for this leather, but is it necessary to use theirs? I have a dresser full of shoe product and I only want to get more if absolutely necessary.

Grolsch

Reaction score

Originally Posted by chethondo
The 1907s are the ones that come with the insole right? For me they run true to size. Your boots are probably too small. You might think about removing the insole if there's one in there. If not then you need to sell on ebay and go up a .5 size.

1907 run small compared to something like the GT. My experience with them is true to size as well. While I have like an inch of toe space in my 11.5D GT, I have almost none in my 1907 in the same size. From my experience with different Red Wing models, the GT and other models on that last are the only ones that run significantly longer than marked size. But whether or not it's a advisable to size down with them depends on the width of your foot. I have found I cannot size down on the GT because of how narrow they run.
I seem to have similar experience like yours. Few months back I bought a 9D 1907 and it was excruciatingly painful in the first few wears. Unfortunately I went ahaed with the usual RW advice and reduced by half a size. I usually prefer an E or EE in my other shoes - probably explains why the 9D was way too tight! In the meantime, I got myself a 9.5D GT in Cigar. Seems to fit well. Width was OK and I can live with its slightly abnormal length. So I decided to sell my 9D 1907 here. But it was way too tempting to just forget the pain and wear them in as I was really fond of these boots. Anyhow, since I was not getting any good offers, I withdraw my sale and decided to try my luck with a boot stretcher from eBay. Got something similar to this: Applied generous amounts of stretching foam spray around the front/sides and put these in them real tight, tied up the laces and left the boots for 2 days straight. Kept applying the stretching spray once in a while in between. After 2 days, I mink oiled them real well and wore them yesterday. It was heaven! :nodding: Very snug fit. No more blisters or bruised toes. My heels are not rolling off, nor do I have unnecessary extra space infront of my toes. Compared to the 9D 1907, my 9.5D GT is kinda narrow/longer in appearance but fit is still very nice. Wonder why RW makes their own shoes so different :fu:

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good that the stretching tool worked out for you.

FWIW, Red Wing stores will usually stretch your RW boots for you free of charge. I've had it done a couple of times (for different boots) at my local dealer and it worked out great each time. They worked w/me to determine how long to keep them in the stretcher. They'll then oil your boots for you (also free) before returning them. If you don't live near a dealer then of course the tool is a good alternative.

ToledoStyle

Reaction score

Does anyone have experience with the JCrew edition of the Beckman/Gentleman Travelers?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/ruggedboots/PRDOVR~30489/30489.jsp

I found a pair in my supposed size which is a half size, but the JCrew site doesnt list half sizes... the seller listed measurements but they are way off compared to my standard RW Beckmans i have in black. Like a whole inch smaller length wise, at least a half inch narrower at the widest point etc

Do these JCrew fit a half inch larger like standard Red Wings or do i need to size differently?

I have them and I went a half size down to a 11 1/2. I must warn you though these look fantastic after they're worn in but the break in period is god awful. Do not go out on any sort of trip in your first couple days with them. I learned this the hard way. Break in while watching TV or reading a book for the first couple days. they age very well though one of my favorite pairs.

PS, just re-read your post and yes the website lists them in half sizes that is what the H means next to the number 11H = 11 1/2 they don't do half sizes from 12 up. These are also a lot more narrow than the traditional Beckmans. My brother owns the J-Crew and a black cherry one and he says they are a lot more narrow so size accordingly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads