• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing boot appreciation thread

Moostyle

Reaction score
I just ordered some Red WIng Moc Toes in Black Cherry which looks like a beautiful colour and I can't wait to see it in the flesh. Today I went to a local store to do some sizing and tried on a different colour of Red Wing Moc Toe. The SIze US11 was long but a good fit for my foot width and I thought that a 10.5 would also work... wow was I mistaken. The 10.5 felt much tighter and gave me pinkie rub. I guess I have to accept now that my foot is an 11D width and that I will just have some extra toe space in most of the boots I buy. :)
Well, update on these beauties: they unfortunately do not fit and are basically like bear traps on my feet. For some reason they have a crazy shape to the last and are the only shoe I have ever worn that feels like I am wearing the left shoe on the right and vice versa, it is ridiculous how oddly proportioned and shaped the inner sole is as I have reasonable regular 10.5D feet.

I will chalk it down to experience and hope I can sell them somewhere!

ecworks

Reaction score
Picked up these Redwing steel toe boots on eBay about 10 years ago, NOS, they seem to date back to the early '90s. They came in their original box with some pretty cool tags and brochures included in the box about the type of leather, the strength of the steel toe, etc. They were made with what they called "Grizzly", an oiled leather that has a lot of the same characteristics as CXL. I wore them for work for 5 years or so but they've been retired for the past 5 years. Pulled them out and brushed them with a stiff horsehair brush and they came back to life. Ordered some official Redwing boot oil to give them some love. They will be back in my boot rotation this fall/winter, enjoy:

Attachments

• image_67198977.JPG
    image_67198977.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image_67212801.JPG
    image_67212801.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image_50396161.JPG
    image_50396161.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image_50461185.JPG
    image_50461185.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image_67210753.JPG
    image_67210753.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 31
  • image_67203329.JPG
    image_67203329.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image_67211009.JPG
    image_67211009.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image_67163137.JPG
    image_67163137.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 226
  • image_50378497.JPG
    image_50378497.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 351

DG123

Reaction score
Picked up these Redwing steel toe boots on eBay about 10 years ago, NOS, they seem to date back to the early '90s. They came in their original box with some pretty cool tags and brochures included in the box about the type of leather, the strength of the steel toe, etc. They were made with what they called "Grizzly", an oiled leather that has a lot of the same characteristics as CXL. I wore them for work for 5 years or so but they've been retired for the past 5 years. Pulled them out and brushed them with a stiff horsehair brush and they came back to life. Ordered some official Redwing boot oil to give them some love. They will be back in my boot rotation this fall/winter, enjoy:

Your pair there has a rubber outsole ?

jools182

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Red Wing. I bought them both about 5 years ago, and I love them. I don't get to wear them all year round because it gets hot here in summer, so I look forward to the colder months

I have the Round Toe 8196 with the traction tread sole in briar oil slick (now discontinued), and the Blacksmith in copper rough and tough

The annoying thing is my feet seem to grown this year. I don't know how, I'm in my late 40's, but it's very frustrating

Now when I am walking over uneven ground, I can feel my toes hitting the end of the boots when wearing the Blacksmith. They don't have much wear, they look almost new, and I was hoping to keep them for many years..

DG123

Reaction score
Now when I am walking over uneven ground, I can feel my toes hitting the end of the boots when wearing the Blacksmith. They don't have much wear, they look almost new, and I was hoping to keep them for many years..
If they don't fit, list the pair on ebay and sell them.

DG123

Reaction score
Here is my new pair of Red Wing model 606!

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 172

majal_kata

Reaction score
I have worn my redwings 9045 for close to 8 years. The shoes have been well worn and it become costly to restore them. Shoes is currently retired.

Here is to share the state of the shoes
Lpgwq3o.jpeg

lmHHSb4.jpeg

ibM9ZCT.jpeg

furvent

Reaction score
Hey !

I have recently (3 weeks ago) bought a pair of Moc Toe 875 recently.

Something very strange I just noticed, I don't know if it was there from the beginning and I didn't notice, or if this happened later for any reason:
The interior leather side of the tongue is of different color on the left and on the right, see picture:

IMG_3145.jpeg

It is not not a big deal, but any idea what could have caused this ??

Thanks ! 🙏

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn my redwings 9045 for close to 8 years. The shoes have been well worn and it become costly to restore them. Shoes is currently retired.

Here is to share the state of the shoes
Lpgwq3o.jpeg

lmHHSb4.jpeg

ibM9ZCT.jpeg

They are great, shame they've become too costly to repair but it's interesting to see such a worn pair.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 8 year old pair just back from a resole. I decided to try the Vibram Gloxi Cut sole for a change and because the cobbler recommended it. Really happy with how they turned out.

These have been worn fairly regularly over 8 years and I still think they have many years left in them.

IMG_8004.jpeg
IMG_8005.jpeg
IMG_8006.jpeg
IMG_8008.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics