• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Obviously at this point you must realize that playing it safe is never, ever going to be his goal in dressing.

I find myself defending the fashion oriented guys here a lot, but it just seems people here cannot fathom that there are other legitimate reasons for wearing the clothing one wears. The classically oriented, play it on the safe side mentality here does not translate to the fashion industry.

I think there is a very sharp divide in thinking. Many of the ensembles held to ridicule are experiments. Not all experiments are successful, but that industry as a whole would rather go too far than not far enough.

We can intellectualize as much as we want fashion but my definition of elegance has never changed..

It just natural and simple great combos..

Something looks good or not ...

If you want to explain why an outfit looks good through conceptual fashion essays , it just doesn't work for me..

Last edited:

Rock Lee

Reaction score
robert-downey-jr.jpg

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:facepalm:.

chrisb0109

Reaction score

We can intellectualize as much as we want fashion but my definition of elegance has never changed..

It just natural and simple great combos..

Something looks good or not ...

If you want to explain why an outfit looks good through conceptual fashion essays , it just doesn't work for me..

I get that, but this is where people have to accept differences in goals.

If someone works in the fashion industry, getting dressed can be a conceptual exercise. It is what they do, and simply looking nice isn't enough. Painters, Sculptors, etc encounter the same issue. "But the artwork isn't pretty". Thats not always the point.

Personal preference aside, conceptual experimentation in fashion has its place, and contrary to popular belief, the people dressing in such a way are more conscious of the intellectual side than we may assume. I've spent plenty of time around fashion people, and to characterize them as idiots playing in their closets is wholly unfair.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I get that, but this is where people have to accept differences in goals.

If someone works in the fashion industry, getting dressed can be a conceptual exercise. It is what they do, and simply looking nice isn't enough. Painters, Sculptors, etc encounter the same issue. "But the artwork isn't pretty". Thats not always the point.

Personal preference aside, conceptual experimentation in fashion has its place, and contrary to popular belief, the people dressing in such a way are more conscious of the intellectual side than we may assume. I've spent plenty of time around fashion people, and to characterize them as idiots playing in their closets is wholly unfair.

I don't criticize them for trying new things because fashion has evolved with new experimentations and great creative minds visions...

I just can't stand peacockery...

Some fashion hipsters are just too attention seeking like some kind of middle class teens playing at being a punk rebel ...

The Look at me syndrome is amusing when the person is under 25 , after that it is borderline pathetic...

If you need your clothes to make you interesting ...

Last edited:

chrisb0109

Reaction score

I don't criticize them for trying new things because fashion has evolved with new experimentations and great creative minds visions...

I just can't stand peacockery...

Some fashion hipsters are just too attention seeking like some kind of middle class teens playing at being a punk rebel ...

The Look at me syndrome is amusing when the person is under 25 , after that it is borderline pathetic...

If you need your clothes to make you interesting ...

You are looking at it only from the angle of dressing as a hobby or dressing to appear professional in a business environment. Some of these people are employed to take fashion risks and are expected to wear look at me clothes. It is a different goal, and frankly a different culture all together. Have you every been around or lived in a big art district. The people you think are screaming look at me don't even turn heads.

Wooster isn't walking into a law firm when he goes to work.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Woosters latest pic on tumblr, he is wearing a captoe shoe on one foot and a wingtip on the other. As some here would say, he is taking risk, fishing fashions boundaries.

I am on iPad, so will post pic later. It's all over tumblr

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In Woosters latest pic on tumblr, he is wearing a captoe shoe on one foot and a wingtip on the other. As some here would say, he is taking risk, fishing fashions boundaries.

:facepalm:

Not taking a risk. Plainly utterly stupid.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:facepalm:

Not taking a risk. Plainly utterly stupid.

Sounds like a Mark McNairy special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads