• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleb query: my local overpriced gourmet store sells super expensive dried pasta ($8 - $15 per package). Is high-end imported dried pasta somehow really amazing or would I be a chump to try it out of curiosity?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which producer? Rustichella d'Abruzzo, for example, at 3 € / 500 g (for the "regular" shapes), is amazing. I usually buy De Cecco though (500 g for 1.70 €-ish), which is very good and has a better qpr. $8-$15 sounds like a lot. How much are real canned San Marzano tomatoes?

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should've made a note of the brand names. The $15 pasta was in a fancy gift/presentation box that screamed ripoff. I usually use De Cecco.

Forget how much San Marzano tomatoes are--maybe around $5 for a can?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Making short ribs tomorrow. Any recs for sides? Was thinking of doing a sous vide of carrots and maybe something else

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oven roasted root veg medley?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to Paris early May, need input. If I could only do one splurge meal at a Michelin star place (and even that would probably would have to do a lunch menu; EUR150 to EUR200), what place would you recommend? I love Ducasse's videos, my first pick without really doing any research at all would be Arpege.

Edit: Guy Savoy has a EUR110 lunch menu, perhaps that...

Perhaps a more affordable, fewer michelin-star place to recommend?

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to Paris early May, need input. If I could only do one splurge meal at a Michelin star place (and even that would probably would have to do a lunch menu; EUR150 to EUR200), what place would you recommend? I love Ducasse's videos, my first pick without really doing any research at all would be Arpege.

is this for one person or two?

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

L'Arpege, a Passard restaurant, has a 140 euro lunch menu that's very vegetarian. I had the vegetarian menu quite a few years ago and many dishes had an Asian theme. I found that menu a little hit or miss. The vegetarian sushi is still the best melt in your mouth sushi I've ever had. Other dishes reminded me of Asian dishes but tasted a little off.

I went to Meurice after Ducasse took it over. Place is beautiful and food is good but I'm not in a rush to go back. Here are some pics from the Paris restaurant thread.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/370258/paris-restaurants/0_30#post_7055380

Best bang for the buck (places I would return):
Traditional French : Le Comptoir du Relais (casual ambiance) vs Spring (formal ambiance).
Inventive French : David Toutain

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in terms of 3 Michelin star, L'Arpege lunch is quite good bang-for-your-buck. Many courses are just a single bite but there are still around 20 courses, which is very much up to whim of chef (two different diners might get different things). Almost all vegetarian (there was a fish dish at the end). The atmosphere at lunch is very lively so the whole thing is a lot of fun. I will admit I remember the atmosphere/experience more than the food itself. It was my favorite meal on a recent trip all things considered.

I think Paris' strength is more in the sheer quantity of good food available vs a single meal-to-beat-them-all. I would hop between modern and traditional bistros to get the best food experience.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you had a better time at L'Arpege than I did. I'll be back this summer. Maybe I'll give it a second try.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Knowing nothing about your tastes, who you're going with, etc., I'd say Savoy. The new location looks amazing, and the chances of disappointment are much lower than somewhere like Arpege. IIRC you also get to order off the full menu.

In any of those places, unless you have amazing self control, prepare to pay a bit more than the menu price. Champagne? Sure why not? Coffee? Of course. . . . You get the idea.

I'd consider Le Cinq also (Le Squer is the best IMO), but check what they're serving on the lunch deal first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads