• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i've never heard a clear answer on this...in general, do you need to refrigerate homemade pickled food in jars before you plan on eating it? or at all?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Pickled eggs and pickled "moose dongs" (slice of some horrendous, mystery meat, factory produced emulsified sauage) are two things I survived for years on during my bar days.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
peeling hard boiled eggs are so easy. you just peel a little bit of the ends off then blow/squeeze the egg out of the shell
with freshly cooked hard-boiled eggs, just empty the pan of hot water, pour in cold water and shake the pan so that it cracks the egg shells lightly. peel real easy that way. also, older eggs are easier to peel than new ones (greater air space).

Originally Posted by mordecai
i've never heard a clear answer on this...in general, do you need to refrigerate homemade pickled food in jars before you plan on eating it? or at all?

theoretically, a pickle should be able to be held at room temp. i think i'd refrigerate anyway.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
theoretically, a pickle should be able to be held at room temp. i think i'd refrigerate anyway.
I'm going to agree with that, especially since a small error in canning could invite botculism

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of putting a steak in the oven and letting it get to 120 or so, and then pan searing it at the end?

speedfreak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
What do you guys think of putting a steak in the oven and letting it get to 120 or so, and then pan searing it at the end?

Wouldn't do it. If you first put in the pan and sear it, you can keep it in the oven until it is good to your taste. You can directly check with your fingers how firm the steak is and thus how well it is done on the inside.

If you now however first put in the oven, you would need to anticipate when to take it out, since it will get additional heat in the pan.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thinking is from this post on prime rib from Serious Eats. If you can anticipate when to take it out of the oven before pan searing, couldn't this translate to steaks? I think sous vide steak follows a similar process, no? "So great, you may be thinking—you can sear first or you can sear after, and it makes no difference. What's the big deal? Well the big deal, as some of the more astute readers may have noticed in the timing above, is that if you are starting with a completely raw roast, in order to get a well-browned crust, it takes around 15 minutes in the hot pan, during which time, the meat under the surface on the outer layers of the roast is busy heating up and overcooking, just like they did when roasted in a 400°F oven. On the other hand, in order to get a well-browned crust after the prime rib has roasted, you need only around eight minutes in the pan. Why is this? It all has to do with water. In order for the surface of a roast to reach temperatures above the boiling point of water (212°F), it must first become completely desiccated. When searing raw meat, about half the time it spends in the skillet is spent just getting rid of excess moisture before browning can even begin to occur. You know that vigorous sizzling sound when a steak hits a pan? That's the sound of moisture evaporating and bubbling out from underneath the meat. On the other hand, a prime rib that has first been roasted has had several hours in a hot oven, during which time the exterior has completely dried out, making searing much more efficient, and thus giving all but the very exterior of the meat less of a chance of overcooking." EDIT: Oh, apparently Cook's Illustrated covered this once before, just have to heat the steaks to 90 in a 275 oven and then pan sear. http://www.cookography.com/2007/pan-...hick-cut-steak

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this seems like typical cooks illustrated "there must be a more complicated way to cook something really simple". i'm a charter subscriber, chris kimball is a good friend, but sometimes the way they tie themselves in knots in order to have something to write about makes me crazy.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this seems like typical cooks illustrated "there must be a more complicated way to cook something really simple". i'm a charter subscriber, chris kimball is a good friend, but sometimes the way they tie themselves in knots in order to have something to write about makes me crazy.

+1 their techniques make my head hurt. And their illustrations suck.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's compelling, in a macgyver kind of way. except that usually, all they have to do to escape is open the fr*gging door.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's compelling, in a macgyver kind of way. except that usually, all they have to do to escape is open the fr*gging door.

They often use more steps than one would in fine dining. When I cook for myself at home, it's far less complicated than most of the **** that they do.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
+1 their techniques make my head hurt. And their illustrations suck.

Was it cooks illustrated that used a paper towel to make a French Omelette? That was pretty ridiculous.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
ouch. you think so?

I haven't spent much time looking but there have been quite a number of them where I'm just like wtf? Just take a ******* photo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads