• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsd

Reaction score

I go to Benjamin's on the Row at 8th and Walnut. Be warned that the guy takes freakin' forever - you're almost better off forgetting you had the boots than believing the turnaround time they quote you when you drop them off - but I've been happy with their work.

Also, it's cash only and you pay when you drop them off.
weird never heard of a shoe repair asking for money upfront
i'll scope it out though thank you
is there a thread for tailors/cobblers anywhere on this forum (mc section?) btw? it could be cool to have people list their favorites and make a master list per city

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, have any of you successfully warded off an ebay buyer scam (i.e. "item not as described", "never arrived" etc)? Thankfully hasn't happened to me, but I'd love to know what steps I should take to prevent or resolve it.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, have any of you successfully warded off an ebay buyer scam (i.e. "item not as described", "never arrived" etc)? Thankfully hasn't happened to me, but I'd love to know what steps I should take to prevent or resolve it.

I had it happen before. I was selling one of my girlfriend's Prada handbags and the buyer tried to claim that it reeked of cigarette smoke. My girlfriend had owned the bag since new and neither of us smoke so I knew the buyer was full of ****.

I replied straight away instructing the buyer to send the bag back in it's original condition and I'd refund the price less postage and that I'd be opening a dispute of my own if there was any damage to it that conflicts with photographs I took before sending the item.

I reasoned that this would leave the seller out around $50 if they called my bluff and if they tried to send the package with anything less than signature I would say I never received it. However, they never replied and the case got dropped. Might not work on everyone.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somewhere in my inbox is a long string of messages with Synthese about hair care and styling. I've been using B&B products almost exclusively since then. I started with SumoWax, but found it too greasy and heavy for what I was trying to do. Been using Sumotech for probably the last three years. I think it's around $30 now, but a jar lasts me forever, since you only need a small amount, and I only use it every few days.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you have tracking, and it shows delivered, it doesn't matter what the buyer says, even if the item somehow didn't get to them. (i.e. neighbor stole the package from their porch)

Also, for anyone on the receiving end of such a complaint, call eBay first thing in the morning (unless you want to be on hold for hours); working through one of these things through their resolution center is cumbersome and a riskier way to ensure you don't lose your money.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Sumotech, but I feel like it damages my hair even more than say Layrite, which is water based/soluable.

Stopped using Sumotech since my last jar ran out. Been using Layrite but in small portions and when hair is wet. I find that wet hair helps blend the product more and spread it in my hair (only for long hair IMO, short hair I would dry or leave damp, then, apply product). Works nicely. And I also find Layrite a lot more pliable whereas Sumotech sort of fuzzes. (How pliable it is probably depends on how much product is used.)

6977388414_1d377dffb5.jpg

I believe I was using Sumotech...or Layrite, forgot but it is about the same either product. Might grow it out more on the top. The sides right now is a #3 with a fade. I always try to get to the length like Synthese, Artishard, or Cyc wid it but end up bowing out. It's a lot of hair, a lot of maintenance in my limited experience. And not sure if long hair compliments a receding hairline \ long forehead. :embar:

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I think Gatsby's actually the worst **** ever. I'm in the process of trying out some pomades but I've really wanted to try those Hanz de Fuko products that Nations mentioned (ugh, Canada).

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everytime we talk about hair I buy some $30 pomade, regret it, and go back to Murrays.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't know how anyone can use murrays. So gross and impossible to get out.

Mine washes out every night. I don't even use shampoo, I use a conditioner by Dr. Bronners. But yea it is pretty gross and heavy.

But I'm looking to do something a bit different with my hair this summer. Sort of want it more messy, instead of the perfect hold that Murrays gives. Not really sure what to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads