• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno man Voidthebrand t's look horrible honestly, the only decent looking one is the curve seam. I don't want something that exaggerated. I'm also looking for basic black/heather grey/white/off white colours.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the neckline on vtb is also too tight
silent on sale/b&s is my rec, though the newer ones seem to have a stupid black square (logo?) at the hem

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
silent (on sale) is the answer

also markham area for good chinese food in the GTA, best is in richmond hill though

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm trying to buy a ton of tee's for summer. I like slightly bigger neck openings and longer lengths.
I've tried bread and boxers and they are great out of the bag but all 3 of them shrank to different proportions after a wash, and they got really thin too.
I'm thinking of getting some JE Mercers, also wondering how the T by AW low neck T's are?
And any other recommendations you dudes may have, hopefully cheaper than those 2?

uniqlo, american apparel tri blend

It's a pretty short, packed trip :( I have dinners with colleagues each night. I need to just show up to a San Fran meet one of these days. I remember, back in the day, just happening to wind up at Self Edge during a sufu party and thinking most everyone was weird. I bet SF SF dudes are nice, tho.

Had a good meet last week with Synth, Abraxis, Moo and myself.

Canadian cities are similar.  The best Chinese food, for example, tends to be in North Toronto, where there is a huge Chinese population.  

I think that the main point is that many American cities are not particularly navigable by foot or public transport, or even cab, and to a large extent, that's true.  I feel that San Francisco and New York, and to some extent, Boston, are the exceptions,

Sf is 7x7 miles i believe, something small like that

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs.
Yeah I've been thinking about trying Silent, but the 75-95 of the JE and AW seemed bad enough for T's, then again I will be wearing T's at least 5 days a week.
I've never gotten a good fit with Uniqlo, I ordered a bunch a few weeks ago. Supima, airism, heatech.... multiple sizes, after washing...nothing fit good. The AA Tri-blends are OK but still not a loose neck.
Has anybody tried the AW low necks? Found a few in what I would think are my size on sale, they are the silk/rayon blends though and I'm wondering how sheer the white is.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A viscose tee are nice if you're an M or larger (they only have 1 or 2 sizes). ignore the viscose sexuali name

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I'm trying to buy a ton of tee's for summer. I like slightly bigger neck openings and longer lengths.
I've tried bread and boxers and they are great out of the bag but all 3 of them shrank to different proportions after a wash, and they got really thin too.
I'm thinking of getting some JE Mercers, also wondering how the T by AW low neck T's are?
And any other recommendations you dudes may have, hopefully cheaper than those 2?

I prefer the JE+Co curve u-necks to the mercer tees.

BLK DNM shirts aren't super-nice, but you can find them on sale for < $30. They shrink a bunch, so you might want to size up.

AA viscose tee are nice if you're an M or larger (they only have 1 or 2 sizes). ignore the viscose sexuali name

You mean these ones? http://store.americanapparel.net/viscose-sexuali-tee_rsavc400r

On sale for $17 a pop right now.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Thanks for the recs.
Yeah I've been thinking about trying Silent, but the 75-95 of the JE and AW seemed bad enough for T's, then again I will be wearing T's at least 5 days a week.
I've never gotten a good fit with Uniqlo, I ordered a bunch a few weeks ago. Supima, airism, heatech.... multiple sizes, after washing...nothing fit good. The AA Tri-blends are OK but still not a loose neck. 
Has anybody tried the AW low necks? Found a few in what I would think are my size on sale, they are the silk/rayon blends though and I'm wondering how sheer the white is.

wow can't believe those tees are that much now, weren't they like 50-60 bux before?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like the AW were $65 a few years ago, standard is $80 now with the slub rayon ones at $95 (but I think they've only been around like 2 years).

@notwithit I like the U-necks, the neck is perfect, that's the level of scoop i'm looking for and the T by AW ones seem pretty similar. I acutally have 3 of the JE U neck but the hem gets real wavy for lack of a better word. Maybe they are better now? Mine are all from their first release ~2 years ago and I know they updated some things. The mercer length seems like it would be good for somebody 6'2", the split hem makes me think it wouldn't bunch of up get the wave like the u neck, and the neck is apparently looser than a standard crewneck.

The neck on the AA Viscose is too much for me, and they are apparently "ultra-sheer".

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Canadian cities are similar.  The best Chinese food, for example, tends to be in North Toronto, where there is a huge Chinese population.  

I think that the main point is that many American cities are not particularly navigable by foot or public transport, or even cab, and to a large extent, that's true.  I feel that San Francisco and New York, and to some extent, Boston, are the exceptions,

Navigability is a problem, but I also think that city centers tend to cater to the masses (which here seem to be middle aged tech dudes in polos and blazers) who generally aren't interested in and are sometimes truly afraid of authentic foreign foods. You have to head out to the suburbs to find the Chinese communities who want the Chinese food just like it is in China.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Navigability is a problem, but I also think that city centers tend to cater to the masses (which here seem to be middle aged tech dudes in polos and blazers) who generally aren't interested in and are sometimes truly afraid of authentic foreign foods. You have to head out to the suburbs to find the Chinese communities who want the Chinese food just like it is in China.
That may be true of other cities, but it is not true of Toronto. The "cool" parts of town are all in downtown Toronto, and most of the decent restaurants are similarly located. The Chinese food right downtown is not "inauthentic" either. It's just older style. The food that you get in Toronto's Chinatown is dominated by an older, less refined, style, brought over by the earlier, less affluent, wave of immigrants. Post 1997, the Chinese that came had more money (mostly the equivalent of the middle aged tech dudes you talk about), and businesses sprung up to serve them. It's a food centered culture, which is really different from American culture, so even your guy who has no interest in anything else usually likes, and knows, good food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads